Keeping barn swallows off your house?

3,334 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SPF250
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I fight these ****heads every year it seems. They are determined to put a crawdad mound right above my entry way and crap all over the place and make a gigantic mess. I've been spraying the beginnings of their nest down with a high pressure hose, but every morning they come right back.

Anything I can spray that will actually deter them from ever coming back?
AgResearch
AG
Protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Keep that in mind.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
We ended up having to put bird spikes on our porch.
tmaggies
AG
Shotgun
Cromagnum
AG
AgResearch said:

Protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Keep that in mind.

They can migrate their ass 100 feet over to a tree or bush then. I don't need to step in bird **** every day because they like the worst possible place on my property.
water turkey
Nothing wrong with deterring them from nesting. You just "can't" disturb an active nest with eggs it it or kill the birds.

Aggie_Eric98
AG
This is what we used, an eyesore, but we had an overhang which hid them.

sleepybeagle
AG

That's funny as I'm trying to encourage them to come to my house! Love the little guys...
Whitetail
AG
I've resorted to just pressure washing the poop.
Cromagnum
AG
I'm gonna try printing out a picture of a hawk and an owl and hang that **** up and see if they care.
reddog90
AG
We have the porch ceilings at our ranch painted light blue. It seems to help, but sometimes they move down the brick siding some and just go to town.
Whitetail
AG
dangle an HEB sack from a string...the wind and the movement will have them guessing for a little while.
Whens lunch
AG
sleepybeagle said:

That's funny as I'm trying to encourage them to come to my house! Love the little guys...
Why is she feeding the same one over and over? The rest are gonna starve! I'll keep watching', but I'm getting' worried.
toolshed
AG
I've seen rubber snakes hung around customer's porches, up along the ledges the birds like to build on. Not certain if they work though.
toolshed
AG
Poor guy at screen left is scared of momma as well!! She probably spanked him at some point, now he's scarred.
Cromagnum
AG
The hawk picture worked. Then they relocated to my back patio, so I put up one there too. Then they moved to my final patio in the front. I caught them in the act and put up a 3rd hawk photo. When they saw me leave they came back and freaked the hell out when they saw the hawk. Lots of racket and buzzing around and they never came back.
Dr. Doctor
AG
My buddy had the same issue in Extreme West Houston (katy). He ended up putting the sticky squares that you can run zip ties through and chicken wire. Made a tri-layer of chicken wire and used it to cover the top of the opening of his house. The sticky squares went around the edge and then zip-tied the wire to them.

He was having the same issue of birds building in his entry way and crapping on his front door. In 2 years, his door looked like it had aged 15. Especially where the poop landed.

~egon
SPF250
AG
I used to have a similar problem with birds nesting under my front porch on the flat top of the columns. A new mud and grass nest would show up the day after I removed the previous one. When I had the columns replaced as part of a remodel, the carpenter created something similar to crown molding above the columns. Required some really complex miter cuts for all of the corners to meet properly. Problem solved as it eliminated the flat surface the birds nested on and looks like part of the column.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.