Home Improvement
Sponsored by

What are these two weeds?! They are taking over my lawn

7,533 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Col. Steve Austin
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First weed:

Few pics of 2nd weed (taking over my st. Augustine):

Any help? The first picture weed with the seed looking things on it are taking over my Bermuda backyard, and the last 3 pictures are a weed(s) that are taking over my side yard that is St. Augustine.

Thanks all
DallasAg2
AG
Look at kentucky bluegrass to make sure that is what is in the first picture.
Cromagnum
AG
First one looks like Poa Annua.

Pulls up pretty easy. Roundup will kill it if your other grass is dormant (prob too late for that option now). Warm weather will kill it off.
Natasha Romanoff
Second picture looks like fescue to me, but I'm not expert.
ftworthag02
AG
1st: poa annua
2nd: rye

since your St. Aug is coming out of dormancy I wouldn't hit it w/ roundup. We use a product called certainty for poa. The poa will die off w/ repeated mowings and heat .
FDXAg
AG
Thanks all. Ftworthag, what are my options for the rye at this point if roundup isn't advisable? It's impossible to pull because it's basically like grass within my grass.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
To prevent the poa annua coming back, in the fall (late Oct early Nov) apply a pre-emergent with Amaze, Betasan, Balan or Treflan for grassy weeds like poa annua (annual bluegrass) etc.
FDXAg
AG
Wrong emoticon, sorry.

Yes I plan on doing a pre emerge correctly this fall, just wondering what can be done with the rye grass. Good to hear the poa won't be able to take the summer heat
FDXAg
AG
Also, I've dealt with the grassy weed in my st. Augustine for a few years now. I never thought it was rye grass simple because I thought rye grass would die in the heat of summer, but it never goes away. Granted this section is more in the shade of the side of my house, but it still deals with the 100 temps of north Texas. If it's clumps of rye grass why isn't the summer heat killing it??
helgs
AG
Poa Annua isn't really a worry. It'll burn away once temps go up and it's an annual, not a perennial. Just continue on a preemergent schedule and you'll manage it. No worries there.
schmendeler
AG
wait, so you can use roundup on dormant st Augustine to spot treat weeds that come up?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
quote:
Also, I've dealt with the grassy weed in my st. Augustine for a few years now. I never thought it was rye grass simple because I thought rye grass would die in the heat of summer, but it never goes away. Granted this section is more in the shade of the side of my house, but it still deals with the 100 temps of north Texas. If it's clumps of rye grass why isn't the summer heat killing it??
The first picture of your 2nd weed looks kinda like crabgrass but it is probably still too early for that to germinate unless you're pretty far south. It's probably time (or past time in some areas) for a crabgrass pre-emergent like Halts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.