Northgate CC Houston

1,073 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Conroe_Ag_8
Conroe_Ag_8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played it on Friday with some friends. Great shape, nice course. Older CC but I'm not a snob. Buddy told me under 40 memberships are very reasonable. Only downside is 1960 - but I'm not worried about that.

Anyone here current or past member?
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was our HS team golf course (only one course at the time) hated it but that was because I grew up playing at Raveneux. Ha!
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I first joined NG, before the apparent club boom, they were privately owned by an individual and we had full reciprocity with Walden-Lake Conroe. Dining options were great and food quality was high. Initiation was $500 (converted to club credit) and monthly fee was under $300 for full family membership (young executive) with unlimited cart usage.

I've aged out of that category and Walden reciprocity is gone along with certain dining options. Food quality is down as well. Now, full membership with unlimited cart fee is ~$850/month. Regardless of membership option, add cart fees to it, they aren't included.

Course conditions have been OK, bunkers are trash, range is not great (small and mats suck), and we've continuously implemented policies to free up the always packed tee sheet (can't book more than a week out, no show fees, must identify players, etc.). Ever since Raveneaux closed, things got more crowded. Oh, and the club sold to a conglomerate (concert golf, I think?), which has not been positive.

I will likely cancel or downgrade my membership as the value just isn't there for the price and my frequency of use. Let me know if you have any questions.
AggieInHouston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Darn. That stinks to hear. My kids are showing some interest in golf and NG was on my list to explore for a family membership. I was hoping that the newer ownership was a positive.

I'm sort of surprised to hear about the lack of reciprocity with Walden too, seeing as they have the same ownership.
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm biased of course, having been there since the "good ol days." Take a tour, play the course, eat some food. If you feel it's worth the investment, do it.

There's a Fast 5 membership which is cheaper. Unlimited play on the 5-hole loop (separate from the primary course). It's very walkable and a perfect spot to take kids. Took mine there quite a bit when they were young.

We still have access to Walden but have to pay the guest fee. Now have access to Pebble Creek as well; not sure what that means for that club.

Happy to host some Ags if anyone is interested.
ttoad4000t
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been a member 4-5 years. I am on the fence about continuing my membership. It is getting raised considerably, since the acquisition my fees have doubled, I am over $550/mo now.

The greens and fairway are in good to pretty good shape, I wouldn't say great. The clubhouse is mediocre but they are working on it. The sand traps are horrible but I think they are working on it. A couple of of my favorite holes were 13 and 14 and they weirdly clear cut the right sides of them for some reason. The "fast five" (what remains of the old 3rd nine that was wiped out by Harvey, is now 5 regulation sized holes that you can play independent from the main 18) is amazing for my 5 year old to play with me stress free, which is honestly the primary reason I am still a member.

It was a great "blue collar" club and they seem to be trying to make it into something it may not have been meant to be. I am not really sure how I feel about it.
Conroe_Ag_8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having played it recently, I think the reason for the clear cutting is that it lays in a pipeline ROW. You can see the yellow markers and the pipeline operator is required to maintain access.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.