Home Improvement
Sponsored by

New Fence Cost

1,780 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thisguy1
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have a wood fence downed by the storm here in BCS. Trying to figure out if I'm going to try and replace it myself or hire someone else to do it. It's about 60ft.
tgivaughn
AG
Another thread here to search costs that I was reading
made it very clear such a project on my budget would be

a) DIY + shopping surplus privacy boards + metal posts in red sack Quikrete + EZ hole digger ... 10ft/day max.
b) investing in evergreens on drip system if permitted by Restrictions
c) if rural, then cattle fence panels on post driver steel posts, then begin vines/etc on it
IMHO and am sticking to it
dubi
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Have a wood fence downed by the storm here in BCS. Trying to figure out if I'm going to try and replace it myself or hire someone else to do it. It's about 60ft.
Hubby just replaced 64'. He took a few days to sink all the metal posts in concrete. Then he put up 3 cross boards. Lastly was the pickets which went pretty quick.

You can do it.
rlb28
AG
My dad just got a quote that was $42/linear foot
dubi
AG
So i asked my hubby to swag the fence cost. We did 64' with 8' treated pine pickets and he did all the work with a little help from a neighbor getting all the fence boards from the truck to the backyard.

Cost was $18.93 per linear foot which is 1/2 the cost of the quote above which is likely 6' pickets and 4x4 posts..

FYI: He mentioned it would be 1/2 the cost for 6' pickets.

Tom Cardy
AG
wow, I just got a quote right around $30/ft and your post is making me think pretty hard about that
dubi
AG
Tom Cardy said:

wow, I just got a quote right around $30/ft and your post is making me think pretty hard about that
I think the trick in this heat is to do it slow. He would do an hour or so a day after work when it was hot, but then went out early on the weekends to get in the work while it was just 78 degrees and 100% humidity.

I think it took about 2.5 weeks to finish.

And if you are meticulous, it will be a much better fence than what they build. We built the original fence in 2003, so we got 21 years out of it which is pretty darn good. In the next few years, we will need to rebuild the other side and back. Only the one side had really rotted 4x4 posts; we think it was from the sprinkler system in the yard next door keeping the posts wet.

Make sure the fence posts are set in concrete really deep. A friend posted a pic of a brand new DR Horton fence that the wind blew down because the posts were too shallow. She had closed on the house 3 days before Beryl hit.
driver
Ace Fence can probably do it for around $25/ft on steel posts and less $$ of on 4x4 wood posts. That's just basic 3 rail privacy fence with cedar pickets, plus removal of old fence to the curb. The problem might be the lead time…pretty busy. That's fence only, gates are extra $$. And any other add-ons would be extra.
Sazerac
AG
This is pine, not cedar. Doesn't include rot boards, cap, or trim. Very different fence from what most/many are getting quotes for. Just FYI.

We had several done on our street in Houston for low / mid $30s early this year. Includes take down and haul away as well.
dubi
AG
Sazerac said:

This is pine, not cedar. Doesn't include rot boards, cap, or trim. Very different fence from what most/many are getting quotes for. Just FYI.

We had several done on our street in Houston for low / mid $30s early this year. Includes take down and haul away as well.
I suspect the low/mid $30s is a 6' fence.

I am highly allergic to cedar, so that is why it is pine. Also the 20yo fence that it replaced was also pine; I feel 20 years is a decent return on my money.

Hubby left a gap under the fence to alleviate the need for a rot board. No trim or cap just because we are not fancy fence people.

No need to haul away in BCS as they do "heavy trash" pickup right out of my yard. The old fence had fallen so that takes care of the "take down". Sometimes it is that easy and I trust my husband's judgement. The house next door watered too much and that is what rotted our 4x4 posts. The other side of the fence is still solid with just some replacement pickets.

We are in an old neighborhood that does not have an HOA, so we can build any fence we want.

dubi
AG
Tom Cardy said:

Be sure of your quote. Our behind neighbors put up a fence about 15 years ago on the cheap. They used prefab panels 4" dogear boards with 3" rails. The boards are about 1/2" thick and are dissolving. Every post is rotted, it is only held up by the metal posts we have driven in to shore it up.

It has not been enough of a priority for us to do anything about it so far, as we have no kids or animals, and it was installed by them, so the onus is on them for any liability
Thisguy1
I ended up having a guy do it for $28/ft. 6' cedar pickets. Neighbors are older with the husband in a wheelchair so getting help on it was going to be tough. Got a 2 yr old and dogs so it needed to go up quick.

I could have done it for around $850 had I built it myself. So assuming my neighbors would have still split it, I would have personally saved about $400 doing it myself.
Aggie1205
AG
For those getting fences done, did you pay some up front or just upon completion? Should the fence company provide proof of insurance or anything else?
Thisguy1
Mine was half up front, half on completion
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.