Steve Stricker club head speed: driver

7,842 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He just teed off on #5 at Riviera with a driver, club head speed of 107. Like they said on the broadcast, that's a number people can relate to. Distance was 275.

Interesting to see how that massive distance gap between him and Tiger and JT (his partners today) will play out.
AggieDruggist89
AG
What's the ball speed, 150 to 160mph?
Front Range Ag
AG
I realize all pros can strike the ball phenomenally, but Steve is regarded as one of the better ones.

With the talk about the Distance Report and potential rules on conforming equipment and tougher course layouts, he might be an example of someone who would benefit relative to many of the others.
watty
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

What's the ball speed, 150 to 160mph?

He just hit another one and ball speed was 164, carry was 273. They didn't mention club head speed on that one.
jj9000
AG
Front Range Ag said:

With the talk about the Distance Report and potential rules on conforming equipment and tougher course layouts, he might be an example of someone who would benefit relative to many of the others.
Except that dumbing down the equipment and ball would adversely affect him more than the big guns.

His 275 yard Drive just turned into a 225 yard Drive.

The big guns would be dumbed down to 270.

Stricker (and all shorter hitters) are now taking a 3 wood for their 200 yard approach into a 425 yard Par 4.

The big guns are hitting Wedge to 8 iron as their 155 yard approach into the same hole.

Edit...I made up the 425 yard Par 4 number for conversation purposes, not, #5 at Riveira. But, extend the hole farther than 425 yards, and it affects Stricker that much worse.
Mr.Bond
AG
This is so insanely easy to fix. Shorten the width of the fairways around the 280 landing spot. Grow the rough to actually punish a missed fairway and boom. Profit
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

KC_Ag14
AG
jj9000 said:

Front Range Ag said:

Except that dumbing down the equipment and ball would adversely affect him more than the big guns.

Stricker (and all shorter hitters) are now taking a 3 wood for their 200 yard approach into a 425 yard Par 4.

The big guns are hitting Wedge to 8 iron as their 155 yard approach into the same hole.

Edit...I made up the 425 yard Par 4 number for conversation purposes, not, #5 at Riveira. But, extend the hole farther than 425 yards, and it affects Stricker that much worse.

Agreed that the players with the fastest club head speeds will always have an advantage in distance. But add more spin to the golf ball, and the dispersion in distance between them and the short knockers doesn't increase or remain the same, it shrinks. It's about percentages. Professional short and long hitters should lose a fixed percentage of their current yardage. Greater the yardage, bigger the percentage lost. 10% difference between two guys who hit it 325 and 290 goes to 287.5 and 261 respectively... difference goes from 35 yards to 26.5 yards. Again, still an advantage. But that number gets much smaller as you go down further in the bag. Also, not crazy to think that more speed means more spin which could make the long hitters percentage even bigger than the slower swing speeds. This is why I'd like to see a uniform golf ball with increased spin at the professional ranks.
jj9000
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

jj9000 said:

Front Range Ag said:

Agreed that the players with the fastest club head speeds will always have an advantage in distance. But add more spin to the golf ball, and the dispersion in distance between them and the short knockers doesn't increase or remain the same, it shrinks. It's about percentages. Professional short and long hitters should lose a fixed percentage of their current yardage. Greater the yardage, bigger the percentage lost. 10% difference between two guys who hit it 325 and 290 goes to 287.5 and 261 respectively... difference goes from 35 yards to 26.5 yards. Again, still an advantage. But that number gets much smaller as you go down further in the bag. Also, not crazy to think that more speed means more spin which could make the long hitters percentage even bigger than the slower swing speeds. This is why I'd like to see a uniform golf ball with increased spin at the professional ranks.

Different percentages penalized for different distance golfers is a terrible idea. Talk about a disincentive to hit the gym and get better physically.

Let's just give the entire field blue ribbons while we're leveling the field. No cut on Friday because everyone makes the cut. Nothing like artificially propping up the 25th percentile to create parity.

Maybe we can make the hole 24" in diameter as well to account for those guys that struggle with the putter? They deserve Birdies.
KC_Ag14
AG
Haha! I hear that side of it too. The other factor on mine is that's taking into account that they'll be leaving the courses setup exactly the way they are now. There's currently no premium on driving the ball accurately, and I think that is doing the professional game a disservice. Change the ball or change the setup.
jackie childs
what "problem" are we trying to fix?
watty
AG
Update: He just hit one with a club head speed of 108, and he carried it 247 with 2 feet of curve. The ball isn't flying as far right now, it's a cool morning out there. Justin Thomas followed it up with 116 mph club head speed and 262 carry. Tiger's was 117 mph, 258 carry.
oldschool87
AG
Not sure how many of you have ever played out of the sand the pros play out of... It is far better than any middle of the fairway muni lie you get!

It has a hard underneath, the ball sits up. It is no big deal.

You put that old school play ground sand in there, where if you get out of the bunker you have accomplished something and you can fix some of this crap...

That and just put church pew bunkers Every 10 yards starting at about 290....
E
AG
jackie childs said:

Exactly. I like seeing pros bomb drives 300+ and shoot really low rounds.
AggieDruggist89
AG
E said:

jackie childs said:

Exactly. I like seeing pros bomb drives 300+ and shoot really low rounds.

I remember Jack saying that the modern golf is making many golf courses obsolete and the new courses now require more land and more resources to maintain while golf is a shrinking industry as there are millions of less golfer today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.