TV above fireplace question

3,540 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by smeeeth
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're thinking of moving our TV to the brick area above the fireplace but right now the wood mantle is too high which would cause the TV to be mounted way too high. I was thinking instead of removing the mantle and then mounting the TV at the height I'd like.

Is there any recommendation of a particular height above a fireplace to mount a TV to avoid heat damage? Is this even a concern at all? Does a mantle help deflect any heat away from a TV at all? Would a TV mounted above a fireplace with no mantle look weird?

We've been in this house 3 years and have never once burned a fire but my wife is still concerned about a potential heat conflict.

Thanks!
TexAg1987
I would be concerned that there is some structure behind the mantle that allows it to be attached to the brick.
ReloadAg
AG
Yea I'll definitely have to eliminate most likely a couple of 2x4s coming out of the brick.
sleepybeagle
AG
Yes - the height of the mantle above the fireplace is generally the "safe" distance that is recommended - but it could have been placed higher. You might want to check the local fire codes. The depth of the mantel also dictates the height.*

Also - when you remove the mantel, there will be mounting brackets or rods that will need to be repaired on the brick (if your fireplace is brick).

As to it looking weird - as long as you don't place the TV too high it should look ok. I'm not a huge fan of that solution as I like a fireplace to look like a fireplace, but with modern TV's, many houses don't have a good place for it. It amazes me, even today, how many houses don't take into consideration where a big TV will be placed.

Good luck!

.But then there is this...

*The NFPA states that mantel depth is directly related to the required height clearance between the top of the fire box and the bottom of the mantel. For combustibles, such as wood or particle board, surrounding a wood-burning fireplace: * A 2-inch depth must have a minimum height clearance of 11 inches. * A 4-inch depth must have a minimum height clearance of 13 inches. * A 6-inch depth must have a minimum height clearance of 15 inches. * An 8-inch depth must have a minimum height clearance of 17 inches. * A 10-inch depth must have a minimum clearance of 19 inches. **Confirm manufacturer's installation instructions** prior to finalizing a mantel style; some wood-burning fireplaces must have a minimum 12-inch clearance.
ReloadAg
AG
That's some good information thanks!
CrawfordAg
AG
We have the mantle mount and have been very satisfied with it.
stridulent
AG
The optimal viewing height recommendation for a display is having eye level between the bottom 1/3 to top 1/3 of the screen. Hope this helps in some way.
ReloadAg
AG
What brand mount did you get and how much downward travel does it have?
tiny_torpedo
AG
We have the Mantel Mount too and really like it. It allows us to bring the tv down over 2 feet.

https://www.mantelmount.com
tgivaughn
AG
Science teaches that heat = time
ergo the more heat the TV experiences, the short life it will have.
The older computers & even today's TV/radio stations have to turn down the thermostat to preserve electronics & insure they work at optimum.
Mantles to serve often project outward more in order to "throw" fire heat more outward away from hot TV above.

Simply calling your city building inspector or fire marshall will not only bring IRC CODE minimums but also any City augmentations to that CODE, which would complicate resell and make sleeping at night better.

That's really the only risk vs. "too high" which may be "just right" for others that have toddlers that block the view.
Vernada
AG
who thought it was a good idea to put the fireplace as the center focus of the living room? So annoying.
smeeeth
AG
I have this over my fire place (which we will never use) and overall it's a great mount.

Instructions are terrible, but can't be the price.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15618
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.