Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Is this TARR or still dormant St. Augustine in Dallas?

3,553 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by zsh0
zsh0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zsh0
AG
zsh0
AG
I know it has been a wet and colder spring, so didn't know if it's just taking a long time to green up, or if I need to start adding peat moss for TARR.
jjdavis85
AG
I'm seeing the same in my yard. When I pull at the grass it uproots easily.
uncover&humpit
AG
This isn't take all,patch, it looks like winter damage. You should apply a good 18-6-12 Fertilizer with 40% slow release (Nitroform is good) at 1 pound actual N per 1000 sq ft. Slowly (Over the next 3-4 weeks) raise the mower deck to 4.5 inches and make sure it gets 1 inch of water per week. It will bounce back pretty quick, it is no different than St Augustine recovery from winter overseeding with rye grass.
To calculate application rates of Fert go here http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/calculations-turfgrass-fertilization
uncover&humpit
AG
You may also want to remove some of the soil and mulch from the base of your Magnolia trees in the background, they don't do well at all with soil over their root flare.
Gary79Ag
AG
And straighten out that pedestal thingy!
zsh0
AG
Don't forget the broken landscape light on the left and the swing set that needs to be staked down.

Thanks for the tips. I have since put down a heavy nitrogen fertilizer, so hopefully we will see some improvement in the coming days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.