Electric Panel Replacement Cost?

1,170 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by jpd301
agdx88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does this look resaonable. I do not have a count of the breakers (not my house), but the old panel is full and there is a subpanel that looks like it will integrated into the new panel. The connection for the generator seems high on its own. Sugar Land area

Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems about right to me.

I'm just getting started with a whole home rewire on a remodel that began life as a panel change out...
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks fair. How does the drop connect to the house? Is there a mast going through the roof already? If not, may need to be included to bring it up to code.
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd ask what kinda panel is being installed. If it were my house, I would opt for SquareD QO.
agdx88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. It's underground service so no mast through the roof.

I'll have him ask what type of panel and get that added to the quote.

I assume that CenterPoint will need to come pull the meter for this work. If so, wouldn't they will require a permit and an inspection before they reinstall the meter?

I also asked Claude about this and its response was about mid-range for price.
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Make sure he labels everything before pulling the panel and breakers and if gfci is not code required, never let him install it. Those breakers suck balls. Is he going to have the wall patched where the old panel was or just leave it after consolidation? I dont see anything for that. The generator lockout and plug, you are paying mostly for labor there, that is maby 100 in parts and thats on the high end. You honestly could youtube installing an interlock and outdoor 50 amp box. Its maby an hour of work if the wall is open already to run your wire to the panel. If you turn entire panel off just for the breaker connection, its relatively safe too.
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How far is the replacement panel from the meter? The price of the generator connection could be stupid high or a steal depending on whether it's a 5' run or a 50' run and what it takes to get there. It also depends on how far the subpanel is currently and what's on it. That affects the "reconnect all circuitry" number.
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UnderoosAg said:

How far is the replacement panel from the meter? The price of the generator connection could be stupid high or a steal depending on whether it's a 5' run or a 50' run and what it takes to get there. It also depends on how far the subpanel is currently and what's on it. That affects the "reconnect all circuitry" number.

Thats an interesting callout based on the work order wording. If the panel is like on the opposite side of a garage for example and a long run, it doesnt make sense to put the gen plug by the meter, it should correlate to an outside wall nearest your panel. I would assume the wording on the work order is because the panel is likely very close to the meter intake (shared wall just interior vs exterior) and thus the plug would go outside near the meter as that is the closest outside location. There is no code or anything requiring a generator input plug to be near your meter.
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdx88 said:

Thanks. It's underground service so no mast through the roof.

I'll have him ask what type of panel and get that added to the quote.

I assume that CenterPoint will need to come pull the meter for this work. If so, wouldn't they will require a permit and an inspection before they reinstall the meter?


I also asked Claude about this and its response was about mid-range for price.

You will need to set that up if he is not. A permit is required for the meter pull and for the panel upgrade as well. With the approvals and timing required, i am surprised he is not handling the permit and meter pull/restore process. Does he plan to just walk away with a check in hand before the panel is inspected and power is restored? I wouldn't pay him in full until my power was back on and every breaker is confirmed working. Same for your new pool box. Money is your best leverage to get him to fix something if its not working right, so dont pay in full upfront (Big red flag if he demands this) and dont pay him out in full (Assuming either he fronts it all and you pay at end or a 50/50 to cover parts purchase at start and pay rest at end) till you are satisfied with the full job completed.

Permitting Process in Sugar Land
  • Permit Requirement: The City of Sugar Land requires a permit for electrical service modifications, such as replacing a breaker panel.
  • Application: Contractors or homeowners apply online through the Sugar Land Citizen Self Service Portal. A Residential Electrical Service Express permit typically covers service equipment changes without requiring detailed plan submittals.
  • Licensed Electrician: Electrical work in Sugar Land must be performed by a licensed electrician who can pull the permit on your behalf.
CenterPoint Energy Coordination
  • Power Disconnect/Reconnect: CenterPoint controls the electric meter and drop. Your electrician must coordinate with CenterPoint to temporarily cut power at the meter during the swap.
  • Inspection First: The City of Sugar Land must inspect and approve the new panel installation before CenterPoint will restore power to the meter.
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only association I took from that was "put it by the meter" as a means of describing the location, as opposed to put it by the mouse hole. Still need a feel for what all that noted work includes to gauge the price.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I'd ask what kinda panel is being installed. If it were my house, I would opt for SquareD QO.

If it ain't Federal Pacific, it ain't *****
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a pia, but get at least three quotes. You will need a permit.
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Quote:

I'd ask what kinda panel is being installed. If it were my house, I would opt for SquareD QO.

If it ain't Federal Pacific, it ain't *****

Could bring a whole new meaning to your stabbin' (lock?) cabin
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Quote:

I'd ask what kinda panel is being installed. If it were my house, I would opt for SquareD QO.

If it ain't Federal Pacific, it ain't *****


Bulldog, Zinsco or GTFO!
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good time to add whole home surge protection at the new panel.

Make sure it is sized to incorporate all needed breaker and to still have space for future expansion.
RoyVal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah that's definitely a fair price. And yes...pull a permit for this one!
agdx88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the advice and comments. I have passed your shared inteligence along. Turns out the house had a lightening strick and fried some breakers as well as most everything with a small circuit board. Second house for him to get hit by lightening, crazy chances. Needless to say a whole surge surge protector is going to be added. Not sure why it was missing from the quote.
jpd301
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No idea how much it might add but if I was going through a panel upgrade I would go ahead and add a 240v plug in the garage for an EV charger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.