What's the best toilet?

8,311 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FarmerJohn
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every year I try to do a couple of improvement projects around the house. This year I think I want to upgrade the toilets.

I'd like ones that are taller than normal.

And has strong flushing power.

Suggestions?
Builder93
AG
Had good results with the American Standard Cadet.
ECC
AG
Replaced all of mine this year with the Kohler Highline Arc. No complaints!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Highline-Arc-The-Complete-Solution-2-Piece-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-Slow-Close-Seat-Included-K-78279-0/307908571
03_Aggie
We did Toto Drakes when we redid the kids bath and half bath. Been happy with them.
ftworthag02
AG
Toto
shihitemuslim
AG
DXV
Mission Ranch AG
AG
Toto Vespin II C200
P.H. Dexippus
AG
On a related note, replace every one of the toilet supply lines in your house if you haven't done so in the past 5-7 years. Not only because they will eventually wear out (with potentially catastrophic results), but the most popular design for supply lines prior 2012 had an alleged design defect.

http://www.duraprotoiletconnectorsettlement.com/Home/Products

Millions sold in the US, under 7+ different labels (not just DuraPro).
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Birddog
AG
Bathroom reno and we went with Toto. Very very pleased.
evan_aggie
AG
Also have a Toto and highly recommend...unsure exactly type.
Picard
AG
Here's a vote for Kohler Cimarron!

I pulled all three of our builders grade toilets last year and replaced with the comfort height Kohler Cimarron. Flush is powerful and the jets well-distribute the flush around the bowl. Love them. Clogging never happens now.

babyshark
Can't go wrong as long as it has a Honda engine
MikesFamousJava
AG
The one that someone else cleans?

On a serious note, I spent a couple of weeks in Japan this fall, and most of their toilets had bidets and heated seats. I never had the guts to try the bidet, but those heated seats sure were nice. Next time I need to replace a toilet, I'll probably add a heated seat.
Whoop Delecto
AG
nai06
AG
get a toto washlet seat
BackwardsInBoots
AG
One with a Japanese-style heated seat/bidet.
buddybee
Toto is the way to make waste go away.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
In Texas, we are restricted to 1.28-gallon flush toilets. (Many states still allow 1.6 gallons.)

I have Toto Drake II in my home, and I highly recommend them. I considered American Standard with the Vormax flush as well. Here are my recommendations based on the advice in this thread.

Also, I recommend a slow close seat.

Toto Drake 2
https://www.supply.com/toto-drake-1.28-gpf-elongated-two-piece-toilet-cst744e-01-cotton-white/p9978

American standard with Vormax & self-cleaning.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Standard-ActiClean-White-WaterSense-Elongated-Chair-Height-2-Piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000059443
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-VorMax-Plus-Tall-Height-2-Piece-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-with-Slow-Close-Seat-708AA101-020/301379318

Toilet & Bidet in one
https://www.amazon.com/American-Standard-297AA204-291-Advanced-Alabaster/dp/B07PYSJR6Y/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=297AA204-291&qid=1559238980&s=gateway&sr=8-2
javajaws
AG
Its been a year since I used a Toto Washlet...but I can still remember what it felt like when it was cleaning my butt!
Aggie1
AG
Some other suggestions:
If you are:
a tall person, or
have back trouble, or
older, or
physical issues...

Get an elongated bowl!!! (shorter round bowls just are not made for a man!!)
get a bowl height of at least 16 inches, 18 preferable... (but the ladies may not like it that tall...) reference your favorite chair height as a guide...
get a minimum 1.6 flush
single flush uses all water each time
a 2-stage "double" flush uses smaller amounts for #1, and all water for #2.
makes a difference...

I recommend an ADA high seat toilet such as...
STALNAKER SIPHONIC ELONGATED TWO-PIECE TOILET - ADA COMPLIANT
https://www.signaturehardware.com/stalnaker-siphonic-two-piece-elongated-toilet-19-ada-compliant-1.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA4iabEY7mU8zonbyOnKx4nP1TRasYM0NoBFV307WhhBqwt5V6nlLORoCIPEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And get a padded seat (you may laugh, but it makes a huge difference in comfort... especially if you have hip or back problems
Walmart, HD, Lowe's etc all have them for $10-$30 or so...
htxag09
AG
We recently replaced ours with the cheapest Kohler toilets that had the elongated bowl and were the taller height. They've been great so far.

A good friend just built a house and they had electric outlets put in near every toilet for if/when they upgrade to the toilets with heated seats and bidets.
TMoney2007
AG
I also think soft close seats are good if you can get them, and the seats you can remove to clean easily are nice to have.
aftershock
https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Champion-4-Max-Tall-Height-2-Piece-HET-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-with-Slow-Close-Seat-2586-128ST-020/203182005

"It achieves the highest bulk removal rating of 1000 g and will even flush a bucket of golf balls."

I bought this one, and it really got me out of a situation when the golf range manager showed up demanding the bucket of balls I stole. It was one of those features that was better to have it than not need it, than to need it and not have it. Sure am glad I had it.
Gary79Ag
AG
aftershock said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Champion-4-Max-Tall-Height-2-Piece-HET-1-28-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-with-Slow-Close-Seat-2586-128ST-020/203182005

"It achieves the highest bulk removal rating of 1000 g and will even flush a bucket of golf balls."

I bought this one, and it really got me out of a situation when the golf range manager showed up demanding the bucket of balls I stole. It was one of those features that was better to have it than not need it, than to need it and not have it. Sure am glad I had it.
When renovating our home about 6 years ago, we bought 3 of these. I installed 2 early on and was so disappointed with them, that I returned the 3rd for another brand toilet.

Anyway, about a year ago, one of the water tanks cracked diagonally in the front of the unit so I initially caulked it up until I got a replacement toilet. About 2 months after the first tank cracked, the second did as well in the opposite direction. It's currently still caulked up until I replace it with a new toilet.

So, for some reason, both of the Champions had stress fractures so good luck if that's one anybody uses! Plus, you had to hold the handle down when flushing, or it was a very limited flush. Either way, it usually took a minimum of 2 flushes to clean thoroughly...
schwack schwack
AG

Quote:

Toto

When you sit down does it play

"I bless the rains down in Africa (ah, gonna take the time)

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had (ooh, ooh)"

??

(Last Dad joke of 2019)

planoaggie123
AG
Picard said:

Here's a vote for Kohler Cimarron!

I pulled all three of our builders grade toilets last year and replaced with the comfort height Kohler Cimarron. Flush is powerful and the jets well-distribute the flush around the bowl. Love them. Clogging never happens now.

We replaced 2 toilets with these (Kohler Cimarron) in our previous home and were very happy with them.

New home is all Toto (minus one...think its American Standard) and I dont know the style of any of them but honestly very happy with the Toto...they flush well and the handle feels solid when you push it. My in-laws have a prett nice little house that they just re-did and used Toto throughout.
JP76
For the price this is one of the best toilets that I have found. I've probably installed 20 of them in the past 5 years and everyone has been amazed at the flushing power. Also they are elongated but the total length is less than most of the other elongated toilets of space is an issue. If you are bored go dig up the consumer reports on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AquaSource-Henshaw-White-WaterSense-Elongated-Chair-Height-2-Piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000340935
JP76
Gary79Ag said:

aftershock said:

When renovating our home about 6 years ago, we bought 3 of these. I installed 2 early on and was so disappointed with them, that I returned the 3rd for another brand toilet.

Anyway, about a year ago, one of the water tanks cracked diagonally in the front of the unit so I initially caulked it up until I got a replacement toilet. About 2 months after the first tank cracked, the second did as well in the opposite direction. It's currently still caulked up until I replace it with a new toilet.

So, for some reason, both of the Champions had stress fractures so good luck if that's one anybody uses! Plus, you had to hold the handle down when flushing, or it was a very limited flush. Either way, it usually took a minimum of 2 flushes to clean thoroughly...

I've installed 2 of these champions and it will definitely move down waste with the 2 3/8 trap and 4 inch valve. Both were done for a customer who was always having to use plungers on the old toilets. A decade later they still say they like them. At the time my concern were service parts would be harder to come by if needed when a plumbing supply wasn't open but I believe Home Depot carries 4 inch parts now.
YellAg2004
AG
We replaced all of our's with Kohler Highline Classics during our remodel. I have no complaints and haven't had to use a plunger since we installed them (not for lack of trying).
Garrelli 5000
AG
We went with Kohler Memoirs Stately comfort height on our new build. So far so good.

The soft close seats are great. Never worry about needing to gently set it down to prevent noise. Of course then when you're somewhere else you get used to just flipping it down and BOOM oh yeah this place doesn't have soft close toilets.
JP76
Adam Ag 98 said:

We went with Kohler Memoirs Stately comfort height on our new build. So far so good.

The soft close seats are great. Never worry about needing to gently set it down to prevent noise. Of course then when you're somewhere else you get used to just flipping it down and BOOM oh yeah this place doesn't have soft close toilets.

I've installed 2 of these on remodels that I have done. Great toilet but it is a beast in terms of weight. Most don't want to drop $500 on a toilet so my experience is limited on them.
chris1515
AG
Good info. Thanks everyone.

This is probably a dumb question, but when you buy a new toilet, does it come with all of the hardware in the tank, or do you have to buy that separately?
Gary79Ag
AG
chris1515 said:

Good info. Thanks everyone.

This is probably a dumb question, but when you buy a new toilet, does it come with all of the hardware in the tank, or do you have to buy that separately?
All is included...
MasterOfNone
I make a point not to buy Kohler toilets. Many of the replaceable parts are proprietary and change often so its difficult to replace anything. I have been buying American Standard Cadet 3 toilets and have had good luck although I may have to try a Toto next.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.