Home Improvement
Sponsored by

$/sq-ft Engineered wood floor installation costs

26,229 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DtheFlooringGuy
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is a good labor rate per square foot to install (float) 4 - 6" engineered hard wood floors? I am getting wildly varying estimates ranging from $1.75 to $5. I have ceramic tile now which will be ripped up at $1.25/sq-ft, leaving concrete as the base. The total square footage is about 2000.

AKA 13-0
mneisch
AG
Just replied to your email, hopefully you can get a good deal.
JP76
floating or glue down installation ?
jtraggie99
AG
I am in Dallas and I think a cost of $2.00 is average, from what I have seen. That would just be for labor (extra for the glue and such, if you are not floating).

By the way, the $1.75 for tile removal is a good price. I have seen guys charging over $3.00 for that.
FtBendTxAg
AG
$2/square foot for locking floating floors
2.5 for glue down or nail down or edge glue

A good Bostik single app glue can cost you 200-300 a pail. It's cheaper to install locking.

Molding will usually run you about a buck a LF

I charge out 50 dollars every 100 square feet for floor prep (concrete subfloor) if needed.

1.5 square foot to take up ceramic
75 cents to take up laminate and pad
20 cents a square foot for carpet and pad and tacking removal

Expect some folks to charge for furniture, appliance, toilet removal.
The Fife
Are any of them testing for slab moisture once the existing flooring is removed?
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
What is a good labor rate per square foot to install (float) 4 - 6" engineered hard wood floors? I am getting wildly varying estimates ranging from $1.75 to $5. I have ceramic tile now which will be ripped up at $1.25/sq-ft, leaving concrete as the base. The total square footage is about 2000.

AKA 13-0
Why demo the tile instead of just floating the wood over it?
Linz02Ag
AG
For reference I'm getting engineered wood (glued down) installed in a couple weeks and paying $3.75/SF. That includes removal and disposal of carpet and pad, float, furniture manipulation, transitions and quarter round moldings.
Bonfire1996
AG
Linz - Who are you using and where are you located?
Linz02Ag
AG
I'm in The Woodlands and using Flaherty's also here.
Bonfire1996
AG
Does the $3.75 include material?
Burn-It
AG
The existing floor is a combination ceramic and hardwood. I didn't want to chance putting high end flooring over existing.
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
Does the $3.75 include material?
Negative. That's labor and install materials only. We're getting a 1/2" hand-scraped hickory made by Bravo. It's about $4.50/SF
EnviroAg96
AG
^ That's seems high for install charges. The outfit we used in Houston charged $1.50/ft for install labor then you add $0.25/ft for whatever else you want them to provide:
- Glue
- Trim
- Move furniture
- Carpet haul-off
- Float (or pay $25/bag used)

Get a dolly and move furniture yourself, put carpet out on heavy trash day and just pay per bag on float and you are looking at $2.00/ft install charges (including glue and trim). Even if you had them do everything, it is still a $1/foot less than what you were quoted.

Also, if you buy a pallet of wood or more (800 ft I think) you get $0.50 off per foot.

Place is called Handy Manny or Handy Andy or something, off of 1960 near Cypress.
rather be fishing
AG
We were pricing different materials and installation in Austin. $2.50-$2.75/sqft was pretty common for install.

We ended up going with a wood finish ceramic tile and are installing it ourselves. Cut our cost by over half of what installation would have been.
Linz02Ag
AG
I calculated the labor from the contract price and it's actually $2.95/SF for glued down install including furniture moving and carpet/pad removal/disposal.
Splitag
AG
Or it could be a good DIY project. If you know anyone who has installed wood floors before, it really isn't rocket science. Just think of the cash you could put in your pocket. There are tons of good online tutorials and material also.
jtraggie99
AG
Splitag,

Have you done this before yourself? If so, was it floating or glue-down?

With that said, would anyone even recommend a DIY-er doing a glue-down install? And which is ultimately better, glue-down or floating (at least over a slab)?
mneisch
AG
Glue down is better, assuming no moisture issues.
mneisch
AG
I have a guy coming out this week to do 550 sq ft at $3/ft, including everything but the actual wood product (so glue, float, trim, thresholds etc).

[This message has been edited by mneisch (edited 2/25/2013 4:41p).]
jtraggie99
AG
Mneisch,

Where are you at? I assume that does not include any take-up of existing floor.
mneisch
AG
Houston. Correct, it's in our new house so bare slab.
jtraggie99
AG
Thanks.
aggielax48
AG
Buying floors from Hardwood Bargains. Measured out at 509 sf at the estimate. The company they recommended for install gave me a quote of $1250 for glue down, move furniture, carpet and tile removal/disposal, install trim.

I'm responsible for buying the wood, T-moldings and glue. Seems like a good quote, opinions?
Waltonloads08
AG
For:

Remove previous floors
Float all floors
Marine grade glue moisture barrier
$5 foot maple floors
Install baseboards and shoe molding
Haul off trash

About $9/foot all in, for 1400 feet in houston.
DtheFlooringGuy
I am a professional flooring installer. There are quite a few different costs that are associated in installing a new hardwood floor in a (not new) home.

If your home doesn't have an existing floor, then the average install was mentioned in the above comment. Those numbers hold true in St. Louis, Missouri. $2 - $3 for Nail Down

Lets look at the job from start to finish.

Make sure to get a moisture test, try and understand the reason behind this. You must allow your wood floor to acclimate to your home, and the moisture levels should be within the tolerances allowed. If you nail all your wood down while its freezing in your house, then you allow your home to remain open, during 100 degree days with 100% humidty like it gets here, you will have issues. Let your wood sit in your home, at your normal temps, for a couple days. A week if you can.

If you have tear up. This is where the cost can vary greatly. If your home is on wood, you can look in the hear/ac register on the floor and check what all is installed on top of your sub floor.

Here is a general list I use for take up:

Carpet $.20 / sq ft

Vinyl $1.00 / sq ft (If you have more than one layer, usually you can take all up at once, cut with hand saw into smaller easier to pry up pieces. Set your saw to not cut through your subfloor. Buy the 4ft pry bar for $20 at the box stores)

Nail Down HardWood $1.50-$2.50 / sq ft. (The thinner the boards, the more expensive. i.e. 5 inch 3/4 is easier to rip up than 2" 1/4 (3/4 inch wood). More boards = more nails )

Laminate $1.00 / sq ft. This is the easiest take up. You will have to have a place to dump it, but if you have old laminate, you should really consider taking it up yourself. Its simple

Ceramic $2-$4 / sq ft
Nobody wants to tear out old ceramic. If the underlayment is screwed down and glued, well it can get expensive, dusty, and down right dangerous. Wear safety googles.

BUT WAIT!! There is more!

If there is a toilet, that can cost up to $100 to be pulled up, and reinstalled correctly.

There is the issues with the baseboards. Usually this is pulled and rehung for free. Its a great opportunity to have it replaced, it gets banged up pretty bad if the last time it was hung, it was hung up with a million nails. The key is to use a utility knife and cut the top of the base, cutting the calk/base from the paint, so when you pull the base, it doesn't rip the paint up the wall. If your floor was taller before, you will have an issue with your base matching the old paint line. You can buy taller base, or paint!!

I use this calculator to plug in all the values of the take up and installation costs, it gives me a rough estimate. This is android only, I haven't found one I like for apple sorry!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dma.flooringcalculator

For installation charges i use this as a guide: (All amounts are Per Square Foot)
NailDown Hardwood $2-$3 (depending on width of board)
Carpet $.50 (pattern matches/berbers extra $.25-$1.00 Depending)
Laminate $2 (Cheaper for larger open areas)
Vinyl $1

I hope the info helps!!

D
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.