Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Wood Burning Stove vent

2,566 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know pellet stoves can be vented through the wall with a horizontal chimney pipe, but was wondering if Wood burning stoves can as well. I cant seem to find a clear answer. Some sites say yes, some say no. What say you TexAgs?

I'm weighing my options to try to lower my heating bill in the winter (currently sitting between 300-500 a month (gas powered boiler running cast iron radiators). I would prefer to not spend the money that a pellet stove costs (I'm being "cheap", I know), and this is not a house we see ourselves in forever (likely another 2-3 years if that).
Dr. Doctor
AG
My father in law's neighbor in Warwick, NY has a woods burning stove/thing in the entry of his house. Well back of the house, near the kitchen. He uses wood he gets from random houses and trees he cuts down. I honestly think it is vented on the side of his house/entry place. And this is a split wood burner.

But he says it helps out with lowering the gas bill. He has a boiler and cast iron radiators as well.

~ egon
Potcake
AG
If I recall, the wood stove at Gruene Hall is vented through a wall with a lateral pipe. They just remove the stove and pipe once warmer weather comes.
bedofbrass33
AG
Yes, it may be better if the pipe goes out the wall and then up the outside of your house depending on if you have a second floor. Find a local wood stove dealer and they can answer all your questions.

Also, beware that a good wood stove will cost a few thousand and the chimney with installation costs will probably almost double the cost. Wood stove chimney pipe is at least double walked and is not cheap. Might be cheaper to just suck it up if you aren't there long term.
histag10
AG
Shopping at our local dealers, and the prices cap at about 1500. I know pellet stoves are in the thousands but am yet to see a wood burningrain stove that high.

I know it is recommended to have double walled, but not required. How do you run it out and up and keep it away from the side of the house? Seems like that would look really bad, and potentially set my house on fire.

Also, we are in the middle of a renovation, and I believe this will help sell the house in the future. We frequently sit below 0 in the winters, and this really could save close to 1k in bills over the course of a harsh winter.

Also, the whole point of venting out of the wall, is to not have to build a chimney.
histag10
AG
man I even went back and looked to make sure I wasn't full of **** on the prices of these. Where are you finding wood burning stoves in the thousands? The most expensive one I have been able to find is 2200, and its a wood burning furnace, not a wood burning stove. The wood burning stoves I have found have all been pretty much under 1k
bedofbrass33
AG
My mistake. A lot of stoves are not that expensive. I must have been thinking of the full cost to install the model I wanted when I priced it out a while back.
Dr. Doctor
AG

I found some English sites that were talking about it. I think the double wall is more of "made so you can't burn your hands inside". I could see having just a single wall so that you can radiate heat out, but if you were to have a leak in that pipe, you would now be venting the fire to the inside (which I take as bad).

~egon
histag10
AG

This is kind of the setup I was looking at I guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.