Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Securing a wrought iron gate latch

1,994 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 87IE
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our wrought iron gate has a latch similar to the picture below. Rather than screwing into the wrought iron, it has u-bolts that wrap around, secured by nuts on the inside of the gate.

We can put a lock on the latch, but anyone w/a socket wrench could reach through and remove the nuts from the bolts in a matter of seconds.

Any suggestions to secure it better? My wife asked to have it welded to the fence. Is there any liquid metal/epoxy type compound that would make the bolts impervious to all but the heaviest of wrenches?

Note: Its a 6ft fence on a corner lot - anyone who wants in bad enough can hop it in a matter of seconds. My wife is paranoid about security and this is one of those hills in a marriage not to die on.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Any chance you can secure it to a wall like this?

If you can post a couple pics of the gate and post it latches to, might help also.
DriftwoodAg
AG
take a grinder and round off the nuts? Maybe tack weld them
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
No idea if it would work, but perhaps JB Weld the nuts on?
slacker00
AG
Tamper proof nut?
Dr. Doctor
AG
Tighten the nuts, cut the excess bolts off and then gall the threads. Similar to tack welding the end. You can put a socket to the nut, but you can't really get the nut off that well.

Can also use red loctite (the permanent one; might be blue, been a while).

Take some salt and pour it on the bolts and let it sit. Corrode the threaded parts which would be similar to galling the threads.

But remember, if you make it hard to take off, when you need to take it off, you're going to be in a world of fun...

~egon
Tumble Weed
Locktite red. It won't make a difference, but it will shut her up.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Here's the pic I was able to take today. it sounds like locktite or something like that is the way to go.

87IE
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

Our wrought iron gate has a latch similar to the picture below. Rather than screwing into the wrought iron, it has u-bolts that wrap around, secured by nuts on the inside of the gate.

We can put a lock on the latch, but anyone w/a socket wrench could reach through and remove the nuts from the bolts in a matter of seconds.

Any suggestions to secure it better? My wife asked to have it welded to the fence. Is there any liquid metal/epoxy type compound that would make the bolts impervious to all but the heaviest of wrenches?

Note: Its a 6ft fence on a corner lot - anyone who wants in bad enough can hop it in a matter of seconds. My wife is paranoid about security and this is one of those hills in a marriage not to die on.

Rather than her relying on loctite she can see how strong this is
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.