Attic noised yet again, continue

2,394 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pest control company came out over a month ago, said they saw no remnants of any kind of animal in the attic.

I was surprised at that statement because if there is not a squirrel there must be a ghost.

Still hearing noises.

Suppose it is a squirrel or hopefully not a rat, how do I go by getting rid of it?
V8Aggie
AG
Sorry I mouth breathe while observing peepholes..
sleepybeagle
AG
Not sure about where the noise is coming from - but an animal climbing in your gutter can often sound like it's coming from the attic.

You can always pop some corn and invite them down.

agz win
AG
Fox urine and cotton balls around the attic?
Vernada
AG
YouTube the water bucket rat trap.
CAR96
AG
So another pest control person came out and inspected. Saw no signs of animals in the attic.

Said he was fully convinced it was the pipes running from the hot water heater across some rafters making the knocking noise. He said he rotated some foam under the pipes to reduce the noise on the rafter.

It has not seemed to lower the volume of the noise.
aezmvp
CAR96 said:

So another pest control person came out and inspected. Saw no signs of animals in the attic.

Said he was fully convinced it was the pipes running from the hot water heater across some rafters making the knocking noise. He said he rotated some foam under the pipes to reduce the noise on the rafter.

It has not seemed to lower the volume of the noise.
Night vision camera time!

AgLA06
AG
Take a soft sided cooler and a sleeping mat and figure it out one night.

Or you can keep paying people to guess.
tgivaughn
AG
We hear mainly squirrels but also raccoons (rarely) on TOP of our roof, playing, attracted to our bird feeders. It only takes a tall fence or one nearby tree limb to serve as a diving board and the fat ones make quite a THUMP. Yes we are well attic insulated above R38 and the rafters are 2x10!
CAR96
AG
I didn't have to pay the last guy, so that was cool.

He saw no signs of droppingings, tunneling... nothing.

It does seem to happen after the shower has been on and is like a knocking noise.
dubi
AG
You would hate a 1960's house; I have all sorts of noises:

Rafters creaking
Pipes gurgling
Roof vent thing (roundy roundy ) whines
Acorns falling on the roof
Squirrels playing on the roof
InMyOpinion
just curious if you have tried an old school mouse trap with peanut butter or cheese?
OnlyForNow
AG
It's on the roof friend.
sleepybeagle
AG

JM13
Isn't this how The Exorcist started?
aftershock
The house i grew up in would make a knocking noise after someone showered. it was most noticeable under the room under the water heater. I don't know what it was, but we never replaced it or anything.
dubi
AG
sleepybeagle said:

This!
Gary79Ag
AG
JM13 said:

Isn't this how The Exorcist started?
Don't recall JM but this pic definitley brings back memories of "The Birds"!

tgivaughn
AG
They need to look on the roof for droppings -
although raccoons & cats have been spotted there, it's the
playful fat squirrels that leap & pound on the compo.shingled, solid roof decking that can make one feel they are living inside a bass drum.

Limbs closet to house and even fencing can give enough "reach" to their flying leaps. They have been seen traveling limb-limb-roofs from acres away in their adventures.
tgivaughn
AG
Just now reading your post-shower knocking, makes "water hammer" suspect. Homebuilders do not install such arresters at every plumbing group these days. You can buy these via Amazon and self install but why not start a list of plumber to-dos and someday include this, paying for only one call?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.