How often do I need to water my new plants?

1,295 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got some holly bushes, some new grass, and some Pentas planted recently. I've been watering the grass every day but haven't watered the hollys and pentas as much. I noticed that some of the leaves on some of the hollys were turning brown and wilting. Been watering them every night since I noticed but also don't want to over water? How much do I need to be watering all this stuff?
Texker
AG
Mulch?
maddiedou
AG
Never water at night. Never water every day. Water for the the first three weeks every three-four days
maddiedou
ChoppinDs40
AG
Keep the grass soaked. And also roll it to get it to mend with the soil underneath. Grass struggles until the roots break through the sod and get into the soil layer below. The actual sod dries out quick.
The hollies? Water once or twice a week. Don't overwater. They may just be in shock right now.

Pentas? Every couple days but add mulch
mrmill3218
AG
Yes, the pentas and hollys are in mulch.
mrmill3218
AG
maddiedou said:

Never water at night. Never water every day. Water for the the first three weeks every three-four days

Really? I didn't know that watering at night wasn't ideal.

The last couple of days I have been watering the hollys, so I will give them a break. It's hard to water the grass without watering the hollys and pentas though.
mrmill3218
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Keep the grass soaked. And also roll it to get it to mend with the soil underneath. Grass struggles until the roots break through the sod and get into the soil layer below. The actual sod dries out quick.
The hollies? Water once or twice a week. Don't overwater. They may just be in shock right now.

Pentas? Every couple days but add mulch
I have been keeping the grass soaked. How would you roll it?

I will change the routine on the hollies. I figured they needed water since they weren't looking good.

I will add some mulch and water every couple of days.

Thank you everyone for the help.
mrmill3218
AG
I forgot to mention that I have a Japanese maple. How often does it need to be watered?
SJEAg
AG
Night watering can encourage fungus. Dawn or just before is best.
ChoppinDs40
AG
just google "lawn roller" or grass roller. It's like a rolling pin for your kitchen but for grass.

When we first lay sod, we put on muck boots and walk around on it to get it melded together and smoothed while it's soggy.

Keep that grass wet for the first month or so if you want it to be ready by summer.

What kind of grass, btw?
mrmill3218
AG
The guys who put the sod down rolled it and walked on it. It's St. Augustine.
ChoppinDs40
AG
well there you go - just keep it wet (and don't water at night re: fungus)

give it a little while before you mow and then make sure to mow it religiously, once per week on the same day each week.

It won't look good until next year but stay on it this year and you'll be there in no time.

we went from dead, take-all-root-rot, st augustine to this in 5 years.
mrmill3218
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

well there you go - just keep it wet (and don't water at night re: fungus)

give it a little while before you mow and then make sure to mow it religiously, once per week on the same day each week.

It won't look good until next year but stay on it this year and you'll be there in no time.

we went from dead, take-all-root-rot, st augustine to this in 5 years.
I mowed it yesterday for the first time since they put it down 2 weeks ago.

I will water in the morning now.

Does it really need to be mowed once a week?

That lawn is amazing!! Do you do anything else to it besides water?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Follow neil Sperry fertilizing and weed schedule. Water it 3x a week. Mow every Thursday, no matter what.

Yes - mow it every week.
Mowing is what makes grass thicken and grow. Blades that have been cut, no longer grow. So when you cut it, it forces the plant to grow more blades. That's why you can let a lawn grow and not cut it and it'll eventually just stop growing. The plant has enough blades/leafs to sustain life.

Mowing creates a vigorous lawn. That's why golf courses are mowed so frequently.

Edit: to add that you should never cut more than 1/3 of the blade length in a single mowing - this will stress the plant. in order to grow grass very short, it has to be mowed very frequently to prevent this. Again, this is why golf courses are mowed multiple times per week to keep the short and tight grass (also why dwarf variants were engineered, but I digress).

If you let it go too long without mowing, raise your mower and then you can eventually get it lower and tighter if you mow it frequently. For St. Augustine, we did 3" and mowed once a week. I've got a Bermuda lawn now and am mowing it once per week to jumpstart it. Honestly, it really doesn't need it yet (new build home with sod) but I'm trying to kick it into gear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.