LVP over tile?

1,328 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YellAg2004
clintaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are about to have our floors redone. One guy told me that all we need to do is remove the carpet and just use a leveling concrete to slope the transition from tile to where the carpet was (bare concrete foundation). Is this really ok? I am worried it will be obvious there is a height difference.
YellAg2004
AG
That sounds like a half-assed way to do the install to avoid removing the tile.
Frisco
AG
Depends on how thick the tile is. I just did it yesterday over some lineoleum in the kitchen. Can't tell at all but then again it's thin. I just feathed it out on a nice slope.
CapCity12thMan
AG
a contractors first recommendation is usually some shortcut. If you are questioning it, your hunch is probably right.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Remove the tile, half assed bs
buddybee
I can tell you from experience REMOVE THE TILE. Sounds like your contractor is short cutting the job to make a few extra dollars. If you are in Houston call two companies who do jobs right call Texas Floors or Flaherty's Flooring .
clintaggie04
AG
Thanks everyone. I wasn't planning on using the guy that told me I didn't need to remove the tile anyway, but I just thought I should ask in case it was normal to leave it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Remove the tile. Years ago we had about 800 sq ft of tile replaced with hardwood, and removed it all even though one of those folks we spoke with talked about the option of a level/lay-on-top method.

Also, even with tile removal, you will still likely need some leveling work done on the slab afterward, assuming your installer is focused on providing a quality install. I think the installers we used charged about $50/bag for what was necessary, but it only took a few bags to cover a large amount of area and was nominal to the cost of the overall project.
Dandy 76
AG
Recently completed some upgrades to my home to get it ready to put on the market. One of those included putting LVP (click installation) in the bathrooms. Originally I was planning to glue it down over the existing tile but found that was going to be too difficult and time consuming, so I just free floated it (no pad). Guarantee you cannot tell the difference - lays flat, no tapping sounds when you walk on it, etc. May be half-assed but it worked for me!
YellAg2004
AG
Dandy 76 said:

Recently completed some upgrades to my home to get it ready to put on the market. One of those included putting LVP (click installation) in the bathrooms. Originally I was planning to glue it down over the existing tile but found that was going to be too difficult and time consuming, so I just free floated it (no pad). Guarantee you cannot tell the difference - lays flat, no tapping sounds when you walk on it, etc. May be half-assed but it worked for me!
LVP =! laminate
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.