Home Improvement
Sponsored by

AC drain Line ?

2,169 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggielostinETX
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think my AC has a drain line into my bathroom sink....its that possible?

The AC unit is over the bathroom and years ago it was not draining properly, it overflowed and caused a rip in the ceiling sheetrock over the bathroom and had to be repaired.

What I do not remember is how the repair was done or routed?

I am hearing water draining through a pipe coming from inside the common wall near where the issue was before. I can not see any leak in the attic at the overflow pipe.
aggielostinETX
AG
Look under your sink. It could also be dripping down the vent pipe. Have to look in the attic.
CAR96
AG
Nothing shows under the sink and I can see some of the pipe because the sheet rock is cut away for plumbing for the sink. Nothing shows in the attic.
keo1
AG
yes our AC guy routed our drain into sink drain so it is probably that or they rain it into vent stack in attic
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
htxag09
AG
CAR96 said:

I think my AC has a drain line into my bathroom sink....its that possible?

Not sure I understand the rest of your post/question, but for this, the answer is yes and it's common. Mine is similar to the below picture (stolen from another Texags thread). My ac is above my barter bath, however, it drains to my guest bath sink.
CAR96
AG
Maybe not exactly.

My AC guy came by today and said from the attic drain line, which runs down towards the bathroom sink (but not connected like that above picture) probably has a little bit of dirt or debris at the pea trap that is causing the sound of water trickling. It is all inside the pipe as not water damage is evident anywhere else.

The pipe runs inside my wall behind a bathroom sink and upwards to the drain line off the AC. I think it eventually connects to the sewer line...not sure why it needs this setup? It overflowed before a few years ago while I was on vacation and ripped a spot in the ceiling...not much damage but prompted some bathroom remodel because the ceiling needed a new piece of sheetrock.

He blew some compressed air into it stating that he really did not think it would break up the debris but said a plumber would need to come with a roto rooter (scrubber attached to a cable) and try and break up any deposits inside the pipe.

For now, his burst of air seems to have made some progress because I do not hear it anymore.
aggielostinETX
AG
CAR96 said:

Maybe not exactly.

My AC guy came by today and said from the attic drain line, which runs down towards the bathroom sink (but not connected like that above picture) probably has a little bit of dirt or debris at the pea trap that is causing the sound of water trickling. It is all inside the pipe as not water damage is evident anywhere else.

The pipe runs inside my wall behind a bathroom sink and upwards to the drain line off the AC. I think it eventually connects to the sewer line...not sure why it needs this setup? It overflowed before a few years ago while I was on vacation and ripped a spot in the ceiling...not much damage but prompted some bathroom remodel because the ceiling needed a new piece of sheetrock.

He blew some compressed air into it stating that he really did not think it would break up the debris but said a plumber would need to come with a roto rooter (scrubber attached to a cable) and try and break up any deposits inside the pipe.

For now, his burst of air seems to have made some progress because I do not hear it anymore.

Dump some bleach or vinegar down it at the AC unit too
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.