Building a tool shed

1,306 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Builder93
HvilleAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Other than notifying and getting permission from my HOA, what kind of permits do I need from the city (Houston)?
The structure will be free standing, approx 12'x5', and built adjacent to a fence line.

As I progress through plans and actual construction, I'll be sure to update the thread with new questions and ideas!
toolshed
AG
Check online with the city permitting, but here in Bryan, that falls below the minimum sq ft required for a permit to be pulled.
Aggietaco
AG
Fence line likely has a drainage easement that the City probably doesn't want you to build on. Realistically, as long as you don't use a permanent foundation, make it smaller than the maximum allowable size without permitting, and don't impact your neighbor's drainage there shouldn't be an issue.
Agmechanic
AG
Just build it as fast as you can. It was there when you bought the property.

Oh and make sure no one can see it from the road
DadAG10
Different city but anything under 120 sq ft does not need a permit.

However, it must be 10 feet from the main structure and 3 feet from the property line.
Builder93
AG
Setbacks along the side are usually between 5 and 10 feet. 12x5 seems shallow to be useful unless the whole side opens up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.