Garage floor epoxy on new build

2,889 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGGIE WH08P
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure there's an existing thread but I'm moving into my new build home in about 5 weeks and am interested in putting down an epoxy in the garage before moving items in.

It looks easy enough to DIY but do I need to pressure wash the garage before? I'm reading the prep is the biggest part of ensuring successful application but is that for older floors only? A brand new garage floor should take less prep work, right?

I like the look and the functional benefits of adding the epoxy. TIA
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I would do everything I can to prep it as called out in the spec sheet. It may seem clean, but there's still going to be particles present and you don't want to compromise the adhesion. An ounce of prep work is worth the pound of cure.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
It is easy to do yourself. Most of the hard work is scrubbing with the degreaser and the scrub brush. New slab shouldn't have that issue. I would do a real quick power wash, then do the acid, rinse well, let it dry, then paint it on.

Amature Pro Tip 1. A parmesean cheese shaker does a real good job for your little paint fleks.
Amature Pro Tip 2. One baggie of the grit texture to each of the 2 part epoxy bags. The double box contains 2 of the epoxy bags, so get two grit bags if you need the big box.
Amature Pro Tip 3. Each one of the small boxes does just a little more than a 1 car garage. The big box does just a little more than a 2 car. Etc.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Tip 5. I don't have a solution to this, other than see tip 4, but if you are doing a 3 car garage, try to find some sort of mega box that will cover it all. I don't know if they even make it. I bought a 2 car big box and a 1 car from the same manufacturer, same color and all, but there is a color difference. It is not a big difference, but you can tell. I used the stuff at Home Depot.
evan_aggie
AG
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-2-Gal-Dark-Gray-Semi-Gloss-Professional-Floor-Coating-Kit-2-Pack-238467/203423624

Consider buying 2 of these kits.

Yes, power wash to get rid of the top layer of loose particles, but xylene shouldn't be required.

Go liberal with the clear coat and be sure to use e synthetic sand they include. Maybe even buy another clear coat can to add a 2nd or 3rd layer. You are going to love the results.
kubiak03
AG
get the same lot/batch #'s. Each batch can be a slightly different shade.
Garrelli 5000
AG
If you can, let it dry for several days after washing before applying. You don't want moisture bubbling up later.

Last home we did our own within a few days of moving in. Wash with garden hose and degreaser soap, sit a few days with garage door cracked to facilitate drying, apply. No acid wash since there were no stains to remove nor oil build-up, etc.

Ten years later it was still great.
Take the trash out staff.
RafterAg223
AG
I've played the epoxy garage floor game twice. The stuff doesn't hold up. Skip the epoxy and go with a polyaspartic/polyurea product. It's about twice as much, but usually comes with a 15 year warranty and is light years better than the epoxy products.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I did mine. Moving all the stuff out and finding a dry place for it for about a week was the hardest part. I used originalcolorchips.com.

A lot of people use the light grey, I ended up using the charcoal grey and love it. It's just a bit darker and looks so cool.

I did soooo many (am still doing really) pretty big covid projects. And the garage may be my favorite. I ended up painting the entire garage with left over paint from our recent remodel, patched some holes, caulked the hole place up and added an AC. The garage is so nice but the floors make all the difference

Anyway, do it or get it done. It is really nice
lb3
AG
Alphagarage.com
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Bump!!

Hey NWE…
How was your final outcome? Were you happy with it? Anything you'd do differently? What brand did you end up going with?

I'm considering doing my 3 car garage soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.