Swing "harder" and it flies better?

1,215 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
dahouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've noticed something since playing a little more again. I was a 12 before I had kids but now I'm getting to play a few more rounds after 6 years of 2-4 rounds per year.

My miss was always a push to the right, and a slice when I got tired. But, I've noticed in my last few rounds, when I turn it up with the driver, the ball seems to straighten out for me. I only try this a couple times per round where there is forgiving conditions, like a dogleg right with a WIDE fairway. I play for a fade and the thing flies straight, leaving the fairway behind and it clears the left edge.

Anyone experience this? It's only with my driver, as there isn't any reason to go after it with any other club, just club up.

Another strange thing I've noticed; my most dependable club is an old TM R7 rescue. I have it heavily weighted to the toe, which should cause a fade/slice, but I can hit it dead straight, and work it right to left. That seems backwards because I have lead tape on the heel of the driver to counteract the righties.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
The Shank Ag
Very strange indeed. The only time I ever try to give it everything I have is playing scrambles when I'm the last to go and we already have one in good position. Then I will rear back and usually end up spraying it 30 yards offline in either direction. Rarely will I catch it perfect and get that 340 yarder.

Loosening my grip and not trying to be Dustin Johnson on every swing has brought me down to a 4
dahouse
AG
I have a bad back so I have limited rounds in the chamber. Gotta pick my spots to go big or I won't be able to walk the next day.

I would imagine a professional club fitting would help out a lot, but I have kids and they need clothes and shoes and dance class and so on.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
BTD
Due to turning your shoulders more and finishing your swing?
Forum Troll
AG
It's not all that strange. Some people have an over active lower body and can leave their arms lagging behind. Swinging faster can simply sync the upper and lower body and as long as your path and face are reasonable the ball will go straight
ChoppinDs40
AG
BTD said:

Due to turning your shoulders more and finishing your swing?
bingo - if your miss is a push it means you've got an inside out swing path and your face is square to the path (also assuming it's a dead straight push).

Usually when you "swing harder" it results in more turn. For inside-out swingers, more turn will "straighten" your swing as you swing more "left" (for right-handed guys).

My typical azimuth on a good rip is about 2-4*. When I'm being lazy and not ripping it and getting my shoulders and hips all the way through (exit shoulder turn of about 130*), my azimuth goes to about 6-7*, blocking it right or having an overcurve/draw.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.