Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Water softener install?

8,469 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Bastrop and we just moved into a newly built house. Our water is hard (not sure on the level of hardness). I would like to install a water softener but have no experience doing this. Are the Whirpool units from Lowes any good or should we look elsewhere? Difficulty of installation? I am not familiar with plumbing, so take that FWIW.

Any input is appreciated!!!
Long Live Sully
AG
I just installed one I bought at Moore Plumbing. They have commercial units for the same cost as ones from Lowes or HD. I paid around $750 I think. The feature that matters most is that it has a demand type controller. Install is easy, just PVC pipe and fittings.
stick93
AG
I have one north of Austin that I will give you but I would need some help removing it. If you are interested I can get the particulars this evening. My house was on well water but was converted to city last year before I moved in. Equipment appears to be modern and in good condition. Text me at fiveonetwo-653-53oh3 if you want me to send pics.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Installation depends on if you're pre-plumbed for a water softener. If you are, the hookups should be coming out of the wall and connected in a loop. If the home is newer, the hookups may just be metal flex coming off of a bypass loop and installation is as easy as connecting them to your water softener. Otherwise, you may just see pipe and gate valves in a configuration like the bypass loop shown below. You will probably also have a capped off tie in to your house's drain system.

If you're not pre-plumbed, things get more complicated and you will need to know where your water main comes in and where/if a line for your outside hose bibs (faucets) comes off of it. You will have to tap into the main in your house after that tap for the hose bibs and before your water heater. That will soften the water in your house, but not the stuff you water your lawn with. It will look something like this (no bypass loop shown):

Bypass loop:

The bypass loop allows you to cut water to each line going into and out of your softener while opening and shutting a valve that bypasses your softener. When your softener is hooked up, the bypass valve is closed and the lines are open, which only allows water into and out of your softener. If your softener needs to be serviced or replaced, the valves on the lines to and from your softener can be closed to disconnect it, and the bypass valve can be opened to keep water (unsoftened) flowing into your house. If you are not pre-plumbed, you will need to plumb this loop yourself.

Plumbing the bypass loop isn't exactly hard. The hard part is finding where to plumb it. Your water heater is the best place to start, because the water softener should be installed immediately before where your water tees and splits into hot and cold water service. So, backtracking from your water heater's intake, find that tee and you'll find where you need to plumb. Hopefully, and probably, it is very close to your water heater. This is because the farther back it is, the more material is required by the builder since your hot and cold water will probably run the same route through your house. The hard part is that it is probably in a wall, and you will have to do some demo to find it. You will also need to put the drywall back.

You will also need to tie into your drain system so the water softener can drain when it regenerates. It will probably do this once or twice per week. Plumbing into your drain system may also be much harder, because there's no telling where you can tie in. If your water heater is near your washer and dryer, you can probably tie in to the drain that your washer uses pretty easily. If not, you will need to find a drain line somewhere near your softener and tie in. You DO NOT want to just drain to an outside wall and let the water go to your lawn. The discharge from your softener is the brine solution used to clean and regenerate the resin beads that strip out the hard minerals in your tank. It will contain a lot of salt and minerals and sterilize your lawn.

If you're not pre-plumbed, happy hunting. If you are, just find a water softener that you like at a price you're comfortable with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.