Valero TX Open

2,359 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Swollen Thumb
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it is still a couple months away, but just announced that Rory committed.

I'm very surprised he doesn't usually play the week before the majors. Not to mention the the way the course is set up.
Yesterday
AG
His length should do well there.
Tom Hagen
AG
I believe the PGA Tour has a rule that you have to play a tournament once every four or five years.
cb1919
AG
Tom Hagen said:

I believe the PGA Tour has a rule that you have to play a tournament once every four or five years.

If you play less than 25 tournaments in a year, then you have to add a new one each year to your schedule that you haven't played in the last 4 years. I guess you could technically rotate between 4 tournaments to satisfy that.

Rory is a good start but I'll be interested to see if the Valero field still struggles being the week before the masters. Even with this new(ish) rule.
Flash02
I played the Oaks Monday. Putting it up the grandstands. About my 8th time to play it. IMO the hardest course around. But it's extremely plush. Like they double overseeded. There will be very little driver roll. Greens will be perfect in 5 weeks.
caddy
It looks like Fowler has committed to the Valero this year.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
caddy said:

Might be a good follow if his GF is there. Weather could be nice.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I went last year on Tuesday for the practice round. Will probably do the same this year.

Rickie spend something like 3 hours on the range working on mid-short irons. His guys and the Cobra guys were trying a bunch of *****

I followed Spieth for 12-13 holes and then camped out on 16th green and watched the pros **** around with bunker in the middle of the green.

Practically no one there on Tuesdays, and even fewer walking the course with the guys. Only 5 of us following Spieth. I'll probably follow Rory around this year if I get there in time.
Jjstats08
There's never any roll during the Valero. That's one of the reasons those guys hate the course. Designed to play hard and fast and for some reason they continue to water the hell out of it to soften it up for the Valero.
GIF Reactor
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

caddy said:

Might be a good follow if his GF is there. Weather could be nice.
Might be awkward if his wife is there also.
mike_ags_fan12
Shane Lowry confirmed
mike_ags_fan12
Six major winners in the tournament field so far.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Flash02 said:

I played the Oaks Monday. Putting it up the grandstands. About my 8th time to play it. IMO the hardest course around. But it's extremely plush. Like they double overseeded. There will be very little driver roll. Greens will be perfect in 5 weeks.
Yeah, I played Oaks for the first time recently just as they were starting to put up some of the grandstand structures on the back 9. It was like playing through a construction zone. Several holes had crews going full on with hammers and drills, yelling back and forth to each other, etc, which I suppose is understandable if they weren't charging the full green fees. The course itself is in amazing shape. It's long, but very playable. I thought there would be much more elevation change than there is. Greens were firm and fun but, outside of a few holes, I didn't think it was an overly interesting track and probably wouldn't pay what they charge to play it again (with or without the construction). Glad I played it once though...it will make watching the Valero Open more interesting if nothing else. I haven't paid much attention in the past, but seems like it would be a bombers paradise for the Tour guys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.