Golf In Kauai

3,001 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by E
CoppellAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am heading to Kauai in June for a week and am looking for a course to play while there. Looking on the map, I am only seeing 2 courses anywhere near where we're staying (Sheraton At Coconut Beach) - Wailua and Puakea. Has anyone played these courses or have any other recommendations ?

I am travelling with my wife and another couple, and none of them play golf - so I'll be flying solo for the round.

Thanks in advance !

Edit - just did a Google search and see quite a few more courses listed - just curious to hear any recommendations from those who have played there.
dcrewint
I played Princeville Makai and that was my fave.

I also played Poipu Bay. It had some pretty sites and near holes but didn't put me in awe.

If given the chance to play them again I'd definitely pick Makai over Poipu. I'd still enjoy either.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Funny story about Princeville. My wife and I make the turn and grab a couple of hot dogs and cokes at the snack shack. Girl cashes us out, and says "watch out for the chickens." I think to myself, yeah yeah, the gd chickens are everywhere on this island, thinking that she was warning me not to run over them with the golf cart.

We hit our tee shots on 10 and turn to go back to the cart, and there are half a dozen chickens in the freaking golf cart, devouring our hot dogs.

Watch out for the chickens, indeed.
CoppellAg93
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Funny story about Princeville. My wife and I make the turn and grab a couple of hot dogs and cokes at the snack shack. Girl cashes us out, and says "watch out for the chickens." I think to myself, yeah yeah, the gd chickens are everywhere on this island, thinking that she was warning me not to run over them with the golf cart.

We hit our tee shots on 10 and turn to go back to the cart, and there are half a dozen chickens in the freaking golf cart, devouring our hot dogs.

Watch out for the chickens, indeed.
Great story - thanks for the warning !
I should have ordered the chicken sandwich...
Rubble
AG
I'll second the Makai course, and yes watch out for the chickens. The par 3's on the front are magnificent!

Kauai Lagoons by the airport is a good one too. I've never played Poipu, but they used to play the grand slam of golf there.

Really wish they'd figure out the Prince course. That one was always my favorite.
The Grinder (99)
AG
when are you going and do you have a set day you'll be playing? I'm going to be there in June as well and have contemplated playing, but I'd also be playing alone.
CoppellAg93
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

when are you going and do you have a set day you'll be playing? I'm going to be there in June as well and have contemplated playing, but I'd also be playing alone.
We get there on 6/2 and leave on the 9th. Haven't thought about a specific day yet - we're still in the research stage as far as planning out excursions, etc. Would be great to meet a fellow Ag and play a round if the time lines up though.
NColoradoAG
Played Poipu Bay 15 years ago. Don't remember much from the day other than it was pretty windy the whole round (typical I know) and it started raining as we walked off the 18th green and didn't quit for 3 days. A dam broke on the north side of the island and ended up killing half a dozen people IIRC.
dcrewint
Poipu Bay's 15th and 16th holes are really the only ocean scenic holes. A perk of staying nearby here is a shopping/food area within a mile or 2.
dcrewint
Makai Princeville had 2 or 3 ocean holes, but they were quite better than Poipu. Also like an above poster said the front 9 have some awesome non-ocean holes. Drop-off tee shot par 3 and a monster climb right back up the next par 4.
SweaterVest
AG
Played Makai a couple of times and Poipu once. Makai is outstanding but not sure if it's worth it for you to drive 45-1hr from where you're staying. Poipu would probably be easier to slip away for a couple of hours.
The Grinder (99)
AG
we arrive on the 15th. guess it won't line up this time. have fun!
ChemAg15
AG
I played Hokuala a few years ago. It's called the ocean course but you don't see the ocean until the back 9. It was a great course. I'd definitely play it again.

I also played Wailua earlier in the trip. Hokuala was the superior course so I'm glad I played it second. Golf in Hawaii is amazing. You can't go wrong with either course.
Tailgate88
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

I am heading to Kauai in June for a week and am looking for a course to play while there. Looking on the map, I am only seeing 2 courses anywhere near where we're staying (Sheraton At Coconut Beach) - Wailua and Puakea. Has anyone played these courses or have any other recommendations ?

I am travelling with my wife and another couple, and none of them play golf - so I'll be flying solo for the round.

Thanks in advance !

Edit - just did a Google search and see quite a few more courses listed - just curious to hear any recommendations from those who have played there.
No golf advice, but go into Hanalei one day, window shop, eat at the Dolphin.

Go into Hanalei another night and eat at Tahiti Nui's. Get a table in the front room and enjoy the band.

Snorkel at Tunnels.

Go to the Lighthouse (touristy, but cool - )

Eat at Sushi Girl for lunch one day in Kilauea.

Get a day pass and rent cabanas at the Sheraton in Poipu. It's on the beach and but has a pool right there and the waves are AMAZING. Call ahead to reserve.

(Unfortunately the Princeville Resort (formerly the St. Regis) is under renovation or I'd send you there for your final night's dinner.)

Have fun!

(My sister has a house there and we go every other summer - feel free to PM me with questions.)
muleshoe
AG
We stayed here a few years ago, in a "cottage". Ended up being bigger than our house....stumbled across a good deal on VRBO, but booked it thru Parrish Kuai. They were very good....

https://kukuiula.com/destination/golf/

Golf was amazing, just not sure if you can play without staying at the resort.
Rubble
AG
Tailgate88 said:

CoppellAg93 said:

Thanks in advance !

Go into Hanalei another night and eat at Tahiti Nui's. Get a table in the front room and enjoy the band.

Snorkel at Tunnels.

Get a day pass and rent cabanas at the Sheraton. It's on the beach and but has a pool right there and the waves are AMAZING. Call ahead to reserve.

(Unfortunately the Princeville Resort (formerly the St. Regis) is under renovation or I'd send you there for your final night's dinner.)

Have fun!

(My sister has a house there and we go every other summer - feel free to PM me with questions.)

Agree with all of this. The Dolphin is awesome! Is tropical taco still around? I haven't been in 10 years and I know a lot has changed since then. We used to go about every other year. My parents still have a time share, but at one time owned a condo on the Makai course.

I miss Bubba's Burgers too
Rubble
AG
BTW, drive up to the top lookout over Kalalau Valley. You won't be disappointed.

Also, if you ever see Waialeale without a cloud on it, take pictures. It's the wettest spot on earth. Over 400" of rain per year.
CoppellAg93
AG
Thanks so much for all the great recs !! Much appreciated !!
muleshoe
AG
One more.....these guys were awesome.....

https://www.napali.com/
Tailgate88
AG
Rubble said:

Tailgate88 said:

CoppellAg93 said:

Thanks in advance !

Snorkel at Tunnels.

Get a day pass and rent cabanas at the Sheraton. It's on the beach and but has a pool right there and the waves are AMAZING. Call ahead to reserve.

Have fun!

Agree with all of this. The Dolphin is awesome! Is tropical taco still around? I haven't been in 10 years and I know a lot has changed since then. We used to go about every other year. My parents still have a time share, but at one time owned a condo on the Makai course.

I miss Bubba's Burgers too
Have not eaten at Tropical Taco but Bubba Burger was still there as of two summers ago. We ate at the one in Kapa'a.

Pat's Tacos is a food truck in Hanalei that we never miss. Great after a morning of snorkeling!
The Milkman
AG
Would yall take Princeville (or Kauai golf of choice) over Kapalua Plantation? Wife and I are going in fall and will do both Kauai and Maui, but I think I'll only be able to swing one round.
dcrewint
Both courses were enjoyable. I'd say view wise Princeville Makai gives you better views overall. Kapalua was fun just to play on a course the pros tear up.

Princeville for a more relaxed vibe, Kapalua for more of a test your skill situation. If I were to simplify things.
I love Kapalua, and I always score better than at Princeville. And there are fewer chickens.
WhoopN06
Reminds of the Racoons at Bethpage. They'll take any food item right out of the golf cart.
CoppellAg93
AG
On my only other trip to Hawaii, we stayed on Maui in the Kannapali Shores area and spent the last 2 nights at the Ritz in Kapalua. I went over to the Plantation pro shop and bought some souvenirs but didn't play the course - which I now regret - because I would've played by myself. I did play the Royal Kaanapali Course - thought it was a nice course with some good views. If I end up going back to Maui, I will definitely play the Plantation course.
The Milkman
AG
So we've officially booked our Maui/Kauai trip for September and I see that they will be aerating at Kapalua about 10-12 days before I was planning to play. For those of you with experience do you think thats enough time for it to recover so I'd still get the appropriate experience?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
The Milkman said:

So we've officially booked our Maui/Kauai trip for September and I see that they will be aerating at Kapalua about 10-12 days before I was planning to play. For those of you with experience do you think thats enough time for it to recover so I'd still get the appropriate experience?
I'm Sooper, but not a superintendent.

That should be plenty of time in that climate.
65532ag
Question which one, Poipu Bay or Ocean course Hokuala? Going in late October
BigHitterDaLama
65532ag said:

Question which one, Poipu Bay or Ocean course Hokuala? Going in late October
Ocean course Hokuala
E
AG
Getting married next April in Kauai… looking forward to playing Princeville
The Milkman
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

The Milkman said:

I'm Sooper, but not a superintendent.

That should be plenty of time in that climate.

FWIW it was indeed plenty of time. Conditions were amazing, even if not perfect by their standards. Gladly take that $150 discount. An incredible experience playing Kapalua
E
AG
E said:

Getting married next April in Kauai… looking forward to playing Princeville
Welp, went to book my tee time for 4/22/22 and they are shutdown for the three days prior for aeration...

Looks like i'm gonna play Hokuala instead that day. Also planning on trying to play Wailua the morning of my wedding with my buddies, its nearby and cheap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.