Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Sewer cleanout?

1,390 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by harge57
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any idea how this is supposed to come off? Does it twist off? Didn't want to force it and break it.

I don't seem to have a lateral cleanout access, just this.
Martin Q. Blank
Force it off. If it's glued, it shouldn't be anyway.
harge57
AG
Is it likely glued or threaded in? If it's glued in I am afraid once I get it off I will have to get creative to seal it back up.
Whitetail
AG
The PVC part you are showing is just a simple 2" cap like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-2-in-PVC-Sch-40-Socket-Cap-PVC021161600HD/203811678

The cap you have is glued to something. These are usually just glued to bare 2" PVC pipe. What can you see in the crack?
Whitetail
AG
I'll add, it looks like the PVC is inserted into one of these by the markings:

https://www.tylerpipe.com/upl/downloads/catalog/products/ty-seal-gaskets-95c5a2b9.pdf

It is a compression type of fitting.
Martin Q. Blank
harge57 said:

Is it likely glued or threaded in? If it's glued in I am afraid once I get it off I will have to get creative to seal it back up.
It is a cap either glued or stuck on a piece of PVC. That piece of PVC is inserted into a fernco (rubber) fitting which creates a seal between the PVC and the cast iron outer fitting.

Just yank as hard as you can on the cap. Either the cap will come off or the piece of PVC will.
Martin Q. Blank
Once it's all out, you can probably find a fernco plug instead of dealing with PVC.
harge57
AG
Was able knock the cap off with a rubber mallet. Unfortunately was not able to clear anything.

I was able to knock it right back on with the mallet.

Plumbers rec for Dallas/Lake Highlands?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.