Three-man scramble advice needed.

2,549 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DGrimesAg92
Texmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm playing a three-man scramble this coming weekend. Two of us are mid-50's and the third is about 30 years old. The young guy is very good and carries a plus handicap. Us old guys are about 8's. If you were on this team what order would you play each shot? Let the young guy hit first, last, or middle?

Last year we had him hitting last and a couple times it really backfired. Would you let the best player hit first and play his normal shot? Or hit last and try to make the hero shot each time?
TecRecAg
AG
I would have him go first off the box and putt last. If he's long and in a good spot, no reason for you two to be wasting tee shots. In between those two shots, order doesn't matter.
powerbelly
AG
I would have him hit first off the tee and putt last. One of yall should be able to put it in the fairway if he misses and I assume he is the best putter if he carries a + HC.
aggiebonzo
AG
I would have the plus handicap go last if you want to be more aggressive off the tee box. Typically in scrambles I'll rip dog off the tee on holes I typically wouldn't if there is a ball in play that's already
AggieP18
Play in these all the time

Best golfer should hit last so the older guys can get one in play then he can be more aggressive

Often times I think it just needs to be whoever is comfortable goes in whichever order, feeling good in your hitting order counts for a lot.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Don't get your A player overswinging..we always just mix it up and play ready golf.
bowhuntr
If he is a true plus handicap, it shouldn't matter - he likely has been in plenty of tough mental situations in the game. But if he was a mid single digit, going first off the tee is best. They'll start over swinging if "it doesn't matter"
schwabbin
AG
Let the plus handicapper decide. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.
HouAggie
AG
Last. Always last.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Last. Not worried about a + handicap being suckered into overswinging. But knowing he can take a risk by sticking with driver or cutting a dogleg more aggressively vs knowing he needs to get one in play is an asset that can save strokes
AggieDruggist89
AG
take the downhill putt
B$Weigem
AG
Yup, let the + play his game. Some guys just like to get up and hit, others like the pressure. Either way, good luck & have fun.
CapCity12thMan
AG
why would you ever want the best player hitting first? That just makes no sense.

I've been in this situation, and outside a few random shots here and there that happen to work out for the other two guys, the plus shots will count except for maybe 4 or 5 shots. For putting you just hope your other guys get lucky and roll a few in.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Don't get your A player overswinging

I'd really like to know what this means

boy09
AG
I'll say middle, just because no one else has said it yet.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Quote:

Don't get your A player overswinging

I'd really like to know what this means

If the players leading off are hitting good shots, the A player could start over swinging trying to hit bombs.
trip98
AG
Have A player tee off last. One of you two guys get a playable ball and give him more options/less stress.

For putting, that might be something you figure out after a couple of holes. If someone is in a groove putting have them go last.
Texmid
AG
trip98 said:

Have A player tee off last. One of you two guys get a playable ball and give him more options/less stress.

For putting, that might be something you figure out after a couple of holes. If someone is in a groove putting have them go last.
Putting order isn't an issue. I am a feel putter and always go first. I let the other two decide who wants to go next based on what I do. On days when I am really feeling it, they don't have to make a decision because mine goes in.
Kansas Kid
Texmid said:

trip98 said:

Putting order isn't an issue. I am a feel putter and always go first. I let the other two decide who wants to go next based on what I do. On days when I am really feeling it, they don't have to make a decision because mine goes in.

I am going to disagree on putting order doesn't matter. If you give a top flight putter a couple of looks at the line, his chance of making the putt goes up a lot. I know I make my second putt from the same spot a lot of the time because I know the line.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, best putter last
aggiedent
AG
People actually take a scramble seriously enough to worry about order of hitting? Wow. We always seemed to be more worried about access to beer.
Big Baccala
AG
What ever you do do not leave putts short! And, don't miss on the low side.
CapCity12thMan
AG
A players/plus hdcps already know how to hit bombs and are in control of things to be able to dial up/dial down. This is how they got to A.
Texmid
AG
aggiedent said:

People actually take a scramble seriously enough to worry about order of hitting? Wow. We always seemed to be more worried about access to beer.
Not sure what kind of scrambles you are playing. This was the payout last year.

schwabbin
AG
aggiedent said:

Yes, people care about the golf too. Usually those posting on the Golf Forum.
Kansas Kid
Once the Calcuttas are added to the mix, it is a serious game and you are hoping for be other groups are playing honestly. The game you posted is one where the beers flow after the rouns.
Texmid
AG
Kansas Kid said:

Once the Calcuttas are added to the mix, it is a serious game and you are hoping for be other groups are playing honestly. The game you posted is one where the beers flow after the rouns.
This is the beauty of 3-man teams, they pair you with another team so no one can cheat.
bowhuntr
What was the verdict and how did it go? My guess, A player mixed it up and changed the batting order depending on the situation .
Agzonfire
bowhuntr said:

What was the verdict and how did it go? My guess, A player mixed it up and changed the batting order depending on the situation .

My guess, A player went last most of the time. They shot a 59 but lost to a team of 65 yr olds who shot a 71 but wrote down a 52
bowhuntr
New theory, they won all the $$$ and stayed out at the bar celebrating the win…still sleepin
Texmid
AG
bowhuntr said:

They are both Aggies as well so I showed them this thread Friday night. A-player decided he preferred going first off the tee and also on approach shots. We mixed it up on and around the greens. I putted first every time and made a bunch. We shot 60 the first day and 62 Sunday which won us 3rd in our flight.

Thank you all for your advice.
Matsui
AG
That is awesome! Congrats and thanks for the update!
bowhuntr
Congrats!
DGrimesAg92
I'm still trying to get over "rip dog"......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.