St Augustine grass

2,248 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Medaggie
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My backyard has St Augustine and recently did work in the back requiring use of heavy equipment. Work is finally done and half of my yard is dirt while the other half appears to have St Augustine popping up.

What can I do right now about the dirt side? Would St Aug seed help? Sod at this time worth it?

I am trying to avoid the dirt run off and a muddy mess when it rains.

Is there anything to do right now or just wait til the spring to resod?

ChoppinDs40
AG
Can't seed st, Augustine.

Likely too late now to sod- it won't quite take hold before the cold hits. If you don't mind spending some dough, go ahead and lay some now but you'll need more come spring.

Overseed with Rye for the winter to help with your runoff situation and then lay in the spring.
The Original AG 76
AG
depending on where you are. In Houston you can sod St A all year. Some folks put out Rye the first year, you will regret that about Feb when you are still mowing every week in the freezing rain but....
Medaggie
So If I plant winter rye now, it should grow quickly and suppress my dirt run off issue and provide a nice grass cover.

In the spring/summer, if I lay St Augustine would the winter rye come back next fall/winter?

I want to avoid winter rye popping up once I get St Augustine sodded.
southernboy1
AG
Winter rye is an annual from what I've seen.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Resod now. Do not put out any rye or preemergents. Sod can be put down year round.
ftworthag02
AG
where are you located?
Josepi
AG
I wouldn't put out Rye. Mowing in the winter sucks.I did it one year in our backyard, and I regretted it almost immediately. That crap grows fast too...I had to mow almost once a week.

I live in N Texas, and I would not sod St Augustine now. I would wait until spring. Houston, San Antonio, etc... you should be fine to resod now.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Josepi said:

I wouldn't put out Rye. Mowing in the winter sucks.I did it one year in our backyard, and I regretted it almost immediately. That crap grows fast too...I had to mow almost once a week.

I live in N Texas, and I would not sod St Augustine now. I would wait until spring. Houston, San Antonio, etc... you should be fine to resod now.
only reason i suggested Rye was to help with his mud problem.

I guess you could lay a bunch of mulch or pine shavings to help soak up water when it rains...
ftworthag02
AG
Where's medaggie?
Medaggie
Lake LBJ
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.