Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Newly planted oak trees - leaves turning brown around edges

8,136 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txaggie_08
txaggie_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So about 5 weeks ago I planted 4 new oak trees in my yard at the same time as also laying all new sod. I've noticed the leaves on the oaks are all starting to brown, starting at the edges, and I'm thinking it's probably from overwatering due to the new grass. Any of you guys able to tell? Pics below?

Lacey Oak

Bur Oak

Red Oak

I'm wondering about possibly bad draining soil as I've cut watering back a ton the past week and moisture meter still shows ground to be wet.
craig09
AG
Too much water. Edge browning like that is the best indicator.
Oogway
The tree experts will probably be along with advice, but perhaps transplant shock? While you don't want to overwater, you definitely don't want to underwater either. What type of soil do you have them in?

Edit to add-too slow a typist, looks like the expert knew just what was wrong!
Builder93
AG
Need a pic of the root ball. Are they planted level with the surrounding sod? If so, dig them up and plant them with the flare at the base of the trunk 6" above the surrounding soil.
Texker
AG
Builder93 said:

Need a pic of the root ball. Are they planted level with the surrounding sod? If so, dig them up and plant them with the flare at the base of the trunk 6" above the surrounding soil.
This was my first thought.
txaggie_08
AG
Thanks Builder. I'm going to try this. They probably could be picked up a little bit. Do you think those trees have even really started to set roots outside of the root ball within this first month, or should this re-planting not be too stressful on them?
ought1ag
AG
I have had a few trees that lost all of their leaves and I thought they were dead......the following spring they bounced back completely........I think the best time to plant is around Oct.
Builder93
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Thanks Builder. I'm going to try this. They probably could be picked up a little bit. Do you think those trees have even really started to set roots outside of the root ball within this first month, or should this re-planting not be too stressful on them?
How long have they been in the ground? Never mind, just reread. You will have some small roots but you should be fine. Just dig out the original root ball as much as you can. Put some good bed mix around the tree when you put it back in. About a foot all the way around.
txaggie_08
AG
Almost 4 weeks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.