Can I do my own electrical work?

1,613 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SweaterVest
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently bought an old (1947) house inside the Houston city limits. I've been updating a few things here and there and would like to do some minor electrical work as well, changing out old outlets, putting in some drop down lights in the kitchen, etc. The house has modern wiring, so I'm not worried about replacing any knob and tube set up. Am I legally allowed to do the work that I'm capable of on my own house? Do I have to pull permits for anything?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pure guesswork on my part....replacing outlets, switches, and lights where they already exist - no problem. Running new wires - you possibly need a permit and probably even a certified electrician to satisfy your insurance requirements.

Again - 50% of the the time I'm completely FOS, and I'm guessing here...
Marvin_Zindler
AG
If I recall from RTT when he used to frequent this board, I think that under COH ordinance, you are technically not even allowed to change a switch or plug on your own. Could be wrong, but I remember being shocked at how strict the rule was.

That said, as long as the work is minor and you're keeping to code, just do it

HeightsAg
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but COH requires any and all electrical work to be done by licensed electricians with valid permits. Doesn't matter if it is running new wires or something as simple as replacing an outlet. However, unless as you are comfortable doing the work, I have no idea how COH would know unless it's part of a larger reno or addition.
The Fife
I've read that they forbid basically everything, I'd just keep whatever you're doing invisible from the street.
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. That seems a bit excessive but I guess there's no way to police it unless you are caught, or there is a fire due to something out of code.

As a follow up question, if I have an electrician come out to run the new lights and he sees something in the attic that is not to code, am I in some way required to have it fixed immediately?

Lastly, can someone recommend an electician to run a couple of drop down lights in my kitchen?
will.mcg
AG
Personally I would do whatever I am comfortable with.

No. I would definitely fix something if it is a legitimate safety concern.

BrazosDog02
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

Thanks for all of the replies. That seems a bit excessive but I guess there's no way to police it unless you are caught, or there is a fire due to something out of code.

As a follow up question, if I have an electrician come out to run the new lights and he sees something in the attic that is not to code, am I in some way required to have it fixed immediately?

Lastly, can someone recommend an electician to run a couple of drop down lights in my kitchen?

Well, he's going to have to be familiar with code requirements for when your home was built. There is likely a fair bit that is not to current code....But it doesn't have to be. It will have to be to current code for your new lights though.

Im all about doing you outlets and not saying jack but I've also replaced panels and run new circuits and sub panels and not thought twice...Also not in COH.

Your electrician won't be looking for things out of code but he should be aware of things that are simply unsafe....
AgEngineer72
AG
As for what you can do yourself, that's a function of city codes and those with COH expertise have advised on city restrictions as well as what you can reasonably do. My only addition to that is be careful to stay within your true technical abilities.

As to other possible code issues or safety problems- if you bring in a licensed Master Electrician they are obligated to not leave code violations or safety problems unaddressed. They probably won't go looking for them but if they see something that stands out they won't leave it. How they handle it will vary. Also, as has already been pointed out, you are basically required to maintain construction to the code and code version in effect at the time it was constructed.
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks all, this is very helpful. It probably wouldn't hurt to have an electrician put eyes on the wiring up in the attic area anyway. It looks like the previous owner did quite a bit of his own work on a number of projects (not sure about electrical), and was learning his way through some of it...

If anyone has a good independent electrician to recommend, please let me know. I prefer an independent so that I always have the same person to talk to and can build a relationship in case I have future issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.