AC question - drain lines, pan tablets, and backed up sinks

1,625 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rme
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's sink routinely backs up and the AC drain line is tied into it.

Do I need to open up the AC (circled… is that the coil?) to add the pan tablets or can I put them in the open vent (pointed with the arrow)? Would pouring some bleach down the vent help?

I heard adding these pan tabs help with buildup in the drain lines but I don't want to have to cut open all the sealant and open up the AC if I don't have to.

The pics are of my 2 units

htxag09
AG
I pour bleach down that open vent about once a every 3-6 months.

You do not need to open up the ac
tgivaughn
AG
Until a better HVAC tech answer arrives, here's my 2-cents for 40years of Carrier attic units.

I put my SlimeOut tabs (better longer lasting yellow ones on Amazon now)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089Y1R8D2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in the most convenient location I could reach while cleaning my filter =
the coil unit drain "ditch" that carried the juice to where it really needs to be =
actual drain pan for the inside unit. This is where the slime-in-the-ice-machine doesn't get tap/chorine water to kill it, then it slides into your plumbing system and gathers other gremlins to block it up.

The P-trap illustrated might benefit more from Liquid Plumber or another more friendly household flush you can Google.

My experience has been
longer hair = more clogs in sink P-trap sooo
LiqPlumb as a last resort to

https://www.amazon.com/NUGIX-remover-Remover-Cleaning-Kitchen/dp/B0B14D12LW/ref=sr_1_40?crid=20ZQBI5XYW4GJ&keywords=tool+to+clean+hair+out+of+drain&qid=1662415449&sprefix=clean+out+hair%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-40

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Grabber-Bendable-Reaching-35-4inch/dp/B07Y75N3DW/ref=sxin_14_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.d4978b9a-5243-45e6-8cda-2cbab7f4b27b%3Aamzn1.sym.d4978b9a-5243-45e6-8cda-2cbab7f4b27b&crid=20ZQBI5XYW4GJ&cv_ct_cx=tool+to+clean+hair+out+of+drain&keywords=tool+to+clean+hair+out+of+drain&pd_rd_i=B07Y75N3DW&pd_rd_r=230c4ec5-599a-4b4a-b7f7-77f4f7a7b76f&pd_rd_w=jQ3an&pd_rd_wg=f2kcC&pf_rd_p=d4978b9a-5243-45e6-8cda-2cbab7f4b27b&pf_rd_r=HSKZS1T578H8BES88206&qid=1662415449&sprefix=clean+out+hair%2Caps%2C145&sr=1-3-3db28678-d637-4b9f-b596-0fb441b1b408-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUDg4R1FXOEpKWUVNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODYwOTgzMTRETVExVzgxMkJNNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTkzNzQxMTM4QTlMVTREQzQzSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Drainx-50-FT-Plumbing-Gloves-Storage/dp/B07J4Z19QW/ref=sr_1_30?crid=20ZQBI5XYW4GJ&keywords=tool+to+clean+hair+out+of+drain&qid=1662415449&sprefix=clean+out+hair%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-30

https://www.amazon.com/Drain-King-345-Bathroom-Condensation/dp/B001ATBS4W/ref=sr_1_22?crid=1M6TEF6S2PU6M&keywords=sink+blow+out&qid=1662415549&sprefix=sink+blow%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-22
IMHO and am sticking to it
E
AG
Thanks for the input guys!

After bleach in those vents, can I add these tabs to that vent as well? I think they are meant to sit in the coil drain pan
drwong
AG
I drop a couple of those tablets in the vent pipe you have circled every few months
rme
AG
It's the p trap or beyond. Every few years a sink (with a connected condensate line) that is not used often backs up. I have to disconnect the p trap and run a snake about 8 feet into the wall to clear it.
Picard
AG
I pour boiling water down mine every 6 months. Haven't had a single issue yet.

Cromagnum
AG
Picard said:

I don't add boiling water but I do slap a funnel on there and add a pitcher or two of hot water every so often to clear things our. I also leave the tabs in my vent in the same pipe. I never open the front of my AC.
rme
AG
Will the tabs clean up exising junk in the condensate line? Or is it just preventive?
Cromagnum
AG
rme said:

Will the tabs clean up exising junk in the condensate line? Or is it just preventive?

I think it's just an antifungal, which stops the junk from forming in the first place.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Picard said:

It may be no big deal if it immediately flushed away, but PVC temperature rating is only 140F. If boiling water sits behind a clog or in the p trap, it could deform the pipe or connection.
Picard
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Picard said:

It may be no big deal if it immediately flushed away, but PVC temperature rating is only 140F. If boiling water sits behind a clog or in the p trap, it could deform the pipe or connection.

The operating max temp is 140F yes, but the melting point is much higher. There's no pressure when pouring hot water down. And I suppose I should've said hot water instead of boiling water as it's no longer boiling by the time I cart it up into the attic.
rme
AG
My first time using a shop vac on the sink end of the condensate line. Worked great! Was happy to see the issue wasn't in the unit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.