Stain too red

5,909 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kbw01
kbw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I finished staining a piece of furniture and it came out too red for my wife, I was happy with the way it came out. How do I get it browner. Just stain with one that is less red?
redd38
AG
Is a new wife out of the question?
htxag09
AG
redd38 said:

Is a new wife out of the question?

Username checks out...
HeightsAg
If you just need it more brown but not lighter, then I would simply hand-sand it with a medium grit sandpaper to open up the pores and remove some of the red and then go back over it with a browner stain. If you need to go lighter and more brown, then you will probably have to use a orbital and take it down to the bare wood and start over.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Got any scrap pieces you can practice on first? Different sanding levels and staining options?
BrazosDog02
AG
If you've already stained it, you aren't going to get the stain back out. If it's too red now, its going to be too red with a little brown later. It will only get darker.

You'll have to sand that f-er down.

Walnut stains have very little to no red in them. Pretty much anything else is going to have a tint to it. Walnut will darken the **** out of it.

Tell the wife if she doesn't like it she can buy a new piece of furniture or you'll refund the labor charge for the stain. I've played this card a few times, usually with these options the color becomes acceptable.
Aggietaco
AG
Your wife sounds like a lucky woman.
agrams
AG
What type of wood and what type of stain?
HeightsAg
agrams said:

Woodwork Jesus has arrived
kbw01
AG
agrams said:

old and cheap wood. It is some kind of soft wood I think.
kbw01
AG
Time to get sanding...again. Thanks all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.