Cleaning Lueders stone top

18,843 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieSam02
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a Lueders limestone slab as a top in my outdoor kitchen. There is a slight discoloration that is sort of a mildewy hue that has appeared over the past few years and a few grease stains from grilling. Any recommendations on how best clean and care for the counter top. It seems to absorb everything.
Long Live Sully
AG
I have the same issue and have used muratic acid for the best results. Then I pressure wash and scrub with a bleach and soap solution. Then seal.

I think eventually I will tile over it. Stupid selection on my part.

This site suggests using baking soda after the acid.

Link
Hincemm
AG
made the same mistake, cow hop!
Long Live Sully
AG
Hincemm said:

made the same mistake, cow hop!
Yeah, I was too smart by half. Not only are they heavy and a pain to install they also mold. Tiling over them is the only solution I can think of.
Hincemm
AG
let me know how it turns out once you do it!
2wealfth Man
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I have the same issue and have used muratic acid for the best results. Then I pressure wash and scrub with a bleach and soap solution. Then seal.

I think eventually I will tile over it. Stupid selection on my part.

This site suggests using baking soda after the acid.

Link
Well, since we have a pool I've got plenty of muriatic acid and sodium bicarbonate
AggieSam02
AG
Be extremely careful with acid around your outdoor kitchen. It will make stainless look like a rusty mess so make sure to avoid contact with any of your grill, doors, drawers, sink, etc, especially splashing!

We stick to granite on all we build because lueder is just too pourous. Granite still seems to be the best option - not near as pourous, low maintenance, and still cost effective!
CapCity12thMan
AG
what would you seal leuder stone with?
AggieSam02
AG
We like the stonetech products. You can go with the natural look or use the enhancer style to give it a wet look.

https://www.amazon.com/stonetech-sealer/s?k=stonetech+sealer
MAS444
AG
Considering Lueders for steps and outdoor patio at our new house. The patio is covered but the steps will not be. Assuming properly sealed, any thoughts on using Lueders for these applications?

Alternatively, thermal bluestone? Thoughts on either/or?
AggieSam02
AG
Should be fine for steps either way. Not near as susceptible to staining as counters around a grill, serving bar, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.