Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Looking for Zoysia seed in Houston

18,343 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by AgResearch
sprintermike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been told it's possible to buy zoysia grass seed. Anyone know of a place that carries it?
SpicewoodAg
AG
Some varieties of Zoysia are available by seed. Most are not - sod only.

If you want to buy seed, I see no reason not to just find a seller online and have it shipped to you.
Rusty GCS
AG
Zoysia grows VERY slow
SpicewoodAg
AG
Not all Zoysia varieties grow so slow. Don't know about the seed varieties though. My Zoysia Pallisades lawn (small) doesn't grow as fast as St. A, but it uses less water, looks better, and growing slower means less mowing.
Apache
AG
Seeding zoysia & hoping for a nice lawn in a summer or two would be akin to scattering acorns & anticipating a hammock.

Buy pallets. If you can't afford it, save or plant another grass. You'll be happier.
sprintermike
I have 1.5 ac and had palisades zoysia sod put in the area close to the house. I LOVE it. There is no better grass if you ask me.
I'm looking for some seed to scatter on some areas (where they had dug gas lines, etc just to get some coverage because I really dont like bermuda grass.
Apache
AG
sprintermike -
That makes more sense. But if it were me..
I'd still buy a pallet & cut it in to fill the areas where the ditches were. Bermuda & weeds will germinate much faster than the Zoysia.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Pallisades isn't available by seed. So I agree with Apache. Buy as much sod as you can afford.

So far I think it is an excellent lawn grass.
SlimM
AG
They sell Zoysia seed at Lowes. I bought mine there, and I can tell you that if your yard is shady, don't plant zoysia seed. Half of my yard is shady and the other half is in total sun. The sunny half is completely grown. It looked like a mature yard in less than a year. The shady side is VERY spotty.

I HIGHLY recommend zoysia seed in a shade-free yard though. Grows very slowly and hardly ever needs watering (once grown, of course).
sprintermike
Slim,
Can you give me the name that was on the bag? I looked at lowes and saw lots of bermuda, but no zoysia.
What city was this lowes in?
Rusty GCS
AG
If you're in Houston you can call John Deere Landscapes also

4519 Brittmoore Road
Houston, TX 77041-8005
(713) 849-2700
sprintermike
John deer doesn't have it.
Still looking for more info from slim.
Lee72
AG
These guys advertise Zoysia turf (sod) as well as hydromulching if you're up to that route. Didn't see anything regarding seeds but I'm sure they can guide you in the right direction if they don't have seed available.

http://www.mataturf.calls.net/grass_zoys.html
SlimM
AG
sprinter -- Pennington Seed. It was at the Bryan Lowes. I think they even sell it at the Bryan Walmart too, but I'm not sure.
sprintermike
Well I gave up & bought bermuda. I'm going to put it on the bare spots next Tuesday before (supposedly) several days of rain.
Slim - i looked & looked, i dont think pennington sells zoysia, I'm pretty sure you bought bermuda.
SlimM
AG
No, it was definitely Zoysia!

Here is the exact bag I bought, and it's even on the Lowe's website!

sprintermike
Well crud! That sure looks like Zoysia! Let me see if Lowes website has a store near me with it in inventory.
Thanks Slim!
SlimM
AG
No problem!
SlimM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.