New paint smells like sour pickles

3,765 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OldArmyBrent
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife just painted our 3 year old daughters room with the Magnolia branded paint from ace hardware. Its manufactured by Kilz.

As soon as the first coat was drying I walked in the room and it smelled like sour pickles. It dried for 12 hours but it still had a strong odor, she put a second coat on from a different bucket. Not sure if that one smelled the same, but the room still has a strong pickle odor.

I called Kilz number on the paint bucket, and she said she had never heard of it and they suggested waiting a couple more days to see if it persists then call back.

After some brief online searches it seems like this is a fairly common issue with lots of brands with some terrifying implications. Some people going as far as removing the drywall to get rid of the smell.

Any one ever run into this before? I've painted a lot and never smelled anything like this.
Roger That
AG
My 4 year old loves pickles. Maybe your 3 year old is like him and it won't be so bad?
03_Aggie
Open up a window for a few days and see if it goes away?
chick79
AG
That's what you get when you get suckered into the hype of Chip and Joanna Gaines!
Flashdiaz
AG
maybe you're pregnant.
harge57
AG
Flashdiaz said:

maybe you're pregnant.

Funny thing is my pregnant wife swears she can't smell it.
harge57
AG
Any thoughts? Still smells after intense box fan use with windows open.

Online research seems to point to lysol the walls plus shellac sealer then repaint. Hopefully Kilz will offer to pay for it?
JP76
100% sure you used an interior paint ?

If you use exterior paint inside it will off gas over time and it never fully dries and will cause smell issues
harge57
AG
Yep.
chick79
AG
Harge. Send you a PM on another matter.
Bobcat-Ag
I wouldn't let her paint while pregnant.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I thought Kilz was a pigmented shellac?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.