Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Shower re-grout and re-caulk. DIY or Hire out?

4,225 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lotsofhp
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it worth taking this project on in my master shower?

Shower is tiny. 33" x 33" and 6'8" tall.

Bottom has gotten pretty nasty. Here are some pics.

Grout appears to be sanded.

Anyone ever take this on and have advice? Thanks TexAgs.
buddybee
This is a DIY project unless you have money to burn. I would first get some Consan Triple Action 20 and mix up some in a spray bottle. This can be purchased at home depot. Put about one or two ounces in the spray bottle and spray the grout and other bad areas. Let it sit for several hours and the spray again, scrub off. If the area on the calk will not come completely clean, pull old calk off and put new calk down. This should take care of your problem.
ForeverAg
AG
I agree with buddybee however I used Zep mold and mildew remover and had incredible success with it. I still cut the caulk along the tub out and recaulked that however its a very simply DIY job. If you need a tool also get a 14-1 Painters tool to get the caulk out.
GtownRAB
AG
I just took on this project, it took about 2 half days to complete and can easily be a DIY project. I went a step further and did the following:

1) Cleaned entire shower well using a mildew cleaner like mentioned above. I used a dremel with a small cleaning head to clean the small, bad areas even better after cleaning the entire shower with a regular scrub brush attachment you put in a regular drill.

2) Used a dremel to remove about 10 linear foot of grout in areas that had cracked out and replaced the grout.

3) Cut away the old sanded and clear silicone caulking and re-caulked all seams/corners with the correct caulk(either colored or clear)

4) Let the grout cure 3 days then applied a coat of tile and grout sealer to the entire inside of the shower and waited another 3 days before use.

Shower looks great now. Steps 1 and 2 took about a half day. Steps 3 and 4 each took about an hour, you just had to wait between steps so it took a week to complete.

I bought cleaner ($10), caulk ($15), and a pint of sealer ($15). I already had the dremel, razor blades, grout, and cleaning heads. Overall, spent under $50, much cheaper than hiring someone with all the steps and waiting in between to do it properly.

Edit - use that after shower mold preventative cleaner. Spray it on the walls, and especially your area that mold real quick after you shower, takes about 5 seconds and make a world of difference
Garrelli 5000
AG
When I've re-calked our shower, I let it sit for a few days before reapplying after stripping the calk just in case any moisture built up behind it.
Staff - take out the trash.
GtownRAB
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

When I've re-calked our shower, I let it sit for a few days before reapplying after stripping the calk just in case any moisture built up behind it.

Good advice - I forgot to mention on my post re-cleaned after cutting out the old caulk and let it dry until the next day.
Whoop Delecto
AG
htxag09
AG
This looks exactly like the shower I just replaced. Similar problem, but i replaced vs just repairing like you are discussing. I'm in a townhome in central houston, think builders throwing up a lot of similar homes quick, and because the builders used that formed shower pan they didn't do any waterproofing. They had backer board on the walls but that was it. Over the past 15 years enough water got through the grout and where the tile meets the pan that damn near my entire decking under the shower was completely rotted through......
ABATTBQ11
AG
The builder on my place grouted to the tub. Of course the joint separated and water got in and to the decking.
The Fife
Yep, anything on the walls that isn't covered by Kerdi/Redguard or an equivalent is doomed to leak.
HeightsAg
And if you do have kerdi/redguard, is there any reason for caulk other than to aesthetically cover up the seams?
lotsofhp
AG
htxag09 said:

This looks exactly like the shower I just replaced. Similar problem, but i replaced vs just repairing like you are discussing. I'm in a townhome in central houston, think builders throwing up a lot of similar homes quick, and because the builders used that formed shower pan they didn't do any waterproofing. They had backer board on the walls but that was it. Over the past 15 years enough water got through the grout and where the tile meets the pan that damn near my entire decking under the shower was completely rotted through......

What lead you to rebuild it? Was the floor soft or something? I guess you don't know until you take everything apart...

I'm coming to find out I don't know much about the construction of bathtubs/showers. You say the decking under it was rotted, does that mean it was a second story shower? Seems to me mine would just be sitting on the concrete slab
htxag09
AG
The main reason was we just didn't like the finishes, tile, that molded pan, etc. We had a leak and identified and fixed it. But decided to just do the remodel anyway. Wanted to be able to personally enjoy it for awhile before listing our house in a couple years.

The worst leak was from the non waterproofing of anything i described in my original post. The shower had a half wall and none of it was waterproofed. So water just leaked into it and to the decking.... We had no idea that leak or water damage was there until ripping it all out.
ABATTBQ11
AG
If it's on the first floor and you have a slab on grade, you're correct. You only have decking under the shower or tub if it's on an upper floor or pier and beam.
lotsofhp
AG
Thanks guys. Love this board. Learn so much
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.