Golf Trip for Dad's 70th

1,994 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CapCityAg89
AggieFactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Dad's 70th is in a couple summers so starting to look at a golf trip my brother and I can take him on. Looking for a spot in the US with multiple course options. Pebble Beach is the obvious top of mind choice but he has already played it. Suggestions or tips? While I am close to scratch, both of them play at a 15 handicap so nothing too difficult would be preferable.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Personally, I would want to take him somewhere new. Unless he just flat out loved Pebble and has talked of going back.
AustinCountyAg
Scottsdale for non summer time frame or big cedar lodge…. These are my two picks simply cause they golf is great and you can use carts. I'm assuming at 70 he won't want to walk courses? If he does that opens up many more options.

ETA: Hilton head would be another good option
AggieFactor
AG
Yeah not going to do Pebble since he's already gone. He will have had both knees replaced by then and hopes to be able to walk, especially if we have caddies.
Retired Principal
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Scottsdale for non summer time frame or big cedar lodge…. These are my two picks simply cause they golf is great and you can use carts. I'm assuming at 70 he won't want to walk courses? If he does that opens up many more options.

ETA: Hilton head would be another good option

These are great options. I also loved Pinehurst. Played 9 rounds in 5 days. Can't do that anymore. They run a great operation.
Aggie369
AG
Pinehurst
Streamsong
Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama
Kiawah
Ag_07
AG
Kiawah
EliteElectric
Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada, a lot of other options in the same area.

www.elitellp.net/

tamu2009
AG
Why dont you just drive to Lajitas?
tamu2009
AG
In reality, I'm glad Aggie369 mentioned RTJ trail in Alabama. I'm doing this trip in April and taking my dad who will be 68 by then.

We're doing day 1 at Grand National, a round at Capitol Hill, and finishing up with 2 rounds at Oxmoor Valley. I'm stoked
Aggie369
AG
Which courses at capitol hill and grand national?
aggieiniowa
AG
Sand Valley in Wisconsin was fantastic. Bandon has more courses, but by next summer Sand Valley will have three 18 hole courses plus the 17 hole par 3 short course. Sand Valley and Mammoth are both fantastic courses. The lodging and food are incredibly reasonable ($1 for tacos and breakfast sandwich and beer is $3). Golf courses are in great shape and a lot of fun to play. Mammoth is pretty wide open so it plays to low and high handicaps. Just a cool environment. Plus you have Erin Hill's, Koehler or Whistling Straits near by.
Quinn
AG
aggieiniowa said:

Sand Valley in Wisconsin was fantastic. Bandon has more courses, but by next summer Sand Valley will have three 18 hole courses plus the 17 hole par 3 short course. Sand Valley and Mammoth are both fantastic courses. The lodging and food are incredibly reasonable ($1 for tacos and breakfast sandwich and beer is $3). Golf courses are in great shape and a lot of fun to play. Mammoth is pretty wide open so it plays to low and high handicaps. Just a cool environment. Plus you have Erin Hill's, Koehler or Whistling Straits near by.

I'll second Sand Valley. It's awesome!

Edited to add that my dad is 68 and we walked 4 rounds in 3 days this summer and he held up just fine.
CapCity12thMan
AG
https://bigcedar.com/golf/

Close enough to Branson, MO to do old people things in addition to golf.
Tx_Aggie15
AG
If you haven't done it already I highly recommend Pinehurst.
bowhuntr
You mentioned summer…and a few folks are mentioning Pinehurst. Not an ideal spot that time of the year unless you like it hot.
AustinCountyAg
not US, but damn close and quick 4 hr flight from TX.

If you really want to play some scenic courses (not tour level quality), but world class views go to Banff. I played Fairmont Springs in Banff several years ago and it is at the top of my list. I've done Big Cedar, Scottsdale, Kiawah, etc so I have been lucky to play some good courses.

As far as views, price, quality the golf up there is hard to beat. Quick drive outside Calgary and their are close to 5 or so great courses within 30 min of Canmore/Banff. IIRC Fairmont cost the most, maybe $150 or so without rentals? Nothing outrageous. Honestly I was hoping to playing a different course in Canmore at the time and pass on Banff Springs, but a tournament at the other course "forced" me to play it. It was a tragedy lol.

We were planning on taking a guys trip up there last year after all my buds got tired of me constantly bragging on the place. Perfect weather to boot too.

EliteElectric
Banff is only 2.5 hours from TX? I would have guessed 5
www.elitellp.net/

CapCity12thMan
AG
it's TexAgs...you can get to Canada in 2.5 hours or drive to Lajitas from San Antonio, play 18 and drive back in time for dinner.
AgOutsideAustin
EliteElectric
AustinCountyAg
EliteElectric said:

Banff is only 2.5 hours from TX? I would have guessed 5
nvm, yes its closer to 4.5 hrs. Not sure why I was thinking it was 2.5. Time flys when having fun I suppose. Either way it's not that bad to travel from Houston.
buppy
oldschool87
AG
Quinn said:

aggieiniowa said:

I'll second Sand Valley. It's awesome!

Edited to add that my dad is 68 and we walked 4 rounds in 3 days this summer and he held up just fine.
I loved Sand Valle also, but not sure they have carts... There are certainly no cart paths...

Just FYI, you walk.

Also they have a 17 hole par 3 course that is a lot of fun, easy walk...
cb1919
AG
If you are going to do a summer trip, I would do Wisconsin or Bandon. Bandon probably depending on his stamina as it's walking only.

Streamsong, Pinehurst, Kiawah are all probably tough in the summer. We did Streamsong in October and still had to be pounding waters to manage the heat.
JYDog90
AG
Tx_Aggie15 said:

Are there a lot of forced carries there? Also if you're landing short of greens can you roll the ball up onto the surface?

I've been thinking about this with my dad and I want something nice but I'm afraid that I can find a course too hard. I want something where he'll truly enjoy it and not feel like he got beat up for 3 days.
Quinn
AG
Correct. No carts unless you have a medical condition. We actually were the group behind a cart rider - I believe a Sand Valley caddy has to drive the cart.
CapCityAg89
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Tx_Aggie15 said:

Are there a lot of forced carries there? Also if you're landing short of greens can you roll the ball up onto the surface?

I've been thinking about this with my dad and I want something nice but I'm afraid that I can find a course too hard. I want something where he'll truly enjoy it and not feel like he got beat up for 3 days.

Myrtle Beach. Just be picky about the courses. Caledonia, True Blue, Barefoot, Prestwick. There are great courses there plus restaurants and shows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.