A/C Condensate Tie In to Sink Drain

8,591 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone with a newer house post a picture of how their A/C condensate line ties in to the sink drain? This is something I'm going to add soon, ours just drains to the outdoors along with the backup line. It makes a muddy mess and they go to the same pipe so I can't tell if there's a problem until it's already become a big one.
Bregxit
AG
Just like this. Hose comes out of the wall and is clamped in to a tee on the drain downpipe.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Good lord, that looks janky.
Bregxit
AG
hodgesco said:

Good lord, that looks janky.
That's not my house. I didn't feel like heading upstairs and taking a picture.
Kenneth_2003
AG
That's the way they look, but that install certainly looks sloppy!
The Fife
So basically I'm looking for a tailpiece with a threaded opening on the side? Our old place had a flexible copper pipe like you see on water heaters screwed in somehow, I think after the trap, but am not quite sure what fitting to look for in the plumbing section.
htxag09
AG
akaggie05
AG
Based on the pic (showing a hose clamp being used) I think you're just looking for an opening with a ridge (not threaded).
Bregxit
AG
The Fife said:

So basically I'm looking for a tailpiece with a threaded opening on the side? Our old place had a flexible copper pipe like you see on water heaters screwed in somehow, I think after the trap, but am not quite sure what fitting to look for in the plumbing section.
You need a tailpiece like this installed BEFORE the p-trap:

http://a.co/2jxUgOd

UmustBKidding
They use the same ones as they use for dishwashers in the kitchen.
Its not legal by code but mine are all plummed to my gray water holding tank.
The Fife
dlance said:

The Fife said:

You need a tailpiece like this installed BEFORE the p-trap:

http://a.co/2jxUgOd

Cool, that's what I was missing. Assuming they're available in 1 1/4" anyway...

The one in our old place was definitely threaded but it was also built in 1992. I'll just be happy to not have a huge muddy area in the yard, two A/Cs + a 90 point dehumidifier can kick out a lot of water.
Gary79Ag
AG
Fife, here's 1-1/4" branched tailpipes but they're all in metal...

1-1/4" Branched Tailpipes
jaggiemaggie
AG
Home Depot has the plastic tailpipes
Gary79Ag
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Home Depot has the plastic tailpipes
Yes, but he was specifically looking for 1-1/4". I maybe wrong but I only find 1-1/2" in plastic tailpipes at HD...
The Fife
Yep, it's gotta be 1 1/4" since this will tie in with the hall bath drain. I'll be at Lowes this afternoon and will have to wander around for a little bit to see what they have. I could always have it tie in with the drain inside the wall, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher or not.
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

I could always have it tie in with the drain inside the wall, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher or not.

Don't want to do that. It WILL eventually get clogged and you will want access to clear it out. I usually just hold the end of a shop vac to the end of the hose and close my hand around it. That will suck out any crap that builds up.
YellAg2004
AG
dlance said:

Quote:

I could always have it tie in with the drain inside the wall, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher or not.

Don't want to do that. It WILL eventually get clogged and you will want access to clear it out. I usually just hold the end of a shop vac to the end of the hose and close my hand around it. That will suck out any crap that builds up.
And the fact that if it's in the wall, it's after the P-trap, so you could get sewer gas going back up the line.
The Fife
YellAg2004 said:

dlance said:

Quote:

And the fact that if it's in the wall, it's after the P-trap, so you could get sewer gas going back up the line.
For some odd reason both primary A/C drain lines have little P traps in them. Not like it matters, they drain to the outdoors anyway. And both the primary and backups are right next to each other so there's nothing obvious that tells you there's something going wrong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.