Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Code Requirements for Sediment Traps on Heater / Water Heater

12,509 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jswags
Sugar City Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am selling my home in Sugar Land and the Buyer's inspector noted that both my Heater and Water Heater were missing a dirt / sediment trap on the gas line entering the equipment.

My house is nine years old. Is this a new code requirement? My AC contractor (who does a lot of work in this area) says that these are not required in Sugar Land.

Anyone run across this issue? Who can I speak with to figure out: i) is this a code requirement; and ii) if it is, when did it become required.

Thanks!
Ryan the Temp
AG
I think they use the International Building Code. Call the municipal public works office and ask if they use any amendments to the IBC.
Absolute
AG
In DFW some cities have started to enforce this on new construction. Cannot say I have seen it on anything older than 2 years. Some cities are still not enforcing it. Check with your city. In general, you are not required to update to newer codes. But it may be easier to just have it fixed if they are really worried about it. Should not be that expensive or hard to do.
Capt Dan
AG
I do not think you are required to bring your home up to code to sell it unless it was not constructed to code at the time. When you replace the water heater you may trigger the upgrade. The inspector can just note what is up to code and what is not. You can refuse to change it if it met code at the time of construction. Not sure it can be grounds for refusal from the buyers either. Maybe a real estate proffessional can answer. I am about to go thru the same thing with a house I am selling.
jswags
AG
AKA Drip Leg - Either way it is a really quick and inexpensive fix. Where the gas line meets the flex connector of the water heater or furnace there needs to be a tee with a nipple and a cap.

scrappy94ag
The City of League City required it, and wouldn't allow it the way it is done in the picture. The gas flow had to hit a 90 in the "T". It couldn't flow straight through like in the picture.

Either way, it is still and easy fix.
jswags
AG
Just turn the tee in the vertical position.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.