Thoughts on Painter Screw-up

3,431 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wasntme
Texas Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're having the interior of our house painted this week by a painting company. Our quote called for a specific Sherwin-Williams color and sheen. At the last minute, the contractor said that supply issues prevented them from getting the Sherwin-Williams pain and wanted to switch us to the same color in Behr (no alteration in price). After a full day of painting, we discovered that they used the wrong sheen (the correct sheen was listed in both our quote & color specs) on everything that they painted yesterday (about 11 hours of work, nearly the entirety of the job).

What's a reasonable thing to expect in a situation like this? Re-paint everything? Settle for what's done but expect a price adjustment? Nothing and chalk it up to the fact that I should have checked the labels on the paint cans the painters showed up with?
jtp01
AG
What does your contract say? Hold them accountable for exactly what is in the contract.

This is one of the main reasons I require any work done to be spelled out in writing in a contract. Then there is a written agreement by both parties for exactly what is to be done and for how much.
OnlyForNow
AG
Repaint everything or take all labor for the painting off your bill.

If they repaint you should not have to pay for anything.
jtp01
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Repaint everything or take all labor for the painting off your bill.

If they repaint you should not have to pay for anything.

I assume you mean pay for anything more than the agreed upon project?
03_Aggie
If you don't care for the way it turned out then you need to make them fix it.

If at the end of the day you're actually ok with the way it turned out then I would leave it and see what you can get knocked off for the wrong product being used.
mosdefn14
AG
The Behr probably cost him $10/gallon less than the Sherwin Williams. There's the "supply issue". Also, if you picked a SW color and had Behr "match" it, it's going to be off. Our painter tried to do this. We painted samples and it was noticeable. Know that if your husband/wife/designer picked certain colors to go with curtains, rugs, throws, etc.

We had our interior re-textured, primed, painted last year. They re-did the whole house 3 times at their dollar due to the painters using wrong sheens in rooms after missing texture spots. Contract was fixed price.
ftworthag02
AG
not only is it cheaper but I bet the painter didn't want to go to a sherwin williams store and would rather go to home depot.
planoaggie123
AG
Re-do. You don't pay a dime more than original contract.

Also, unless there is a big rush....I would wait for the exact paint you wanted...brand/sheen/color.

You will wish you had the day they leave the job...
ForeverAg
AG
Sherwin Williams is having some significant delays in receiving product so I do believe that is accurate. The quality of pint from Behr to Sherwin Williams is significant enough so I would for sure ask fir a price adjustment just for the difference in paint quality.

As for the sheen, get it right now or you might have to redo it later at an additional cost. If you have a contract then that's easy to enforce.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texas Gator said:

We're having the interior of our house painted this week by a painting company. Our quote called for a specific Sherwin-Williams color and sheen. At the last minute, the contractor said that supply issues prevented them from getting the Sherwin-Williams pain and wanted to switch us to the same color in Behr (no alteration in price). After a full day of painting, we discovered that they used the wrong sheen (the correct sheen was listed in both our quote & color specs) on everything that they painted yesterday (about 11 hours of work, nearly the entirety of the job).

What's a reasonable thing to expect in a situation like this? Re-paint everything? Settle for what's done but expect a price adjustment? Nothing and chalk it up to the fact that I should have checked the labels on the paint cans the painters showed up with?
Did they go up in sheen or down in sheen compared to what you wanted? Going to effect how much pissing and moaning the contractor does. If for some reason they used half gloss you make sure they do something to ensure the new sheen sticks to the wall. I couldn't imagine them using full gloss on a wall, but if for some reason they did they're going to have to TSP, scuff, prime and then paint again. and probably use an oil based primer.

And if a contractor pocketed the obvious quality difference between Behr and SW, they are for sure about to give you the cheapest fix to make you stop pestering them.
JP76
I will vouch for SW having serious delivery issues right now. Product that I use that has always been in stock now has unknown delivery dates and SW is all I use for interior painting on customer's jobs. What was the sheen you were wanting and what would did they put on ?
Gilligan
AG
+ 1

I'm another person who couldn't get what I needed from SW a few weeks ago.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Gilligan said:

+ 1

Same.
PeekingDuck
AG
There are real supply issues at SW. Just another point of reference.
62strat
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Gilligan said:

+ 1

Same.
+1, I was buying paint for my house through a painting sub I work with, the SW store by me was completely out of 4.5 gal. duration in the base I needed. Took a few weeks to get some in.

chick79
AG
Behr is crap. We only used Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore for our remodel. If he's charging you the same using Behr I would tell him to eff off.
Sea Speed
AG
ForeverAg said:

Sherwin Williams is having some significant delays in receiving product so I do believe that is accurate. The quality of pint from Behr to Sherwin Williams is significant enough so I would for sure ask fir a price adjustment just for the difference in paint quality.

This. SO has a few projects involving paint through SW and it is frustrating. You also paid for a paint which is a step up from big box garbage. They need to make it right and you need to stick with the color picked. Its insane how different just slight variations can look.
Sea Speed
AG
Lol read the rest of thread and see that I was likenthe 10th person to Roger up on sw issues.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Don't let the contractor off the hook, they will ***** and whine but it's there mistake to fix. They wouldn't repaint for free if you chose the wrong color, so don't give them that leeway.
agdaddy04
AG
We painted our basement a couple of weeks ago and they were starting to have major issues at SW. Stopped doing samples and had to go to several stores to get what we needed. They said it was because of the Texas warehouse losing a lot during the freeze. Also possibly an issue with the chemical plants getting back up to full capacity?
agdaddy04
AG
https://bestlifeonline.com/paint-shortage-news/
The Fife
chick79 said:

Behr is crap. We only used Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore for our remodel. If he's charging you the same using Behr I would tell him to eff off.
I painted the interior of my house with high grade Behr and am inclined to agree. It doesn't clean up like I want it to nor is the thickness where it needs to be. Can't wait until the last of it is finally used up.
schwack schwack
AG
I, too, am curious about the sheen you picked & what they applied. That would be a big issue to me - a slight color variation probably wouldn't make much difference to us, but sheen is a deal breaker. Also - no way I would pay SW prices for Behr paint.

AgCWby90CS
AG
(didn't mean to reply to a specific post)

Curiosity got me so called local SW rep. Raw Materials Plant in Houston was affected by the freeze. Really messed up piping in and around plant.

PPG also has problems.

They are starting to get back to normal with plants running 24 hours a day.

He said to call if something is not available and they would try to help with comps.
texas.aggie.2010
I have not started my paint research for a project a month from now. Is Benjamin Moore as good s as SW or should I wait for Sherin williams to come back in stock? Based on this thread I won't be buying behr.
Furlock Bones
AG
everyone saying that Behr is a lesser grade/cheaper than SW, it all depends on the level of paint from each company.
one MEEN Ag
AG
texas.aggie.2010 said:

I have not started my paint research for a project a month from now. Is Benjamin Moore as good s as SW or should I wait for Sherin williams to come back in stock? Based on this thread I won't be buying behr.
I would hold them in the same regard. There's various quality levels across each companies product lines as well.

I don't know what you're painting, but I redid my kitchen cabinets with INSL-X and that paint was awesome. Laid flat super easy on a sprayer. Extremely durable. Great quality. Was recommended it by the people behind the counter at the Benjamin Moore store.
62strat
AG
In commercial construction, they use SW. It''s not by chance, it's a better product. I work for GC and with architects/engineers. Every single building spec I've ever seen is SW.

So I use SW, duration for my home exterior that I just did. But the markup is outrageous. It retails at nearly $75/gal. A sub will pay $40-$45. I got a hookup through an SW rep for $25.

Never pay full retail for paint.
agdaddy04
AG
$75?? Never paid that for it. Guess we always wait for the deep sales tho.
planoaggie123
AG
agdaddy04 said:

We paid high 60s for some when we just randomly needed a job done but when we ran low we got our painter to handle and gave him 50 per so he prob made a few bucks per gallon as a "trip fee".
62strat
AG
agdaddy04 said:

my point exactly. I'll say it again, never pay retail for paint. It's akin to paying sticker for a vehicle.
Texas Gator
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was really helpful.

So, in the end, it was pretty much a complete fiasco. The "project manager" (the owner) disappeared and did not respond at all when I contacted him about the paint issue, so I had a couple of subcontractors at my house the morning of the 2nd day with 80% of the painting already done with no idea of what to do. In the end, I let them just finish and get out of my house. The painting itself was pretty crappy.

Essentially, we got rolled. I felt like a moron for not fighting harder, but between signing our contract and painting day, we had a family member in the house diagnosed with terminal cancer. So we just needed to get this over with and move on to more important things.
Sea Speed
AG
Oh my god I'm so sorry. That makes painting just feel completely unimportant and puts life in perspective. Be strong brother.
91AggieLawyer
AG
chick79 said:

I've never actually heard of a professional PAINTER (as opposed to a contractor who does painting) using Behr. They use BM (60) or SW (40 -- percent; at least locally from what I'm told by certain contractors). Some in certain areas might use Kelly Moore, though I don't know how that compares to the big 2.

If they had supply issues with SW, they should have gone BM. Likely he didn't have an account with a BM supply house. I would never use Behr nor would I allow anyone to use it on my properties. My house had a ****ty paint job with Lowes brand paint (the leftover buckets were in the garage). The closets weren't done. I knocked out the shelving, painted with SW, and installed wire shelving in all closets before moving in, but I didn't do the rest of the interior. The quality of the job in the closets was night and day compared to the rest of the house, and I've done exactly THREE interior paint jobs in my life. Due to having to do drywall repair, I've only recently gotten around to repainting the rest of the house during weeks off and such, again, with quality paint. The cheap paint wore faster. The quality paint I put on in one room 5 years ago still looks like what I did in another room one year ago.

Don't settle. I haven't used BM but I'm sure its as good or better than SW.
wasntme
Texas Gator said:

Curious. Where are you located?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.