Pipe Leaking?

4,189 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Señor Chang
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday I noticed water leaking out the weep holes on one side of my house. I opened up the inside of that part of the wall in my bathroom and it sounded like water was running, even though there was no water on. It was damp inside the wall, but it's behind a row of cabinets, so I haven't been able to find exactly where it is leaking. What is my best course of action? Call a plumber?

Edit: There's about a 20 foot stretch on the side of my house where water is coming out the weep holes, so I don't know if there are multiple leaks in the piping... House was built in 1993.

BCSWguru
foundation looks exactly like mine. I had a water heater drain not working properly.

if you can, see where your water heater and A/C unit drain just to eliminate them as the reason for the leaks.
Señor Chang
AG
My water heater is on the complete opposite side of the house, so it's definitely not that. The AC drains right by there, but I have a bucket set up to catch the water so I can spead it around the yard. It seems to be draining at the normal rate, and I even cleaned out the AC drain line this morning just to make sure it wasn't clogged up somewhere.
BrazosDog02
AG
Is it leaking from that copper pipe? If so, Its probably a **** solder job. I'd cut that ****er out and sweat a new one. Plumber will charge a **** load of money to come look at it and then make it seem like a big deal so they can pound you in the ass with cost. I had a similar leak...plumber came out stares at it for 10 seconds and says "it'll cost 450 bucks". I said...really? I did your job...found it...tore out drywall .. and it'll take you 5 mins to sweat a joint....450? Get the **** out of here. If they try to stick you for the service call tell them you'll pay it as long as they are cool with an Angie's list review about their pricing. Up to them.

That's my "**** you plumber" story. Watch YouTube, spend 40 in parts and do it yourself.
Señor Chang
AG
Thanks for the info. Going to cut up some drywall tomorrow morning and try to find the leak first. Is there a lifespan on those copper pipes? Never had any problems with it until this week, and they are pretty old.
mneisch
AG
Instead of sweating on a new fitting I'd recommend a shark bite fitting. They're literally push on to install and basically foolproof.
Whitetail
AG
Test that joint with a liquid soap/water mixture...if it bubbles, you have identified the leak.

~ 2 cups water 1 teaspoon dish soap.

+1 on using those shark bite fittings instead of sweating the new connections.
Señor Chang
AG
You can use shark bite on copper pipe, or would I have to replace the copper with plastic?
mneisch
AG
Yes, they work just fine on copper. I just used one a few weeks back in a similar situation. Bad solder connection on a shower drop ear elbow but not enough space to solder in a new fitting.
Whitetail
AG
Seor Chang said:

You can use shark bite on copper pipe, or would I have to replace the copper with plastic?
It works on copper, PEX and CPVC.

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.sharkbite.com/how-to/sharkbite-push-fit-fittings-how-to-install-pex-tubing-copper-tubing-and-cpvc-tubing/
mneisch
AG
In fact they're rated for any combination of copper, CPVC or PEX.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-90-Degree-Push-to-Connect-Elbow-U248LFA/202270510?MERCH=REC-_-irg_aic-1-_-202270520-_-202270510-_-N
Señor Chang
AG
Found the leak. There is a small hole in the middle of the pipe that is spraying out water. Went to shut off the water to the house and the metal piece to turn has been completely stripped. SAWS (San Antonio water utility) says it will be 48-72 hours before they can have someone out to look at it.
Whitetail
AG
Have a water softener? Probably another cut off in the garage.

Another thought, maybe try some flex tape ( as a band-aide till you get it fixed properly? looks like only walmart carries it locally.

PM me if you want help, I'm in SA too, and I could come over and see if we can make something work.
Señor Chang
AG
Thanks, Whitetail. I'm going to pick up some of the Flex Tape. I'll shoot you a PM.
YellAg2004
AG
So who drove the nail through the pipe?
Gary79Ag
AG
YellAg2004 said:

So who drove the nail through the pipe?
Been there and done that just recently!

Any remodel work I do I install No Naiil plates before I cover the walls but in my case, I was just putting panelling over sheetrock in the garage and a couple of days later I find a pool of water in the garage. Sure enough, I punched a panelling nail dead center into the copper line. Any slight angle or a 1/16" up or down and the nail would most likely have glanced off the line. Instead, it "Nailed" it!
Gary79Ag
AG
If you use either a SharkBite or a GatorBite fitting, be sure to make a smooth clean cut and lightly sand the copper ends before placing the fitting on them!

A friend of mine was remodeling their bathroom recently. He was waiting on his tub faucet to arrive so he just capped off the supply pipes with cap fittings. While they were over at our house for several hours at Halloween, one of the caps dislodged and flooded their house several inches deep in a matter of about 6-8 hours!
Señor Chang
AG
I don't know how it happened. There has been absolutely nothing done in the area of the leak, and the hole is on the back side of the pipe, facing the brick exterior.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Seor Chang said:

My water heater is on the complete opposite side of the house, so it's definitely not that. The AC drains right by there, but I have a bucket set up to catch the water so I can spead it around the yard. It seems to be draining at the normal rate, and I even cleaned out the AC drain line this morning just to make sure it wasn't clogged up somewhere.
Doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet, however your AC should not be draining into a bucket outside your house. You should get that checked out.
Señor Chang
AG
The AC drainage is up to code, but it's pulling out over 5 gallons a day and was making that section of my yard swampy. Started collecting it in a bucket to spread it around. I know a few other posters here do something similar.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Seor Chang said:

The AC drainage is up to code, but it's pulling out over 5 gallons a day and was making that section of my yard swampy. Started collecting it in a bucket to spread it around. I know a few other posters here do something similar.
That's your primary condensate drain line? Not the secondary?
Señor Chang
AG
That is correct.
Señor Chang
AG
Would I be able to cut out the damaged section of copper pipe and replace with Pex?

Copper-sharkbite connector-Pex-sharkbite connector-Copper
txag2008
AG
Seor Chang said:

That would be correct. BUT, if it were me I'd be extremely hesitant to install a sharkbite for an in-wall situation. I tend to think of them as temporary fixes.
mneisch
AG
JB Waterweld should fix that

https://m.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-2-oz-Epoxy-Adhesive/3389026
Señor Chang
AG
Got the leak fixed. Big thanks to Whitetail for his help (basically doing all the work). Used a Sharkbite coupling: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Slip-Coupling-U3008LFA/202270515?MERCH=REC-_-mobileweb_search_rr-_-NA-_-202270515-_-N
Gary79Ag
AG
txag2008 said:

Seor Chang said:

That would be correct. BUT, if it were me I'd be extremely hesitant to install a sharkbite for an in-wall situation. I tend to think of them as temporary fixes.
Exactly the way I feel about them as I myself consider them as temporary fixes! Especially after our friends supply line capping situation I addressed above! I personnaly don't consider them as in-wall repair situations even though my reprepubatle licensed plumber does...therefore, if they install them and it fails, I'm going after them from a claim standpoint if something goes awry. I'm not taking the chance on my accord, that's for sure!.
Whitetail
AG
We got Senor Chang up and running after he and his wife spent most of the day with the water turned off.

If it were me (saw meisch's post too late), I'd might have tried the JB Waterweld stuff, what a neat product.

I had the same concerns at first about shark bite or any other new product, but for someone to use a different technology, the customer has to justify it that much more. The company has to have the independent certs and testing to prove that they will work. Some of those are listed on the HD site:

• Designed for potable water distribution as well as hydronic heating applications
  • Corrosion resistant to improve longevity
  • Certified as a manufactured joint and for underground and behind-the-wall applications without access panels
  • Listed by IAPMO and design certified and listed to ASSE 1061/NSF 61
  • Meets all UPC, IPC, and cUPC requirements
  • Rated to 200F and 200 psi

• We went slow, made sure we followed the directions, but the good thing is the leak was behind a cabinet that he has access to for a while until he reno's the bathroom. Whether he looks at it as $12 temporary fix or a permanent one, the bottom line is he is back up and running with flushing toilets and a shower.

If it leaks in the next say 6 months, he will only be out an extra $12 over what it would have been to just call a plumber anyway.

I tend to err on the side of trying to fix stuff myself, learning a skill, buying a tool. If it doesn't work, you typically aren't out much as you can always bring in the professional after, but you gained the knowledge.
    Aggietaco
    AG
    Good bull.
    Señor Chang
    AG
    So there is another pinhole leak in the copper pipe a couple inches away from where the leak was in 2017. Would y'all recommend just replacing all the copper pipe at this point?

And should I replace it with new copper or with Pex?
    Gilligan
    AG
    Seor Chang said:

So there is another pinhole leak in the copper pipe a couple inches away from where the leak was in 2017. Would y'all recommend just replacing all the copper pipe at this point?

And should I replace it with new copper or with Pex?

Interesting that a copper pipe would spontaneously have pinhole leaks in it.

What is this line servicing?
    Aggie71013
    AG
    I've been told as soon as you get some, you're going to get more. I would replace.
    Señor Chang
    AG
    This leak was in a hot water line going to a bathroom sink.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.