Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Lawn Questions - Leveling and Watering

1,060 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jtraggie99
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in McKinney and have a lot of clay soil (in case that matters). What's the best thing to use to fill in low spots in my yard? In the past (without knowing any better), I've bought this stuff at HD that's a mixture of topsoil and peat-moss. It does ok, but I'm wondering if I should be using something else.

Also, what do you guys in the north Texas area (with clay soil) for watering? What kind of schedule? I realize most will say it's better to do one or maybe two longer watering's a week. My understanding is that clay soil can only absorb so much at a time. And longer watering's can end up with run-off. Along with the clay soil, my backyard and side yard slope down to the street (I have a corner lot). So if I water too much at one time, it just ends up running down to the street and pooling along the curb. I've sort of tried to combat this by staggering sprinkler times. For example, right now I have 3, 7 minute intervals, spaced an hour and a half apart. I also water early morning. And this time of year, with temps in the 90's and if we go days without rain, I'm watering almost every other day. Yeah, it sounds like a lot to me too. I will add that part of this is to maintain moisture levels around my foundation in addition to the grass. I will say I am very cognizant of watching the weather and shutting off the sprinklers when rain is in the forecast and adjusting my schedule based on rainfall.

Anyway, i'm just curious what others do or any advice.
bco2003
AG
jtraggie99 said:

Also, what do you guys in the north Texas area (with clay soil) for watering? What kind of schedule? I realize most will say it's better to do one or maybe two longer watering's a week. My understanding is that clay soil can only absorb so much at a time. And longer watering's can end up with run-off. Along with the clay soil, my backyard and side yard slope down to the street (I have a corner lot). So if I water too much at one time, it just ends up running down to the street and pooling along the curb. I've sort of tried to combat this by staggering sprinkler times. For example, right now I have 3, 7 minute intervals, spaced an hour and a half apart. I also water early morning. And this time of year, with temps in the 90's and if we go days without rain, I'm watering almost every other day. Yeah, it sounds like a lot to me too. I will add that part of this is to maintain moisture levels around my foundation in addition to the grass. I will say I am very cognizant of watching the weather and shutting off the sprinklers when rain is in the forecast and adjusting my schedule based on rainfall.

I'm in Frisco with the same clay soil, and my grass is plenty green watering once per week.

A Rachio or other wifi irrigation controller makes it easy to soak and cycle, giving the clay the time to un-saturate between cycles. Does a good job calculating the times automatically.
jtraggie99
AG
bco2003 said:

jtraggie99 said:

I'm in Frisco with the same clay soil, and my grass is plenty green watering once per week.

A Rachio or other wifi irrigation controller makes it easy to soak and cycle, giving the clay the time to un-saturate between cycles. Does a good job calculating the times automatically.
Are you saying it calculates the number of cycles and length and time between for you? That's...kind of cool...

Flaith
AG
jtraggie99 said:

bco2003 said:

jtraggie99 said:

Are you saying it calculates the number of cycles and length and time between for you? That's...kind of cool...

Yes exactly. You input info about the zone - plant type, root depth, soil type, % sun, etc, and let the controller do the rest. It uses weather data to determine saturation levels and when to water each zone.
Aggie71013
AG
Just be careful when you first install. Had a coworker who installed one and the initial analysis from Rachio is that it wanted to run for something crazy like 10 to 12 hours to get the soil moisture to the desired level.

Worked itself out after he updated settings but just a watch point.
Flaith
AG
yes, the durations were ridiculous if you just plug in and go. Once you adjust for soil efficiency, root depth, etc, it starts to come down. Best to do research and tweak with the advanced settings.

Even then, i reduced durations a little more. As cool as $200 water bills are, I don't mind spreading the load out a bit
jtraggie99
AG
Thanks everyone!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.