Monterey recommendations

2,673 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bagger05
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to roll into Monterey. We are going to be there for about a month.

Looking forward to the golf, but also interested if folks have any recs for good restaurants, breweries, coffee shops, wineries and other hangouts.
bowhuntr
Completely random and not golf advice, but go to Compagno's deli early in your trip for lunch - you will want to go more than once.
Super86
AG
Second for grabbing a sandwich at Compagno's. Lucy's in pacific grove does different style hot dogs, mostly outdoor seating and good for kids. Rosine's has fantastic cakes and the food is good. Check out Mission Ranch in Carmel-by-the-Sea for a dinner. Reds donuts is overrated (IMO) if you need donuts Monterey Donuts on Fremont is better, specifically the fritters.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Are you staying in Monterey? Do you want to stay local with eating dining, or do you plan on spending time in Carmel?
bagger05
AG
We will be here a while so definitely interested in both.

We are staying in Pacific Grove up the hill above Cannery Row. A cashier at Trader Joe's recommended Bulldog Pub as a place he would go personally. Another lady recommended Chez Noir in Carmel as a fancy dinner option.

Looking for any and all recs.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
La Bicyclette in Carmel

https://www.labicycletterestaurant.com/
AggieDruggist89
AG
If not already, the bagpiper at the Spanish Bay - more specifically at the Patio.

Do it once. It's quite enjoyable.

chick79
AG
Sardine Factory in Monterey and Sunday brunch by the 18th green at Pebble Beach.
SW AG80
AG
Also Sunday brunch at Mission Ranch. Best one we have ever been to. Beautiful setting.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Here's an easy hangout for you.

Tarpys Roadhouse in Del Rey Oaks, about 10 min from Pacific Grove. Actually it's near the airport. I used to live 2 blocks away from Tarpys.

Make a reservation and sit in the courtyard near the fireplace or heater. Their buttermilk chicken sandwich is really good.

I remember 8 of us hanging out there after golf and another time taking my daughter and her college friends. We love it.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Don't forget to play Bayonet Black Horse in Seaside.

See you in the F Golf thread after Bayonet and then I LOVE GOLF thread after Black Horse, maybe.

Poppy Hills is a must.
Ag_07
AG
Not in Monterey proper but if you're there that long make the jaunt up to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo.

The greens and bunkers are still being restored but I think one of the nines is complete and you can play it twice at quite a discount.
MAROON
AG
I was going to mention this as well until I found out you can only play the front nine right now.

I actually have only played the front 9 there. Went years ago, while the wife was on a business trip. Drove over to get on as a single and had to sit around for four hours until they finally got me on. But I only had enough time to play the front 9 before heading back to San Jose. Still worth it.
bagger05
AG
You can play the front nine twice right now. Not cheap but think I'm gonna go do it. I feel like it'd be wrong to not play it while I'm here.
aginlakeway
AG
Blueberry pancakes at Ripplewood Cafe in Big Sur.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Duckhook
AG
aginlakeway said:

Can you get down to Big Sur now with the highway washout? If so, I would also recommend Nepenthe restaurant. Nice drive down there and a beautiful setting right on the coastal cliff.
aginlakeway
AG
Duckhook said:

aginlakeway said:

Can you get down to Big Sur now with the highway washout? If so, I would also recommend Nepenthe restaurant. Nice drive down there and a beautiful setting right on the coastal cliff.

Great restaurant. Better view.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
bagger05
AG
Duckhook said:

aginlakeway said:

I think the problems with the highway are south of Big Sur.
bagger05
AG
Played a VERY foggy round at Poppy Hills today.

Got a tee time for Friday afternoon at Pebble.

bowhuntr
Is that #1? I was a member there about 15 years ago - before the renovation. Really fun place.
htownag2007
AG
I'm playing Poppy Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it
bowhuntr
It's so nice to play a round a golf and not think about the temperature. Just the smell of the pines, the grass and the ocean.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One good outcome of covid was that Pebble finally started allowing push carts. That old policy was such a shakedown
bagger05
AG
I think the first one is #1. I think the second one is 17.
austinag1997
AG
I played Pacific Grove muni when I was there. How did you get a tee time at Pebble? That seemed tough unless staying on property.
austinag1997
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

If not already, the bagpiper at the Spanish Bay - more specifically at the Patio.

Do it once. It's quite enjoyable.

That is a fun time!
bagger05
AG
You just call the day before and if they have openings they will get you on. The website says 24 hours but my buddy called Wednesday and they gave us a spot on Friday. So I think 24 hours is more of a guideline than a rule.
bowhuntr
bagger05 said:

I think the first one is #1. I think the second one is 17.
Yep, now I see it…17 is tricky and I always walked so I was a little worn out. Long approach shot there typically.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, their tee time rule is 24 hours if not staying on property, but both times I played it, I called 7-10 days out and they gave me one. Was actually the first off both times. That said, I was a single looking for a midweek tee time. It's also non-cancelable 7-10 days out, so they know they are getting your $$$ for sure

Unless the tee sheet is pretty full, they seem to play ball. The first time, I was calling just to confirm the rule, but the guy proactively offered to see how full the sheet was and put me down. The 2nd time I talked her into it a bit (the fact the guy did it before gave me angle), but she didn't take much coaxing
bagger05
AG
Played Bayonet today. Very cool track.
bagger05
AG
We just booked today for Thursday. So the 24 hr rule is definitely not hard and fast.
bagger05
AG
Played Pebble yesterday. 89 with some sloppiness in there. One of the hardest things was not overthinking every shot. The round was BRUTALLY slow and you're waiting a long time on every shot. I had plenty of time to talk myself out of a smart play.

Did have an awesome birdie on 6. Hit a great 3w to a foot short of the green.

Course is a lot harder than I was expecting. Looking forward to playing again next week.

Spanish Bay today.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pebble is very open, but it's defense is the size of the greens. Smallest of all PGAT stops and about 50% the size of the average green. And they are well protected by steep-faced bunkers if you miss. So the approach shot game and bunker game have to be dialed.
bagger05
AG
Played Spyglass today.

I've heard people say it's better than Pebble and I can see why. I think it depends on how you define "best." Spyglass didn't really have any weak holes.

I thought Spanish Bay was fine. I didn't think it had a lot of character. I heard they're renovating it next year. I hope they do to it what they did to Pinehurst. It's on a great piece of property and I think if they let nature be the star it would be a lot better.
bagger05
AG
Also if you're coming to Monterey, check out the Duke's membership. Discounted rates at Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and DelMonte plus some free rounds at The Hay.

Might be a winner if you're playing multiple rounds at some of these places.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.