Fairway Farms, San Augustine, TX

9,484 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Eurofrog
mandevilleag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a thread in Outdoors about small towns, and someone mentioned being from San Augustine. It brought back memories of this great course. It closed back in '93 and is just a cattle ranch now. I was just wondering if anyone else here had a chance to play that course. I played it late '70s through the '80s. It was once ranked among the top 5 most difficult courses in the country, and was quite long for its time at 7600 yds. It really was a great course.
Poot
My Dad tells stories about how ahead of it's time that course was, and what a bear it was. He said the guy who owned it wanted it to be so hard that he would cut a new tee box if he got wind of a birdie being made. It wasn't important HOW the birdie was made... holed a wedge, etc... just knock down a stand trees and cut a tee box back further in the chute.
mandevilleag
I don't remember that happening. I believe the original owner died in the early '70s, so maybe that was something he did early on. It had a landing strip and he'd fly in his wealthy friends from all over. There was lots of water and large trees.
AgDotCom
I played it in 1995, I remember the year because in the clubhouse Sunday we watched John Daly win The Open.

The property was owned by a bank or another entity which had foreclosed on it. I was invited there by a client who had it under option to purchase, he asked me to bring some friends and stay the weekend and get our feedback on whether he should buy it or not.

It wasn't in top condition but the layout and the site were fantastic. The course was very long for the era in which it was built, and in the clubhouse there were newspaper articles, posters and other things, I think from the 1950s, which gave the course much acclaim. You could tell it had a national reputation.

Don't know how accurate this story is, but my client told me the guy who built it was kind of a "black sheep" son of a rich oil family from Pennsylvania or somewhere in the northeast. They gave him a share of the family money and told him to move away somewhere. He chose east Texas and built this golf course and sport resort, and built a mansion for himself in the middle of the property. A few famous people from the east coast, can't remember their names, flew in to the private airstrip to attend social events there. Maybe someone from east Texas will come along and tell us the real story.

You could tell it was an impressive place in its prime. The clubhouse and other facilities needed a LOT of work in '95, and my client took us through the old mansion which was uninhabitable and I was wary of something caving in or falling on us. Pretty unique experience. The thing which sticks in my mind, though, was no matter how adequate and elaborate man can build things, it's almost scary how fast nature can reclaim it if it's left to the elements.
1990AG
AG
I grew up in Nac and we played it all the time. Some really good money games out there that my older brother and dad played in. It was a long som*****

mandevilleag
The last time I was there was probably '86 or '87. The course was in good shape late '70's through '80s, but I could see the facilities falling into disrepair the last time I was there.

What was your favorite hole? For me it was the long Par 3, I think it was 17, that was completely over water. The green kinda jutted out into the lake. There was another Par 3 where the tee box was up on a hill and the green was down below at the bottom of the hill.
1990AG
AG
I was trying to find an old scorecard, but ran across this:

https://pineywoodsmedia.com/blog/exploring-fairway-farm-country-club/2019/07/25

Tom Hagen
AG
Golf Digest should do a story on the Top 50 courses that no longer exist. Pecan Valley would probably make the list.
AustinCountyAg
Twin lakes. Canton. RIP
Pine Tree
AG
Played it many times in '70s and '80s. Fantastic!!! Played high school golf tournament there. From the tips. Brutal.
Shelton98
AG
Don't want to derail the thread.... but, someone mentioned on another thread a while back that Bluebonnet in Navasota was closed. Does anyone know why? I played there a few times back in '96 - '98 and thought it was a terrific golf course for the price.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Shelton98 said:

Don't want to derail the thread.... but, someone mentioned on another thread a while back that Bluebonnet in Navasota was closed. Does anyone know why? I played there a few times back in '96 - '98 and thought it was a terrific golf course for the price.
Place closed years ago. Loved that track but never saw much traffic there. That's the type of place I'd like to buy and find a way to keep it my own private course.
Mr.Bond
AG
1990AG said:

I was trying to find an old scorecard, but ran across this:

https://pineywoodsmedia.com/blog/exploring-fairway-farm-country-club/2019/07/25

I wish the camera work was better I nearly puked
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

1990AG
LSUTiger
First off, pardon the username. I have a similar illness as you guys do, but a different strain. I will say that I do have friends & family that are Aggies & grew up hating tu. So hopefully y'all will give me a break.

I stumbled across this forum as I have been trying to find a logo golf ball from Fairway Farm. I grew up just across Toledo Bend & remember the stories. After college I played there once when it re-re-opened. I am now trying to complete a collection of logo balls from every course I have played (currently at 104 of 112). If you have any idea of where one may find a logo ball or even a logo I would be greatly appreciative.
Pignorant
AG
Beautiful setting.
PineAg
When my wife worked in San Augustine, I drove out to where Fairway Farms used to be. It's now a hay patch. What a shame. I visited with Coach Blair one year and he remembered playing FF at one time. It's famous for having one of the longest Par 5s around - over 700 yards.
NSU Demon
I was fortunate enough to be able to play this golf course in the fall of 1993. I was playing with the Northwestern State University of Louisiana (NSU) Demon golf team, which is also now extinct. I was paired with our best player (William Camping) who shot a 69. Our coach informed us that it took Ben Hogan 3-4 times playing this course before he shot under par. It was a beast, and it was a pleasure watching Bill pick it apart. I am genuinely sad to know that this golf course no longer exists. It was a piece of Texas history. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.
Boomer55
A Nac resident from 81-03, I worked for Zavalla and Chireno ISD's and AC. Had time to play Fairway Farm several times in the late 80's and early 90's summers. A tough track. Played a couple scramble tourneys out there and still have an old hat with "CRADLE OF TEXAS 4-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP" on the front and "FAIRWAY FARM '93" on the side. Brown hat with forest green bill n buttons. Learther strap on the back.
I'll swap the hat for a Fairway Farm logo ball in a heartbeat though if any of you fellas locate some. Gimme a holler. 281-795-2186 Coach K.
We heard legends that Bonnie & Clyde fancied the lodge cabins and pool there at the FF Club.
Anybody have info on that?
Slim Isle
It's owned by a local family now
herbie
S
Mandevilleag, I only played it a couple of times back in the middle 70s. I remember 1st time i walked up to the 1st tee box and thinking this is going to be one tough course. I hope i have enough balls to finish. my buddy said if you think this is tough turn and look where the pros tee off from. WOW it was quiet a ways back. Awesome course.
Eurofrog
The Fairway Farms course didn't close in "93. My parents lived in San Augustine and I played it over 30 times when I would visit them after 1980 including three times the summer of 1995. It closed soon after that. A guy had leased the golf course and worked hard to recondition it for a couple of years before giving up. It was tough as nails to play. Really miss it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.