insulated garage door

2,769 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sleepybeagle
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a west facing garage with the master bedroom above the garage. During the summer if can get uncomfortable in the bedroom on the few 90*+ days we get and also chilly in the winter (Denver area). How much would an insulated garage door help that? I'm also going to be looking in the garage ceiling to see if it is insulated too, but was curious about how much the garage doors help.
stardustag
AG
I would imagine insulating the room would be much better than insulating the garage door.

We have a west-facing garage with insulated garage door and insulated garage (wife and I actually put in all the BATS insulation ourselves). In the summer, the garage temperature can get up to 90-degrees still... there's just no way around it. Our bedroom above also is the hottest room in the entire house.. mostly because of the west sun going through the windows I believe.
Dandy 76
AG
Do you have a fiberglass garage door? My garage doors (2 singles) also face west and since installing an insulation kit (from HD) it lowers the summer temp in the garage at least 25F from what it used to be. Nice thing is garage also stays much warmer in the winter. I would have to think that would help the temperature in your master bedroom.

A suggestion if you do decide to do this - gets some good quality white duct tape and secure the edge of each insulation panel to your garage door frame. Really helps to hold the panels in place better and the white tape matches well with the expose side of the insulation so that is looks professional.
Bonfire1996
AG
Is the rest of the garage insulated? Many builders cut corners and don't put the Batt insulation in the garage walls. If the rest of your garage is insulated, it will make a large difference.
BQ2001
AG
The walls are insulated for sure but I'm going to verify the garage ceiling this weekend.

Also I think I'm going to get one of the Owens Corning kits and see how it works, seems like an cheap easy project that could help quickly.
Whoop Delecto
AG
BQ2001
AG
Thanks I'll look into that but it might be a little overkill for me. We really just have about 2, maybe 3, weeks worth of really hot days a year
sleepybeagle
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.