Interruption during foundation pour

5,764 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by jokershady
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a contract on a new build from a tract home builder. The post tension foundation pour was today and the ready-mix plant went offline and the pour was interrupted for two hours in the middle of the pour.

The concrete was firm when the pour resumed but it was still dark in color and could be easily scratched. I read that as long as you can still get a vibrator to penetrate your're still good. Well that would have been impossible.

Is this ok? If the answer is complicated, can this foundation be inspected? Or do I just need to eat the escrow and walk?
lb3
AG
Here is a short video of my wife poking the concrete prior to the pour resuming:
Bonfire97
AG
I wouldn't do it - but I am not a civil engineer. Maybe get an opinion from a civil engineering firm on this, but after looking at that video, I just don't see how you would have adequate integration with the first pour (where the rebar is).
lb3
AG
Thanks.

Anyone know any residential civil/structural engineers who could do an inspection in North Galveston County?
rilloaggie
AG
Did you have an engineer do your foundation design? If so, I'd get them in the loop and see what they recommend. If you did a geotechnical report they might be able to recommend someone also. Failing both of those options, Norex is in your neck of the woods and a good outfit.
lb3
AG
This isn't a custom home. It's a tract home from a regional builder. They have their engineer but he wouldn't be independent.
brotherbear
AG
Foundation engineer would definitely be independent of the builder. Ask builder to get stamped letter from engineer signing off on foundation.
lb3
AG
brotherbear said:

Foundation engineer would definitely be independent of the builder. Ask builder to get stamped letter from engineer signing off on foundation.
No sole proprietorship engineering firm that stamps 4 foundations, lot surveys, etc per week for the same builder can be truly independent.
agcivengineer
AG
I work for a large concrete supplier and would not recommend moving forward on this. This slab most likely needs to be removed and replaced. While it may have bonded, it likely isn't enough. They could take a core from the slab and run a split tensile test to measure bond, but if this were my house, I'd walk away or force it to be re-poured.
Whoop Delecto
AG
lb3
AG
Thanks for the recommendations!
agnerd
AG
100% not ok. They need to repour it. Let the builder know that even if it doesn't get repoured and they ask you to move to a different lot that you will pass that video on to the future owner. Extra cost needs to be worked out between the concrete plant and the builder.

Also let the builder know that you find it completely unacceptable that he, his PMs and his tradespeople think this is acceptable. Heck, I'd try to walk away from the builder completely if they're trying to pass that off. They will cut future corners if you aren't watching them like a hawk.
agdx88
AG
Agreed this is not acceptable. Builder should redo the foundation. Builder may rely on the 10 year foundation warranty to avoid redoing it. The product they are providing is not the product you agreed to buy, warranty or not. This is their cost. Force them to fix or be such a pain that they terminate the contract and get your money back.
Thunderstruck xx
I would run away from this builder and terminate the contract. Which builder is this if you don't mind me asking?
lb3
AG
We tried contacting about a dozen engineers. They're all either too busy, unwilling, or uncomfortable writing a report 'pre-failure.' But off the record we've heard from one that two hour interruptions aren't uncommon when accidents happen on the Houston freeways and the mixers time out and have to return to the ready mix plant and dump their loads. Another engineer with a BS and masters in Civil from A&M isn't really concerned at all. I'm shocked but what do I know.

I'm not at all comfortable but if it's going to fail, it will likely occur due to differential loading sometime after the cables are tensioned. We're going to watch it like a hawk and hold off on listing our current house for a while longer.

Unfortunately we have almost zero leverage with this builder. They're the only ones building multiple garages on their lots and RV garages and large shops don't really exist in the suburban Houston market.
tgivaughn
AG
Second "pours" in building foundations Aggieland
Prof. Constr.Sci Struct.eng TAMU long time work-with experiences:
These are only permitted at planned construction joints, located usually at zero moment stress points and adhesion materials are employed between new/old work.
The above is for beam rebar caged & interlaced slab rebar slab-on-grade & also on deep piers systems.

Since post-tensioned work has mostly been a 3rd choice locally, due to volatile soils. Even deep-pockets-TAMU will not do this again (last attempt may have been Bizzel St @ New Main roads. So can't speak to experiences such as yours.

It may not be possible to demo all work that can't be sculpted into a remaining piece that offers a perfect construciton joint as described, then also suitable for post-tensioning.

Once you Google the pros/cons of this PT system, you'll see what some of these remarks are suggesting.

The lawsuits known to me vicariously suggest that these conditions may easily excuse you from any out-of-pocket money in court. A construciton lawyer may produce good results with only letters & time fees. You may be tempted to negotiate a trade w/same builder to another property, also PT foundation. I would not if he proceeds w/no qualms with the one described but then .... I hate PTs.
IMHO and am sticking to it
lb3
AG
They only pulled the forms off the front today. Here are some pics:

lb3
AG
This is the front of the neighboring foundation for comparison. It's nearly perfect relative to ours.
Whoop Delecto
AG
agnerd
AG
lb3 said:

Unfortunately we have almost zero leverage with this builder. They're the only ones building multiple garages on their lots and RV garages and large shops don't really exist in the suburban Houston market.
Their 10-year foundation warranty is worthless when they go bankrupt because they build foundations like this.
agnerd
AG
lb3 said:

This is the front of the neighboring foundation for comparison. It's nearly perfect relative to ours.

Yep, that's what it's supposed to look like.
Martin Cash
AG
lb3 said:

I've got a contract on a new build from a tract home builder. The post tension foundation pour was today and the ready-mix plant went offline and the pour was interrupted for two hours in the middle of the pour.

The concrete was firm when the pour resumed but it was still dark in color and could be easily scratched. I read that as long as you can still get a vibrator to penetrate your're still good. Well that would have been impossible.

Is this ok? If the answer is complicated, can this foundation be inspected? Or do I just need to eat the escrow and walk?
I can't believe no one has touched this line!
sellthefarm
AG
I'm a Civil engineer (not structural - so don't take this as a professional engineering recommendation) and I'm also about to start construction on a custom home. I would walk away from that mess and that builder entirely. There is just no way those PT cables are any good if they are running in proximity to a cold joint that goes all the way across and through the slab.

IMO you are taking a massive risk buying that home. Even if it was a 100 year foundation warranty - do you really want to possibly deal with a massive foundation repair in the future if the foundation fails. Of course you don't. If we are talking $5 or $10K escrow to bail, I would bail. You could try to force them to fix it, but if this is their quality of work then you don't want them anyway.
ktownag08
AG
I'd be exiting that contract no question.

Truthfully, it's good you got an understanding of the type of builder you're working with at this stage than further down the line.
ABATTBQ11
AG
That's a cold joint. There's no bonding there. They need to redo it, or you need to walk.
lb3
AG
ktownag08 said:

I'd be exiting that contract no question.

Truthfully, it's good you got an understanding of the type of builder you're working with at this stage than further down the line.
I had one of their homes built in 2003 which I was happy with it. And in their defense, the ready-mix plant going offline in the middle of the pour isn't their fault. I don't know if they have insurance and whether the plant going off-line qualifies as an act of god or not but I hope to ask the builder that question.

Regardless, walking isn't easy. In another time in my life, walking away would be simple, but I'm on a clock to find a new home, and this is the only suburban builder offering RV garages. I can't move to a rural area and do a custom build.

We've had two engineers off the record say it likely isn't a problem. I hate this and don't fully trust their opinions but I have no experience with concrete bonding or designing post tension slabs so their opinions are all I have to go by right now.

If the top layer doesn't buckle when the cables are tensioned, what is going to happen and at what time scale?

If there is a PE willing to inspect the foundation and stamp a report definitively stating the foundation is good or bad and throw their own liability on the table, I want to know their name. We've contacted a dozen engineers in the past 48 hours and if they will even talk with us, it's off the record.

Right now my only options are to accept it or walk away and move my wife and her business into an apartment until we can find an acceptable alternative option which doesn't currently exist.

fml
op_06
AG
You're in a tough spot. There'll be another house, albeit not on your current scheduling needs. It's hard to remove emotion out of the equation. Sounds like you know the right answer but trying to justify it to yourself to stick with this foundation.

An apartment may be a temporary solution in the grand scheme of things compared with the potential misery a failed slab could create years down the line.

The fact that multiple engineers will only offer comment off the record speaks volumes. It's easy to say it ought to be alright when they're not having to stamp a report and put their name behind it.
FourAggies
AG
If the OP has problems in the future, what does that look like and how is that fixed? Most foundation problems vertical settlement issues, generally needing a pier. Is this two independent plates, which are weaker than a normal foundation and possiby have lateral stress isssues?
62strat
AG
lb3 said:

That's the crappiest foundation pour I've ever seen.

No way you should accept that.

how many cy was the full foundation pour? I would think they'd have all 8-10 trucks filled and on the road to your location by the time the plant 'went offline'.

That's bs.
jpd301
AG
If in a City, can you get the building inspector involved?

I'd hate to see the corners they'll cut on framing the structure itself. Especially in Galveston county when you are basically guaranteed to get a hurricane at some point.

lb3
AG
62strat said:

lb3 said:

That's the crappiest foundation pour I've ever seen.

No way you should accept that.

how many cy was the full foundation pour? I would think they'd have all 8-10 trucks filled and on the road to your location by the time the plant 'went offline'.

That's bs.
They scheduled 2 lots back to back that morning and with two garages (40x21 and 45x21 ) on each of lot, it's probably closer to 40 trucks than 8-10. That said, they screwed up by doing all the beams for each structure before going back and doing the slabs.
lb3
AG
FourAggies said:

If the OP has problems in the future, what does that look like and how is that fixed? Most foundation problems vertical settlement issues, generally needing a pier. Is this two independent plates, which are weaker than a normal foundation and possiby have lateral stress isssues?
The top layer won't slide off. It's more of whether the two layers are strong enough independently to resist cracking from the expansive soils since they can't share the loads like a clean pour could.

I worry about failure of the slab on top. Without the beams bonded to the slab to increasing the moment of inertia, the slab being under lateral compression would have a much lower buckling limit. I don't think the post tension cables would buckle the slab on their own, but if one corner were to see a bit of vertical movement, who knows.

Maybe I can get lucky and it will experience a catastrophic failure next week when the cables are tensioned.
AggieRob93
AG
Tough spot op, but some questions:
Is it worth your financial investment to go forward with this knowing the potential for issue?
Would you be satisfied in the end if the build is allowed to progress knowing the foundation could be a problem based on the current situation?
Can you afford the future repair if the foundation fails?

I hope for all the best here!

agcivengineer
AG
That concrete is clearly segregated and honeycomb. Really bad workmanship imo. At minimum I'd take a core from the location and check if the concrete bonded. New concrete does bond to old concrete, but it's not for certain.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.