Trinity Forest

1,605 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by concac
cpatin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was looking on the website on booking a round/rates for Trinity Forest in Dallas.

I thought they had to keep something like 25-50% of the rounds public, but didnt see a way to book. Do you just have to call the clubhouse?

Ive heard its not all it was hyped up to be and the lack of trees make it nice and toasty, but its been around long enough I need to finally get down there and play it.

Any advice/help is appreciated.
powerbelly
AG
I believe they achieve this by hosting tournaments and events that are "open to the public"

It wouldn't hurt to call the clubhouse.
Shaggie 05
AG
I personally love playing that course. It's big and long and different in all the right ways for me personally, and always in phenomenal shape. Probably the best fairways and greens I've ever played on.

But powerbelly is correct. they mainly fill their public quota with 2 events. The Dallas amateur, which is next week, but requires qualifying at one of five qualifiers at cedar crest earlier in the summer. If you qualify for the amateur you get a practice round at a reasonable rate and then 2 tournament rounds. I've been lucky enough to qualify a few times, which is how I've gotten to play it, but wish I could play it more.

They also have a play day every thanksgiving where you can buy a group and play for charity.
cpatin
AG
Ah. Dang. I dont see my skills qualifying me for that one.

I'll start hitting up some vendors and seeing what they can make happen.
AgLA06
AG
For those of us not in the area and have no clue. Why is there "public play" required? Was it partially funded by public bonds or a public entity?
powerbelly
AG
The city owns the land and part of the clubs agreement is that they allow a certain amount of public play.

This is a pretty good high level summary:

https://dallascityhall.com/government/Council%20Meeting%20Documents/ttrp_3_trinity-forest-golf-course-update_combined_020816.pdf
Shaggie 05
AG
The thanksgiving play is a good option then, and there is a net division for the amateur. I don't think it takes as many as the open division, but still an option if you can play to your handicap.
AgLA06
AG
powerbelly said:

The city owns the land and part of the clubs agreement is that they allow a certain amount of public play.
Sounds like they got around that pretty easily.
TecRecAg
AG
A good friend of mine is high up in the equipment/maintenance team out there and I haven't been able to sniff a tee time.

You're going to need to find a member if you want to play it.
clobby
AG
If you watch the Dallas private schools fundraising auctions that are online, you can find rounds. Few years back they had a foursome go for $1200.
Quinn
AG
Does it really stay so busy that you can't get on? I've always been intrigued by the course (the style fits my eye), but assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the course was a flop.
powerbelly
AG
Quinn said:

Does it really stay so busy that you can't get on? I've always been intrigued by the course (the style fits my eye), but assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the course was a flop.
No, it is usually pretty empty, but I think that is how the membership prefers it.

The course is so much fun to play, but it is a second or third club for the members I know and they like being able to just show up and play.
FTAco07
AG
The course is great, but as others have said I wouldn't want it to be my only club. It's great to play for a tournament or as a guest, and the clubhouse is top notch. You aren't going to get a random public round in so don't waste your time.
Legend
AG
It took a lot of criticism when it hosted the Nelson. It wasn't a good venue for all the crowds, etc and many players didn't love it (mainly because it was so different from traditional PGA venues). It came close to folding during Covid but has rebounded nicely. It's a fun course, with great facilities and a great membership. They claim to have the lowest average handicap of any club in Dallas.

Golf only and never crowded. Most people have it as a second club.

Hanrahan
AG
Couple of my friends here in Austin have t Forrest as a second membership. We've gone up there a couple times to play. As stated course is usually empty, and clubhouse is pretty nice. Course is pretty cool but lack of trees takes away a lot of my interest in it. It's a super cool place to play once of twice a year but as stated above I wouldn't want that to be my daily course.
concac
AG
AgLA06 said:

powerbelly said:

Sounds like they got around that pretty easily.
And some people's bank accounts got fatter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.