Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Murphy bed?

1,450 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by BQ2001
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any thoughts on them? Ideas? Dos or Don'ts. I'm in Aggieland but not in the city limits.
aggieactor01
AG
I did a "build your own" from murphybeds.com. Lined a wall in my home office with shelves and a bed. Turned out great. Easy to assemble. You do need help mounting the bed onto the spring when you get to that point.

They have sales all the time so just watch their site and you can get a good deal.

This is what I did. It was $3700 total (including tax/shipping):

Jetty
AG
Thanks so much!! Really appreciate your input. I'm gonna start looking for a Sale on their site!

Happy New Year!
10andBOUNCE
AG
I've been tempted to put in a murphy bed in our guest room so we can actually use the room for other things instead of just a room that has a bed in it. Seems like such a waste, but I can't commit to the expense quite yet.
UnderoosAg
AG
We did a, as my dad calls it, "estilo Mexicano" Murphy bed. Galvanized pipe and flanges to make a wraparound curtain rod about 12" out from the wall. Full length curtains make it look like a picture window or sliding door. Mattress is up against the wall with cord and small hooks in the wall to hold it upright.

It's in the loft and either drops in place or can be moved to my office to have more privacy. Keeps the mattress out of the way until all the kids and grandkids come over.
http://i.imgur.com/H6jmyPq.png
Quad Dog
AG
I've always wondered why Murphy beds aren't way more popular in dorms, apartments, etc. Putting one in a guest room so it can be used for exercise or something is a good idea. But I've never had one, so maybe there are reasons.
tgivaughn
AG
The trend today is a more useful Queen sleeper sofa with Ideal thick mattress, as the space is better utilized
BUT SLEEP on it or TEST it prior to purchase, else could be a mistake (e.g. bar pressing into back, etc.)
IMHO and am sticking to it
Moral High Horse
My comments regarding our MB:

1. Space wise it's fantastic. I now have an office and a guest bedroom
2. installed as spec'd but I'm still frightened for myself and guests who lay down in it. With the strength of the springs I'm more afraid of it pulling off of the wall and slamming down on whoever is laying on it.
3. We installed against the wall over carpet. So we're pretty much stuck with the carpet in that room for the life of the bed.
4. The bed corners when it's down are a bit sharp so walk carefully around
5. would rather have gotten something like this even though it's a bit of a chunky monkey:

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Moral High Horse said:

2. installed as spec'd but I'm still frightened for myself and guests who lay down in it. With the strength of the springs I'm more afraid of it pulling off of the wall and slamming down on whoever is laying on it.
3. We installed against the wall over carpet. So we're pretty much stuck with the carpet in that room for the life of the bed.
5. would rather have gotten something like this even though it's a bit of a chunky monkey:

That is a true guest bed. Nobody is going to want to sleep on that more than 2 nights.
Moral High Horse
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Moral High Horse said:

That is a true guest bed. Nobody is going to want to sleep on that more than 2 nights.

Ikanizer
AG
We bought a queen size sleeper sofa with a mattress that has an inflatable pillow top on it for our guest/play room. The bed is very comfortable. It was expensive. Gallery furniture in Houston. Today.
BQ2001
AG
Got one for our basement guest room/office/Tonal room from BredaBeds and was really happy with it. Was easy to install and makes the room look huge. I went with Breda because it could handle a thicker mattress that we already had and liked.

I sleep down there in the summer sometimes when it's really hot in Denver or take the dog down during storms/fireworks and it's easy to pull down and put up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.