Interior Pre-Hung Doors

1,537 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to help a friend install some interior pre-hung doors in his house. Neither of us have experience doing it ourselves, but we've watched plenty of videos. Famous last words, I know, but we all need to start somewhere, right?

Any tips/pointers from those with experience? I know that being plumb, level, and square are some of the most important things, but is there anything to watch out for?

TIA
Aggietaco
AG
Tom Silva covers it all pretty well:

Make sure your shims are adequate. I've jacked up a few doors by being slightly off with the shims and tightening down on the jamb screws.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Buy these. Makes it super simple

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Express-Products-Quick-Door-Hanger-Single-Bag-201/202366685

This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
TexAg2001
AG
funny...I've watched that same video several times over the last couple days. Thanks!
Aggietaco
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Express-Products-Quick-Door-Hanger-Single-Bag-201/202366685

Those look like a great option, but what do you do if you're wall is out of plumb perpendicular to the door?
zaab
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

2nd on recommending these. Took me about 30 minutes to have the door back in. Not sure how plum the frame was but the molding covered any discrepancy and the door hangs even.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Same experience I had.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
dubi
AG
Where are you?

Someone might we willing to give you in person tips.
TexAg2001
AG
Located on SW Houston
txaggie_2011
AG
Another vote for the quick door hangers from Home Depot. Here's their how to:
Dr.Rumack
FYI don't Google Well Hung Doors!
miley
AG
I didn't have any luck with the quick door hangers. The idea is great but the jambs really need to be fastened to the framing and those brackets are very flimsy.

I got by with a six foot level and a speed square. Put painters tape on the edge of the square if the walls are finished to prevent transferring aluminum to the paint.

I'm in Meyerland and can lend a hand if you need it.
The Fife
I've switched to hanging doors with long star head deck screws. It makes life a lot easier and you can adjust things a little more carefully.
maddiedou
AG
Once you have the doors and laid face down with hinges up. Call or text me and I will explain how to install and cut the trim

979-eight two o-l87o. Gary. If you have questions
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

I've switched to hanging doors with long star head deck screws. It makes life a lot easier and you can adjust things a little more carefully.
Same here...plus I replace one of the hinge screws in the door frame with a long star deck screw. That way if the house shifts over time, I just tweek the screw(s) to adjust the door as necessary.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Fife said:

HD has cheaper "construction" screws that have star heads. They're the same as deck screws without the weatherproof coating. They're what I use.
TexAg2001
AG
Thanks for the advice given. We bought and tried those HD Quick Door Hangers, but they didn't work out very well and we ended up not using them. The frames didn't feel very secure with these Hangers and felt much more sturdy when shimmed and secured with screws through the center of the frame. It took us about 7 hours to install 8 doors and the last ones went in a whole lot faster and better than the first few.
The Fife
ABATTBQ11 said:

The Fife said:

HD has cheaper "construction" screws that have star heads. They're the same as deck screws without the weatherproof coating. They're what I use.

True, but I get these for free thanks to the receiving department. Lots of suppliers use them to attach lids to crates. They used to just throw them away because nobody wanted them so now I have a pretty big bag full.
ABATTBQ11
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.