Aggie maroon paint color

7,413 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jetpilot86
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonna do my garage floor and an accent wall in maroon. Anyone know the tint I give them? BM couldn't work with the info i showed him below.

TIA
Martin Cash
AG
Negley Paint, which was bought out by Coronado paint, used to have a mix called Aggie Maroon. As far as I know, they still do.
hillcountryag86
AG
Martin Cash said:

Negley Paint, which was bought out by Coronado paint, used to have a mix called Aggie Maroon. As far as I know, they still do.
Surprised anyone remembers Negley. We sold it for years and now sell, along with other brands, Coronado. Can't find an Aggie Maroon but, we have a guy who has mixed paint here for 40 years. Several customers asked him to create a formula for Ag maroon and he did.

OP, any paint formula will depend on not only the paint brand, but the sheen and, more important, the line of paint (good, better, best). You won't find a universal formula.

Your best option is to take a color sample to a paint dealer, have them scan it, pick out your paint line (interior, exterior, sheen, quality), and create your color.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
hillcountryag86 said:

Martin Cash said:

Your best option is to take a color sample to a paint dealer, have them scan it, pick out your paint line (interior, exterior, sheen, quality), and create your color.
This. You cant really match paint with RGB or HEX. Take something that is collegiately licensed and preferably on something that can be scanned cleanly (not your buddy's baseball cap), and get it matched.
Jetpilot86
AG
Thanks all!
Martin Cash
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Martin Cash said:

Surprised anyone remembers Negley. We sold it for years and now sell, along with other brands, Coronado. Can't find an Aggie Maroon but, we have a guy who has mixed paint here for 40 years. Several customers asked him to create a formula for Ag maroon and he did.

OP, any paint formula will depend on not only the paint brand, but the sheen and, more important, the line of paint (good, better, best). You won't find a universal formula.

Crylicote was the best paint - ever.
HydroAG
AG
I've got a cousin that works for Sherwin Williams in San Antonio. He shared with me recently, being an Aggie, that he had mixed some "Aggie Maroon" for a customer. He told me he called up either the Bryan or College Station Sherwin Williams store for a paint code. Thought this info could be helpful.
Cramp00
Carful with that. It's dark
lkx398
AG
I used Sherwin Williams Fine Wine (6307) in my home office and it turned out great.
hillcountryag86
AG
Martin Cash said:

hillcountryag86 said:

Martin Cash said:

Crylicote was the best paint - ever.

Yep. Painted the Tower of the Americas.

Still a very good paint but not as good as the original. I still remember going with my father to SA to pick up paint for the store. Was it on Nogalitos?
SZ
AG
Sticker below is official maroon from the Home Depot in cstat

Jetpilot86
AG
selzzz said:

I regret that I have only one blue star to give!

Thanks!
allMondjoy
Sherwin Williams "Marooned" worked for me.
Jetpilot86
AG
allMondjoy said:

Sherwin Williams "Marooned" worked for me.

Unfortunately, No one can get SW quart samples right now.
Jetpilot86
AG
Ok, here are the finalists minus any Sherman Williams contributions as Texas ran out of sample sizes because of the freeze.

The numbers and 80 0 0 sample on the bottom are the RGB Maroon. The samples are the actual paint on the wall. Which one looks closest?

AsburyAg
AG
Of those three I'd say #3.
#1 seems a bit too dark.
#2 looks brownish.

I'm in a mobile so I don't know how that affects the quality of the actual color.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Take the picture in daylight. Your 3300K orange lights are changing the color of it.

As a side note, I hate the temperature of most lightbulbs. 3300K is way too yellow. 5800K is too blue.

Jetpilot86
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Take the picture in daylight. Your 3300K orange lights are changing the color of it.

As a side note, I hate the temperature of most lightbulbs. 3300K is way too yellow. 5800K is too blue.

I'll put up another in a few hours. Right now the area is in morning shade.
Jetpilot86
AG

11:00 am natural lighting. Window to left
one MEEN Ag
AG
I'd probably got with three. Looks pretty close to me.
Jetpilot86
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I'd probably got with three. Looks pretty close to me.
I'm about to add a sample from the BCS Lowes to that mix. Should be interesting.

Everyone has picked 3 so far, which is an off the shelf Behr "Cimarron" from Home Depot, #2 is the formula given to me on the Home Improvement thread.
Jetpilot86
AG
Here are the final finalists. A couple imported from the CS Lowe's today.

The line at the bottom is the color off the Aggie website.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
selzzz said:

This. Why guess?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
We talking Aggie helmets maroon, or Aggie jerseys maroon?

I say 3. The color may also look different when the whole room is a darker color, so I'd consider the lightest shade in the batch.
Jetpilot86
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

selzzz said:

This. Why guess?

That's #2 which exactly no one has called closest to the 80/0/0 line from the website on the bottom. On the wall, it comes out more purple than it looks. Neither of the Aggieland Lowe's formulas fared any better, but #4 seemed better than 2 or 5.

The presumptive winner at this point which 86% have chosen is #3, an off the shelf Behr called Cimmaron.
tgivaughn
AG
Interesting Q in light that this "traditional" color has changed in tint since the 70's

History best explained by someone TAMU employed in Art, as one such client explained to me years ago.
In short, "dried blood" has become more a wine color.

For years, Chapman Paint shop not only sold the best paint (= less labor, better coverage, longer lasting, I.D./decorator choice) but also the best color eyes (person & computer) in the county.
If they don't have the official color on hand, please let everyone know who does?
IMHO and am sticking to it
C1NRB
AG
Shouldn't the university have official Pantone colors listed somewhere?
Jetpilot86
AG
C1NRB said:

They do. They are for print colors. I've found it impossible in my area in Colorado to get that converted to a paint color that appears to match.
SZ
AG
Heres a trailer im rebuilding painted in the home depot maroon. It was maroon enough for me

Scruffy
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

C1NRB said:

They do. They are for print colors. I've found it impossible in my area in Colorado to get that converted to a paint color that appears to match.
Call up BCS Sherwin Williams or PPG.
I and all campus contractors use(d) either brand paint.
They will have the color code and be able to share it with your local store.

I don't remember if there are different shades of Maroon, but I know there are 20+ shades of "Aggie White".
Gunny456
AG
Negely paint co. Was on Basse road right down the street from Prassel Lumber company in San Antonio. Alex Morales was the outside sales rep. Crylicote was the best paint ever... hands down. My dad painted everything we owned with Negely Paints. Bill Negely was the original owner.
hillcountryag86
AG

Jetpilot86
AG
The final product.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.