Pebble/Spyglass

6,052 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm playing Pebble and Spyglass in a couple weeks. Thought it'd be cool to hear some stories, see some pictures, etc from the folks who have made that trip. First time going and can't wait to shoot record high scores on two great courses.

Food, drink, and any other recommendations are welcome.
Rubble
AG
Went two years ago. Happiest I've ever been shooting 98 (PB) and 105 (SH). Sprayed my driver everywhere those two days. Would have easily broken 90 both days with how I'm hitting that club now.

Walk and get a caddie, you'll thank me later.
Rubble
Rubble
AG

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Calves activated, you crushed it.
ddub96
AG
I love both of those courses. Two of my favorites. #6 at Pebble with my dad.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Played Pebble a couple of times and Spyglass once. Spyglass will take its pound of flesh, but Pebble is really not that hard. Pretty wide open off the tee and not all that long. The real challenge is the fact the greens are very small - smallest greens of all PGA tour stops and about 60% the size of the average PGA stop green. So having the short and mid irons dialed in as well as the chipping game sharp were key to shooting some good scores there.

First time at Pebble was a work trip to SF where I decided to head down and play Pebble kind of last minute. Booked a 6:30am tee time (first of the day), didn't have a caddy, and there were no other tee times until 7. You want a Field of Dreams "Is this heaven moment?", that was it, especially once I hit 4-5-6 where you start going by to the ocean. I literally had Pebble Beach all to myself.
JCA1
AG
Agree with Danny. PB ain't that bad. IMO, if you can avoid the green side traps, it's pretty easy if the wind isn't howling. I'm about a 16 Index and I had 5 pars and a birdie.

Spyglass is something else. It crushed me.
JCA1
AG
And here's a few shots of Pebble -

Rubble
AG
I knew someone would say that as soon as I posted it.

That was actually the best iron I hit all day. Lipped out a 15'er for birdie.
Rubble
AG
First tee at Spyglass.

As others have said, that course will beat you up
aggiedent
AG
And OP, you are aware that Monterey County has shutdown their bars, restaurants, etc for indoor service, right?
Rubble
AG
I posted on the "best golf course food" thread that Pebble had a pretty damn good hot dog at the halfway shack. Hopefully that's open
Trucker 96
The caddies also can't carry your clubs right now either. Ball hunting and advice only. Walk, cart, or bring your own push cart (push carts not usually allowed)
Rubble
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

The caddies also can't carry your clubs right now either. Ball hunting and advice only. Walk, cart, or bring your own push cart (push carts not usually allowed)

Wow. At least they're letting you bring your own push cart. I think you get a better feel for the beauty of you walk.
Trucker 96
Yeah, walking is an absolute must if you are capable of it.
Texmid
AG
I was really fired up playing Pebble. Smashed a driver off the first tee. Hit a wedge into the bunker on the left. Hit that ball over the green and into the bunker on the right. Finally get on the green and two-putt for a double bogey.

Hole 2 I kill it off the tee. Hit a 4-iron onto the green and sink the putt for Eagle.

Even par after two.

Great day!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Quit after two ? Smart man .....
Rubble
AG
I topped a 3W off the first tee. Hit a good 4i. Pushed a PW into the front right bunker. 3 shots later I was in the green. 2 putt for an 8. What a great way to start the magical experience.
The Lost
pictures dont do pebble justice after having gone to the ATT Proam there earlier in the year, awesome experience
Texmid
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

I ended up settling down and played pretty good. Shot 78. Almost made an ace on 7. Divot was about six inches in front of the cup. The ball hops just right of the flag, spins back and stops about 1 inche from going in. My caddie was almost as excited as I was.

Here is a picture of the divot.

JCA1
AG
Texmid said:

I was really fired up playing Pebble. Smashed a driver off the first tee. Hit a wedge into the bunker on the left. Hit that ball over the green and into the bunker on the right. Finally get on the green and two-putt for a double bogey.

Hole 2 I kill it off the tee. Hit a 4-iron onto the green and sink the putt for Eagle.

Even par after two.

Great day!
Similar experience on No. 1. That first tee shot may be the most nervous I've ever been hitting a golf ball. It's PB and there is always a decent crowd standing around watching whoever is teeing off. Went with a 5-wood. Actually did OK. Put it down the right side of the fairway with about 140 in. Put my second in the right green side bunker. Smashed my third over the green into the left bunker. Finally got on the green and 2 putted.

No. 2. I hit a decent drive and put my second in the right green side bunker. I then proceeded to air mail my 3rd over the green and into the OB area behind it. Walked off with an 8.

Settled down after that and had a string of pars with a birdie to boot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I bogeyed #1 both times, then settled down to shoot 78 the first and 76 the 2nd time. What got me on #1 was the dang banked fairway. I plopped a hybrid into perfect position middle of the fairway about 140-150 out both times, but at least the first time, I was surprised at how far the ball was below my feet. Didn't exactly lend itself to making the first iron swing of the day a great one.
Duckhook
AG
Texmid said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

I ended up settling down and played pretty good. Shot 78. Almost made an ace on 7. Divot was about six inches in front of the cup. The ball hops just right of the flag, spins back and stops about 1 inche from going in. My caddie was almost as excited as I was.

Here is a picture of the divot.

I have a friend who aced #7. When he finished his round they had a #7 flag waiting for him that had been signed and dated by the pro noting the event. Pretty cool.
Rubble
AG
JCA1 said:

Texmid said:

Even par after two.

Great day!
Similar experience on No. 1. That first tee shot may be the most nervous I've ever been hitting a golf ball. It's PB and there is always a decent crowd standing around watching whoever is teeing off. Went with a 5-wood. Actually did OK. Put it down the right side of the fairway with about 140 in. Put my second in the right green side bunker. Smashed my third over the green into the left bunker. Finally got on the green and 2 putted.

No. 2. I hit a decent drive and put my second in the right green side bunker. I then proceeded to air mail my 3rd over the green and into the OB area behind it. Walked off with an 8.

Settled down after that and had a string of pars with a birdie to boot.

Easily the most nervous I have ever been standing over a golf ball. My arms and legs were shaking, probably why I topped it.
CyAg86
AG
Be prepared for a slow round at Pebble. Just soak in the beauty and take plenty of pics. Both fabulous courses. Enjoy!
TX_Aggie37
AG
aggiedent said:

And OP, you are aware that Monterey County has shutdown their bars, restaurants, etc for indoor service, right?
Yeah unfortunately we probably won't get the most out of our trip, but we are starting in Napa for a few days then heading over. Golf is the most important part of the last 2 days for me. The rest will work itself out.
JCA1
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

aggiedent said:

Yeah unfortunately we probably won't get the most out of our trip, but we are starting in Napa for a few days then heading over. Golf is the most important part of the last 2 days for me. The rest will work itself out.
That's exactly the trip I took last year. 3 days in Napa, then drove down to Monterrey for 3 days.
dc509
AG
Get a caddie on both courses and just enjoy it. Pebble can be scored on, but I found myself distracted quite a bit and not really paying attention to golf. It's awesome. The teeth of Spyglass are its greens. I missed a 30 foot eagle putt by about 2 inches and it came back almost the exact same spot. I ended up with a 7.

Also, I have no idea if it will be this way now, but the first tee box on Pebble Beach is in the middle of the resort so you might have a over 100 people watching you.
DallasAggie89
AG
dc509 said:

Get a caddie on both courses and just enjoy it. Pebble can be scored on, but I found myself distracted quite a bit and not really paying attention to golf. It's awesome. The teeth of Spyglass are its greens. I missed a 30 foot eagle putt by about 2 inches and it came back almost the exact same spot. I ended up with a 7.

Also, I have no idea if it will be this way now, but the first tee box on Pebble Beach is in the middle of the resort so you might have a over 100 people watching you.

Looks like caddies aren't available now.
aggiedent
AG
No, OP went to Monterey not Monterrey. Much shorter trip.
dc509
AG
Eh, not the end of the world.
JCA1
AG
dc509 said:

Eh, not the end of the world.
My PB caddie was nothing special and basically just carried my bag. My caddie at Spyglass was pretty awesome. I can't remember what hole, but Cypress Point is in the distance and the caddie points it out. He also points to a hawk circling high above Cypress Point. After pointing to the hawk, you goes "You know what that is? That's the Cypress Point comment box."
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the caddie experience is a bit mixed. I would say that walking the course should be priority #1, and if it takes a caddie for you to do that, then definitely get one (obviously in non-COVID restriction times vs. now since they can't carry). Beyond that, if you get one, there is the chance it helps with the experience, but certainly no guarantee. I've not seen any that I would consider a negative to the experience outside of a couple of comments from one guy on my 2nd trip to PB (another guy's caddie, actually), but don't count on getting the guy that is going to help you read every putt and tell you great stories either. But you'll have a great time either way, with or without.
Rubble
AG
My caddie was fantastic and was recommended to me, so I requested him to caddie for me a few weeks in advance. If you can request one, ask for Jere (Jerry) Nolan. You will not be disappointed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.