Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Multi-Postion Ladders?

5,937 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggieangler93
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need a new ladder. New house has really high valuted ceilings and need to be able to get up on the roof and clean gutters.

Never owned one but looking at a multi-position ladders. Any pros/cons would be appreciated.

Will likely be used as a traditional step ladder but definitely need the functionality of an extension so thinking an "all-in-one" could be my best bet vs two separate.

Biggest concern is maybe they are so clunky and hard to use that after a while I might just wish I had two separate ladders.

Also, what do you all use to determine necessary height requirement of a ladder?

Thanks!!!
aggiedent
AG
I have one. It sits on it's ladder rack and never gets used. Why? It's as heavy and awkward as F.
planoaggie123
AG
Darn. That is what I was worried about. So maybe one step ladder and one extension is best bet? Guessing that is what you do?

Really like the all in one concept but maybe too good to be true?
BrazosDog02
AG
I use a Little Giant for roofing inspections. It's the old original version so it's heavy as all hell. How tall are your ceilings? I like my ladder but occasionally I need a 24' ladder and the one I have won't get to those roofs. It's not really designed to. That said, it covered 95% of my needs and allows me to not have to haul around a full blown extension ladder which is nice.

I think Werner now has a version of my ladder and it's a LOT lighter in weight.
planoaggie123
AG
I need to figure out how to measure to be sure but most ceilings are 9ft but we have several spots in bedrooms, office, formal living where pretty sure they are 14+
Aggie Apple
AG
jtraggie99
AG
I bought one of these last November when HD had it on sale for almost half off (the 22' - 375lb). I needed something taller than what I had in order to put Christmas lights on my roof. Anyway, yeah, it's kind of heavy, but I like it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-22-ft-Reach-5-in-1-Telescoping-Aluminum-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-375-lbs-Load-Capacity-Type-IAA-Duty-Rating-MTIAA-22/305884889
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks for the reply. Definitely think I need to run to HD and just try picking it up and getting a sense. I don't really need to save space. Can easily store multiple ladders in garage but just thought a single multipurpose might be best. Don't want to be annoyed by the weight each time I go to get it.
agcivengineer
AG
Ive had one for about 10 years and like it. They are heavy, but do work for multiple uses. Getting it to the right height takes effort each time, but i didnt have to buy and store 2 ladders.
Flashdiaz
AG
Just got a gorilla one from HD mainly because I needed an a frame ladder about 10 ft. I think it's light but I'm strong like bull. But seriously you can go into hd and pick different ones up to see if it's heavy. I like it so far, more stable than my other step ladder.
DallasAggies01
AG
I've got a little giant ladder and use it often. Very easy to extend to different heights and then bring back again. I don't think weight is much of an issue.
Potcake
AG
I have a 12' step ladder and a Gorilla. I use the Gorilla for cleaning Big Ass ceiling fans and to change battery in a smoke alarm about 20' up. As previously mentioned, the Gorilla can be heavy and awkward but it's useful.
chaca5151
I purchased a little giant ladder from Lowes over black friday and I have 12ft ceilings and works just fine. Plus it extends to 17ft for me to get on the roof.

I didn't think it was all that heavy and folds up nicely.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
lotsofhp
AG
I'll put in a vote for having one extension ladder and one A-frame ladder. Or a couple different size A-frame ladders.

Those little giant type ladders are heavy as hell in my opinion. Also, while they are very versatile, it's a pain in the but getting them all situated to perform the task you need.

Thought I will say they are very stable when you finally get them oriented the way you want them. That is nice.

Extension ladders are the way to go for getting on the roof in my opinion. I'm a roofing contractor also.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks for all the reply's. Probably a few weeks away from buying so appreciate any more thoughts. Will have to go check them out in person. Will try and not forget to post what I decide on once I purchase.
Aggietaco
AG
They aren't really a pain to set up, just heavy. I have the Werner posted above and use it for everything. I borrow an extension ladder when i need it (cleaning gables).
planoaggie123
AG
What size did you get? Is the extension not high enough for you?
Cromagnum
AG
I have one of those telescoping ladders from Lowes than can serve as a straight step ladder, a-frame, asymmetric a-frame, or part of a scaffold. While versatile, its heavy AF and pretty tough to maneuver when fully extended. You can usually get them 50% off at black friday deals.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I have a folding version of a ladder I got as a gift from my dad (who got it as a gift from a family friend...)

It has 4 sections and can fold up or stay in length. I think overall it is 16' tall; I usually keep it in the garage folded in half.

Makes getting onto the roof easy (12' with 4' extension to roof), can reach up tall, can fold into 4' scaffolding or act as an A frame.

Not too terribly heavy, but can't hold more than 250 or 300 lbs (I'm at 220-230, so not a lot of 'tool' weight available).

But I would get it or a longer version if I needed one.

~egon
Caliber
AG
I have a 22' little giant and love it. I'm pretty strong, so the weight isn't an issue for me, but is definitely an issue for my wife. Then again, my wife would just prefer to use the 3 step step stool we keep in the house anyway, light and easy, anything taller would be left to me anyway...

I like the versatility in one ladder, easy enough to move around.

Maybe its changed, but the werner height adjustment levers/locks (whatever you want to call them) suck. The little giant system makes adjusting heights a ton easier, quickly snaps in and out of place and once you are close you just close it and it will lock in at the next rung with ease. The werner's also get tougher over the years and I really hate my parents werner ladder.

I also like that mine has wheels on the bottom, so even easier to move.

one MEEN Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Need a new ladder. New house has really high valuted ceilings and need to be able to get up on the roof and clean gutters.

Never owned one but looking at a multi-position ladders. Any pros/cons would be appreciated.

Will likely be used as a traditional step ladder but definitely need the functionality of an extension so thinking an "all-in-one" could be my best bet vs two separate.

Biggest concern is maybe they are so clunky and hard to use that after a while I might just wish I had two separate ladders.

Also, what do you all use to determine necessary height requirement of a ladder?

Thanks!!!

The multi position ladders are great, they are heavy though. One thing you can do to make it lighter is to take the extensions off of it and store it in the garage. That'll give you a perfectly good, light ladder for inside the home use and then the one time a year you clean the gutters you can put the extensions on it.

62strat
AG
I use 24' extension and then have two 6' As and an 8' A. Then inside we have a little 3 step stool and a 2 step stool. That pretty much covers everything.
sleepybeagle
AG
animated gif
lotsofhp
AG
I've been laughing at QVC ladder fails for at least 10 years now. Classic
62strat
AG
sleepybeagle said:

animated gif

The ladder bends and his hand points to the connection - 'See now it's locked'.

Ladder falls - 'see you have to lock it first.. it wasn't locked!'

lotsofhp
AG
I'd never seen that QVC ladder fail. I have only ever seen this one:

Edit to add: both gifs are great examples of how carful you need to be on ladders. You can really hurt yourself bad. Both of these guys hit the ground pretty dang hard
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I am for separate ladders. I have an extension and a couple of a-frame ladders. A 6 ft a-frame is very useful. I also have a 10 ft. Don't waste storage on a 4ft. I borrowed a folding one once, and everything was a pain with it.

For in the house/pantry, we bought a light aluminum one, and it gets a ton of use.

We bought the 3 step when it was on sale.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/polder-3--and-5-step-aluminum-folding-ladders/d?productId=10000800&q=step%20ladder

Aggietaco
AG
That makes my back hurt just watching it.
Aggietaco
AG
planoaggie123 said:

What size did you get? Is the extension not high enough for you?

It's 22' fully extended, by the time you angle it out, it's only around 18/19' at the tippity top. Sometimes you just need to borrow an extension ladder (I've borrowed a boom lift to trim trees as well).
62strat
AG
lotsofhp said:

Edit to add: both gifs are great examples of how carful you need to be on ladders. You can really hurt yourself bad. Both of these guys hit the ground pretty dang hard
My good buddy was on his 6' A frame ladder, just on the third step. He goes to climb down, and thought he was on the second step, so he 'dismounts' one step too early. Landed weird on his ankle/leg, crushed it, and was in a wheel chair for 5 months.
lotsofhp
AG
Perfect example

I'm obviously on ladders all day every day and can't tell you how many stories home owners have told me of their accidents as I'm setting up my ladder.
ABATTBQ11
AG
IIRC, most construction related deaths are from falls less than 6'.
The Kraken
AG
62strat said:

lotsofhp said:

My good buddy was on his 6' A frame ladder, just on the third step. He goes to climb down, and thought he was on the second step, so he 'dismounts' one step too early. Landed weird on his ankle/leg, crushed it, and was in a wheel chair for 5 months.
I have a friend from HS who was up on an extension ladder on the exterior of his home. The ladder fell to the side and he suffered about a 12' fall that resulted in a compound fracture a leg/ankle. After multiple surgeries infection set in and he ended up with an amputation.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Absolute
AG
Werner version (HD or Lowes) of the little giant version. Half the price of the little giant brand and I like them better. Have used the heck out of them for 16 years for work.

Only downside is they do get heavy in longer sizes. But the flexibility is worth it, IMHO. It's not like tall ladders of other types are light.
UnderoosAg
AG
Maybe I'm just old and fat, but the combos are uncomfortable. When you need the height, the skinny rungs of an extension are necessary. When you are on one for a significant amount of time, the wider steps on a step ladder feel better.

And as noted they're heavy AF.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.