Fold down attic ladder repair DFW?

1,825 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Flaith
nomad2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Located in Plano. Our fold down ladder from the attic is in serious need of replacement. A call to our normal (and several other) AC companies did not result in a referral.

Anyone know a company that replaces these?
Flaith
AG
Will Home Depot or Lowes do the removal and install for you or get you in contact with someone who will?

Edit: found this on Lowes website via google search:

https://www.lowes.com/l/attic-ladder-installation.html

This is handyman-level work. I replaced one with a buddy's help in my house I just bought. If you are handy, it is a half day job to remove the old one and install the new one. Then you can trim and paint it at your leisure.

Just make sure to use actual lag screws and not drywall screws to attach it to the joists.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I bought 2 of them to replace at my house when we moved in. They had the original ones (wooden) from the build (1987). Got them off Amazon; aluminum ones.

2nd the effect of lag screws (1/4" x 3"). You'll use a flexible strap to hang it temporarily, I used sheetrock screws, then come back with lag screws. You'll use 14 of them around the border. The ladder has lots of holes at the bottom to allow for getting the length just right. For both of them, I did have to cut some of the metal off the 2nd folding part; the 3rd part is the finished foot part. You can use a hacksaw or recip saw. Hacksaw just takes a while.

The first one took me about 3 hours total to get it installed and operational. Took another hour or so to put the trim back in; I haven't finished it fully, as it in the garage. The 2nd one took me about 1.5-2 hours to install and about 3 hours to finish up. This is in the house (kids' room) and needed to be finished. I painted it (after finally finding matching paint from the previous owners) and it was done.

It is a 2 person job, but only for the actually raising and temporarily installing it. After that, single man job. One other bit needed was wood spacers. The older system was wider than my new one, even though the new one has a bigger hole to go in and out of. I think I needed about 1/2" wood to fill the gap so I could use the old molding without having to get new stuff. I think I needed 1/2" by 2" tall by 36" long or 24" long. One of the ladders needed a spacer; the other one did not.

Tools needed:
You'll need a drill and lag driver; I have a impact driver and drill (2). You could use a rachet set and drill.
A step stool or ladder is also needed.
A hacksaw or recip saw with metal cutting blade.
14 lag screws (1/4" by 3" long)
Deck screws or similar for temp hanging
Paint for touchup/finishing
Caulk
Thin plywood or wood for filler.

I see the job as a handy-man type job. I doubt there is a company that would install it for you. Could get a handy friend and some beer and you'll be good to go.

~egon
Flaith
AG
I followed this guy's advice and screwed in two 1x2s to create a flush temporary mount. Difference is I had a friend in the attic to help me manhandle it in place from above.

14 lag screws?! I think its more like 6-8 on most ladders. Two at the head, two in the hinges, two at the foot, and maybe two more for each side (total 8).
Builder93
AG
14 lag screws! Do you shop at the big and tall store?
Aggietaco
AG
Whatever random ladder I looked at on HD calls for 10 total, 4 at front and 3 on each side.
nomad2007
AG
Thanks for the replies. I think the wife and I are just going to install one ourselves after looking at the videos.
Dr. Doctor
AG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GVJD8PI

What I bought. 4 lag bolts on the side each and 3 on the front and back. 14 total. Technicalities, you are supposed to go through the metal bracket that holds the gas cylinder. But that's too small for the 1/4" lag screw. The 10 penny nail they provide will work, but i wanted something more solid. A box of screws was cheaper than 28 individual screws, but I was installing 2 ladders.

~egon

Edit- recently replaced both HVAC systems at my house. Glad I had changed the ladder, as the crew would have destroyed the old wooden ladder with ease removing and installing the equipment.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Correct me if I'm wrong, but use nails instead of screws, or both. Last time I sold a house that was one of the items listed. Mine was screwed in instead of nailed. Said for that kind of downward f.orce it needed nails.
Texker
AG
nomad2007 said:

Thanks for the replies. I think the wife and I are just going to install one ourselves after looking at the videos.
Very well. Make sure you buy the model that includes legal counsel on a divorce when you register the product.
Aggietaco
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but use nails instead of screws, or both. Last time I sold a house that was one of the items listed. Mine was screwed in instead of nailed. Said for that kind of downward f.orce it needed nails.

You can find structural screws now that are rated for shear, but yes, you typically use nails in any framing application. In this case, lag bolts are not screws and will also withstand the shear forces.
Flaith
AG
exactly... hence the comment about making sure to buy actual rated lag screws that are rated for shear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.